Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked me Spider up last week but it came with the 17 inch 5 spoke alloys which aren't my favourites. I'm looking at options in 18 and 19 inch sizes, I'd prefer the Alfa wire spoke design but can't find them on the web, they seem to be a choice when you buy the car but aren't in the accessory catalogue ?? the Ti/LE 19's are an option but price might put me off plus I'm not sure how it will affect the comfort/harshness of car.

So, does anyone know part codes for the alloys? are there any good Alfa replica wheels around? and how much different will 18/19's be to 17's??

photos/suggested suggestions for suppliers greatly received as google must be sick of me :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
From mine and other people's experience larger wheels reduce tyre life significantly due to negative camber on fronts. The inside of the tyres is disappearing at an alarming rate. My 19's for example consumed the front tires within a mere 9000 miles while 17s last 20-25K miles.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The following wheels are available from Alfa:

SIZE ( CODE ) DESCRIPTION
18 (420) SPOKE DESIGN ALLOYS
18 (5A6) 5 HOLE DESIGN
18 (5J6) 7 HOLE DESIGN
18 (439) WIRE SPOKE DESIGN (THE ONES YOU REFER TO I THINK)

These are the current options I believe for 18 inch alloys.

Martin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the codes are all options when you purchase, you can't buy them as a kit afterwards you have to buy each wheel individually at about £350 per wheel :eek:

tyre life and comfort is an issue and whilst I like the look of the 18 and 19's from reading the forum it does seem like they wear on the inside and its going to get expensive in tyres. Hmm, maybe 17 is the best option, choices, choices :)

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the five hole Brera 17 inch wheels to be honest - got them on my 159

Stoneacre Garages in Yorkshire still seem to be advertising Ti 19 inch wheels here >>>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-BRERA-SPIDER-159-19-ALLOY-WHEEL-KIT_W0QQitemZ260358400723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET?hash=item260358400723&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

18 inch 5 hole wheels are available from Partsworld at about 750 quid without tyres

Its an expensive business once you start looking at upgrading wheels :rolleyes:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 18" horse shoes on my 2.4 JTDM Brera. After the first set of tyres wore out at 17,000 miles, I took it to my local dealer and had all the settings (castor, camber etc) set to the most neutral they could achieve within Alfa's published tolerances.

The handling of the car (IMHO) is in no way negatively impacted and the tyres now have 6,000 miles behind them and are looking great; the inner edge wear has been pretty much completely eliminated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
doh, i keep coming back round to 18's as being a balance between running cost/comfort and handling.

Found this site which had a good choice of after market wheels to start hunting through.

Does anyone know how much difference 7.5 to 8 width makes? other than the obvious 12.5mm!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a set of original Alfa Romeo 18" wire spokes for sale.

Lurking in the shed - need the room

3 wheels immaculate, one wheel with a few minor abrasions painted out.

4 x Pirelli Zero Nero - vgc. Very low mileage - two with +7mm , 2 with +6mm, all with even wear from a lightweight, nicely balanced, gently driven 2.2 :)

Sensible offers invited - PM if interested for photos / exact tread depths etc.

Located 1 mile from M40 / M25 junction.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a set of original Alfa Romeo 18" wire spokes for sale.

Lurking in the shed - need the room

3 wheels immaculate, one wheel with a few minor abrasions painted out.

4 x Pirelli Zero Nero - vgc. Very low mileage - two with +7mm , 2 with +6mm, all with even wear from a lightweight, nicely balanced, gently driven 2.2 :)

Sensible offers invited - PM if interested for photos / exact tread depths etc.

Located 1 mile from M40 / M25 junction.
PM sent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts