Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows what could be the issue here? Ive got alot of play in the steering wheel (about 1cm :O) when driving striaght, ive so far replaced inner tie rod ends on the steering rack, upper wishbones without any improvement. The car wanderes on the straights like im driving on ice, terrible to drive on the motorway. There is no play in the steering axle as far as I can tell, could it be the coupling to the steering rack or the steering rack itself, anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Here’s my check list to rule out :-
Jack the car up, check for play wobbling the wheel at the 3 & 9’ O Clock position, same again but at 6 & 12 also rotate the alloy wheel checking for excess play and noise.

Have alignment checked.

Check for even tyre tread depth & tyre pressure
Also worth a check to see if your steering rack bolts are torqued to the right spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s my check list to rule out :-
Jack the car up, check for play wobbling the wheel at the 3 & 9’ O Clock position, same again but at 6 & 12 also rotate the alloy wheel checking for excess play and noise.

Have alignment checked.

Check for even tyre tread depth & tyre pressure
Also worth a check to see if your steering rack bolts are torqued to the right spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply Clay. No play at 3 or 9 o clock position since I replayced the upper wishbones, tyres are brand new and pressure is up to spec, slightly more wear inside because I have lowering springs and slight camber, but the issue was there even before lowering the car. The play feels mechanical and i can hear a slight mechanical clunk turning the wheel when its up on a lift but I can not pinpoint where the noise is coming from, inner tie rods have been replaced aswell..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Clay. No play at 3 or 9 o clock position since I replayced the upper wishbones, tyres are brand new and pressure is up to spec, slightly more wear inside because I have lowering springs and slight camber, but the issue was there even before lowering the car. The play feels mechanical and i can hear a slight mechanical clunk turning the wheel when its up on a lift but I can not pinpoint where the noise is coming from, inner tie rods have been replaced aswell..
Btw, alignment done after replacing springs.

·
Registered
Brera TBi
196 Posts
You haven't mentioned the lower wishbones being replaced, have you considered the bushes on these being goosed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts