Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got myself a brand new Brera recently. Absolutely smittened by it!
Still learning about her daily. Just wanted to seek opinions on some erratic behaviour so far.

- There's an intermittent almost knockish sound sometimes while shifting gears... While the clutch is engaged. Is this normal?
- I'm kind of running her in at the moment, whats the recommended rev limit? Havent gone past 4k.
- Driver side wing mirror one day opened up from its closed position and went further past the default position. Closing and reopening didnt work! Ended up having to physically yank it back to its correct position. Is there a fault with it?

Other than that, seems to be pretty well put together. No creaks, rocking seats nor groans yet... Touch wood. Feels better built than my 159.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Great spec - wish we had Ti's over here!

I'm not familiar with the 1750 but that sounds like normal dual mass flywheel noises to me.

The mirror issue sounds like a return to dealership fault.

As for running in, do 1k miles taking it easy but don't labour the engine. After that, drive it like an Alfa;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks squadrone! The driver side mirror seems to have fixed itself but still appears slightly off. Might need to get this examined during my first service. I didnt know the 1750Tbi had a dual mass clutch? Wasnt it only in the 2.4 Jtds? Anyway, doesnt really bother me... Still enjoying the honeymoon period with her. All smiles!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Many thanks squadrone! The driver side mirror seems to have fixed itself but still appears slightly off. Might need to get this examined during my first service. I didnt know the 1750Tbi had a dual mass clutch? Wasnt it only in the 2.4 Jtds? Anyway, doesnt really bother me... Still enjoying the honeymoon period with her. All smiles!
The 1.9 & 2.2 petrols both have DMF. Could be that. Enjoy the car:D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took her out for a sub 100km run today. Very impressed with the TBi engine. Had a nice creamy smooth pull even in higher gears. Handled beautifully through the twisties too! I'm soo loving this car at the moment! Dare I say my best Alfa yet!!!

Some pics :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Sucks to be you come time to change the tyres, the first thing i'd do is ensure it aligned properly quickly otherwise you'll be forking out over £500 on good front tyres every few thousand miles.

Have a kook at the sticky threads at the top of the brera tech section for more information.

I like the steering wheel, i wonder if those are available from the dealer and if its a straight swap...

·
Registered
460 Posts
- There's an intermittent almost knockish sound sometimes while shifting gears... While the clutch is engaged. Is this normal?
Uhm... can you elaborate on that? i have a 1750 Spider, not a Brera, but should be pretty much the same, and can't feel any particular sound when switching gear..

- I'm kind of running her in at the moment, whats the recommended rev limit? Havent gone past 4k.
During the first 5000 km i avoided revving harder than 4K, after that, and a nice day at Monza circuit, i started pushing it a little bit harder... i'm at 15K km now, and generally speaking the car is quite happy to rev, even on the track.

- Driver side wing mirror one day opened up from its closed position and went further past the default position. Closing and reopening didnt work! Ended up having to physically yank it back to its correct position. Is there a fault with it?
I would say yes... it's been fixed under warranty cover to several people i know, it usually shows up after some time (one year usually): check with your dealer.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm aware of the set to zero setting. I burnt through my first set of tyres on the 159 and even though that was 17", I've learnt my lesson.
Ricky, it's almost like a quiet thump occasionally, as though I didn't get the revs high up enough to have a smooth shift. Again, happens intermittently only. Hmmm

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Its a pity they didnt hold on to brera production long enough to have a TCT all alloy 1750 with 300 bhp that is being touted for the 4C, it would certainly ave filed a gap, even if it were detuned to make it less competitive to the 4C

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ricky, it's almost like a quiet thump occasionally, as though I didn't get the revs high up enough to have a smooth shift. Again, happens intermittently only. Hmmm
hmmm.... no, i cannot feel any thump clutch-operation related. it's normal to feel the "thump", but i would not call it a real "thump" when changin gear, related to the feedback of the gear lever, but it's the normal feeling you always get, and it's not intermittent, but consistent every time.

Its a pity they didnt hold on to brera production long enough to have a TCT all alloy 1750 with 300 bhp that is being touted for the 4C, it would certainly ave filed a gap, even if it were detuned to make it less competitive to the 4C

They wouldn't have put on it anyway... too expensive and too much trouble :/ they already had the 235 that can already be tuned to 275, and didn't bother to..

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Never mind the noises and tyre possible issues, that is one stunning looking car! Wow. Enjoy every second of it, I know I would.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Clutches can stick a little, leading to a slight thump being felt when - say - waiting at a junction with the clutch supposedly disengaged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts