Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I noticed some hummidity in the trunk my 2007 Alfa Spider. Some investigation revealed a lot of water in the spare wheel space (not sure if this a proper word, but explenation is hopefully clear :)).

My first thought was that I (or my better half) had forgotten to close the lid properly, which would explain for the water. Also checked the rubbersealings and these al seem ok.

However, yesterday evening I checked again. And again water in the spare wheel space.

Has anyone experienced this as well?
Or has anyone any suggestion on what might have caused this?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Trunk....? :eek:

If you mean the boot... :D ..have a look behind the carpet around the rear lights. I've not go a Brera but I've had cars with water in the boot before and the cause was water getting in from behind the light clusters. They may need to be taken out, seals cleaned, re-seated (put some gasket sealant on there) and then re-tightened up.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, i do mean the boot :) (my apologies for my English...;)).
And thanks for the reply.

I did some searching with my friend Google, and I found out that is not a unique issue.
I read a issue from a Brera driver who had the same (inches of water in de spare wheel hole). And turned out to be a broken taillight seal.

This weekend I will check the seals on the Spider. If there is an update, I will post it here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out that e lot of water is coming in through the seal roof storag (when folded). Wil clean and re-seal the rubber this afternoon.
Fingers crossed.... ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I had this issue with my spider.
It went to the dealer with it.
They said to make sure all the drains weren't blocked.
Especially the ones which flow next to the rear light clusters.
I think there may be a drain under the spare wheel which they unblocked too, but i didn't see where that was.
It still occasionally gets damp, but its less frequent now.

James

·
Registered
35 Posts
had my spider in for same problem inches of water in wheelwell ,needed a new seal round the boot, it is a common fault theyre are other threads about it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned the drains which are near the doors (3).
Cleaned and re-sealed the seales (1, 2, 4).
This does seem to keep the boot dry. A lot of rain is expected in the area, so within a few days I will be able to confirm teh succes :) (i know, a water hose will do the job as well).

I didn't find a drain in the spare wheel area. But I'm quite sure the water comes from the seal around the roof boot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The actions from my last post weren't helpfull. Still water in the boot.
Next I completely removed the sealing from the top storage, and refitted this. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Since some frosty weather was expected i didn't try a water-hose test. As of last week the winter is gone and the rain is back. As is the water in the boot. Not as must as usual, but it's there :-(

Now I'm suspecting that the sealing is just bad. I noticed in some other postst that the trunk seal was replaced for the same reason (bas sealing), but that is in my case not where the water comes from. I'm 100% sure that the sealing which should seal of the cover of the roof (when folded) is leaking.

So the next step is ordering the proper seals and fit them.

keep you al posted. BTW, if anyone has found a solution other then replacing the seals, let me know. I'm happy the learn :).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Can't speak for the Spider but I had the same problem in the Brera. Used to end up with 3-4 inches in the spare wheel well (obviously not called a well for nothing). The water was getting in behind the boot trim and running under the raised carpet.

It was a nipped and damaged seal around the back light cluster when they had the bumper off. All out and replaced under warranty and not a drop since (2 yrs).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the cause of the leak. The top of the boot consists of 2 parts, and the sealing between was bad. Removed the top, resealed an put back together again.
Wil do the testing this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after a few weeks some heavy showers and a thourough waterhose experience on the Spider I didn't found any water anymore in the boot. Not a drop.
So I'm happy to say that my issue with the water leakage is solved after the last action.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Walfa156,

I have the same issue and have tracked it down to the seal between the 2 hood parts. (some of the bolts are rusty) and the inner lining is wet.

can I ask what you used to reseal the 2 parts and did you allow the sealent to fill the little gutter.

Also are there any tricky bits I need to be aware of.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Nimbus.

I used a sealent which is also used to seal windows in older cars, where still a rubber is used.
The sealant doesn't harden and thus stays flexible.

Before using the sealant I seperated the two parts (see the pictures in an earler post). Is quite simple. The only thing to look out for is not dropping the bolts. There are also two or three screws, which must be removed.
Since you already noticed the rusted bolts I assume you already the removed the cover which is in the inside of the cover (mounted with the rubber "buttons").

I didn't allow the sealant to fill the little gutter. You can see the sealant in my case, but you must know it's there :)

Succes!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Nimbus and Walfa156

I have a 2008 Spider and believe I may have the same issue. I noticed a lot of condensation/moisture in the boot and then maybe 1-2 inches in the spare wheel 'well'.

I already checked/tested spraying water at the rear lights and can see no water ingress. Also, I checked the drain points near the doors (with roof down) and found no issue.

When I inspected the hood storage compartment there was dampness and white mould developing on the underside of the storage compartment lid (on the fabric). I did not see this thread prior to my investigation but next step will be to remove the fabric backing (I saw the rubber buttons) and see if the bolts are rusty.

Regarding the sealant, what type should I be looking for? Do you have any pictures/details so I can use something similar? I assume they were sealed when manufactured - did you guys check with Alfa on what is recommended?

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Letting Water out of the Boot (trunk) in a 2008 Spider

I bought my wife a 2008 Spider for Christmas and when I checked it at the dealer I saw that part of the boot floor was a bit wet, but didn't regard as a serious enough problem to stop me buying the car as I am used to having water leaks in convertibles.

During February I started working through a few improvements to the car including removing the boot floor to dry it, and like the rest of you I found a couple of inches of water in the spare wheel well.

I dried out the boot floor OK, but haven't yet tracked down the cause of the leak, although like others of you the underside of the hood tonneau cover was also damp, so I removed and dried this as well.

I assumed that Alfa would have expected water to accumulate in the spare wheel well so looked for a way to drain it. I removed the tools and spare wheel, and then the triangular pyramid shaped bit of steel that holds the wheel in place. Underneath this is a round grommet about 1" in diameter. This was sealed in place, but I managed to lever it out with a screwdriver and all the water drained away.

I scraped the remaining sealant off the plastic grommet which has three small springy clips built into it, which by their nature leave very small holes in the grommet. After cleaning and polishing the spare wheel well, I re-fitted the grommet. If any more water does get into the spare wheel well, it should drain straight out again.

I hope this helps, and I will follow the advice from the rest of you about tracing the source of the leak.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
:thumbup: Thanks Tony, I didn't know there was a drainage point!
I've had a paddling pool in my car on and off for years :biglaugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Spider has a very wet boot (4 inches of water) which I cleared last week and checked all the seals; a few days later after some rain it's wet again so I think it could be the seal between the two hood parts (see picture) - I will dismantle and seal it tomorrow and see if that works. I can't imagine the water is coming on from anywhere else as it's in both the hood compartment and the boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
My Spider has a very wet boot (4 inches of water) which I cleared last week and checked all the seals; a few days later after some rain it's wet again so I think it could be the seal between the two hood parts (see picture) - I will dismantle and seal it tomorrow and see if that works. I can't imagine the water is coming on from anywhere else as it's in both the hood compartment and the boot.
I bought my Brera 12 months ago and and 3 weeks later noticed about 2 inches of water in the boot. Cleaned and dried it out and tissue around spare wheel well. 2 days later it rained so checked the boot. More water and it had come from ofside area. Boot seal was fine but accidentily knocked the offside light cluster and it nearly dropped out. Checked and found that 3 of the 4 nuts securing it were loose and the 4th only finger tight. Removed lens and found the seal was perfect so replaced it, tightened the 4 nuts and the boot has been completely dry for the last 11 months. Simple fix but happy that I knocked that lens.....4 bolts for each unit are long so you will need a long 10mm socket, probably why the previous owner only did them up finger tight. Hope this solves your problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts