Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

As above - my turbo has blown but my mechanical knowledge is rubbish.
Was there more than one turbo fitted to these or are they all the same? I've found what are listed as turbos for the 159 and Brera Tbi engine with the following part number 53039700149 but whenever I ask if this will fit my car I get asked for the number on the fitted turbo and I don't know what I'm looking for.
I live in the middle of nowhere so want to get the car trailered to the garage with the replacement ready to go. If there were two different ones fitted over the years I can always order both and send back whichever I don't need.
So will the above fit a 2010 Brera Tbi and if there is another can someone please help out with the name/model/part number please?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The part number will be on a plate secured to the turbo,no idea if more than 1 type was fitted to those engines.
When turbo gets replaced make sure the feed pipe is replaced and the gauze filter is removed from banjo bolt. Also fresh oil and filter is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnny.
I've already ordered an upgraded feed pipe. As well as oil and filter I'm going to get the sump cleaned out as well.
I've found a pic showing the plate you mention so hopefully using that as a reference I'll be able to find it now.
Cheers

·
Registered
Brera TBi
142 Posts
What's the upgraded oil feed pipe you mention?

I've just bought a low mileage TBI that I believe to be completely stock and would like to do anything I can to increase the longevity of it.

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
356 Posts
The older turbos were on cars before 2011/02 and the newer turbos were after that date. The newer code is 55232225 and the older code is 55224275. The newer version apperently has a titanium impeller and boosts quicker.
Both are Borg Warner K03 turbos and both will fit.

A K04 tutbo from the Euro5 GQV will also fit drectly. Car will run fine with same 200 hp but lose noticeable low end torque compared to the K03 turbo.
K03 with good map will go to 250-255 hp - some mumbu jumbo laptop tuners will promise even more (not possible without headwork)
K04 will max out at 275-280 hp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic thank you! What I'm looking at would seem to be the newer K03. Car is mapped to about 250 and I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Use the cheapest original BW you can get hold on. Much better and cheaper to send the blown one in for a refurb, with better bearings ( unless housing is cracked)

A maxed out 250 hp mapped K03 often fails caused by the stock cat. You would need a 2-300 cell sportcat or downpipe (decat). Safe map with stock cat is some 230-235 hp - same as a Euro5 GQV using same cat.
Loose impellers, blown bearings or cracked housing is what happens...
That’s also one of the reasons the Giulietta Squadra Corse (280 hp) is full decat even with the slightly larger K04 turbo. Staying safe, the GQV max out a some 300 hp full decat on std K04.

Let me suggest this K03 hybrid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at them for the replacement refurb, so in the long run this will be a better buy. About £300 extra but for piece of mind....
I'll replace the oil feeder pipe with the upgraded Giulietta one and also as I was getting the "Low Oil switch off engine" light I'll do the oil pump inner seal at the same time.
See how it all works and if necessary I'll get it mapped again, but hopping it won't need that with the current one.

I want it all done right as not many of these about.

Thank you again for you're help and advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts