Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..
I am very curious about the BreraS. I have read a few conflicting reviews about, the handling and road comfort. ( Clarkson hated it, from reviews in the Times Online.)..Also the 2.2 vs 3.2 traditional discussion

I think it looks thew business with those 8c style wheels..

Any of you out there got one, and got an opinion?

Cheers
Goose

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hello all..
I am very curious about the BreraS. I have read a few conflicting reviews about, the handling and road comfort. ( Clarkson hated it, from reviews in the Times Online.)..Also the 2.2 vs 3.2 traditional discussion

I think it looks thew business with those 8c style wheels..

Any of you out there got one, and got an opinion?

Cheers
Goose
I got to drive one at a local Alfa dealers and loved it - smooth, powerful and utterly stunning id have one in a heart beat as Ferris Bueller said all be it about a Ferrari "If you have the means id recomend picking one up" :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi goose,just buy it !! got to be one of the best looking cars on the road today..unfortunately i will just have to keep dreaming of one..all i know is you wont be leaving any imprezas at the lights but you will look 10 times cooler !!!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The lack of kit really puts me off:( If the 3.2 was spec'd up I'd have one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..I am not in the market to buy one now, due to various reasons, but I really wanted to know the opinions of people who have them/driven them..It may be my first Alfa!

Seemed to be a prefect compromise of the style of the Brera and perhaps a bit more of a sporty nature, rather than it's original GT intention. I was just confused about conflicting reviews....

Cheers
Goose

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think a number of you miss the point of this car. The only kit it lacks is Bluetooth, I don't want to use the phone while driving and if you want you can get a parrot kit. It has no auto headlights, good as they are a pain in the ar*e and I can tell when it is dark, same goes for rain sensing wipers. The skyview is a shame but I can do without it and some of the interior trim is plastic which I have never even noticed when driving it.

If you look at many other manufacturers they spec up top of the range models and leave some of the luxuries from the intended sportier models.

On the plus it drives and looks so much better than a standard 2.2 IMHO

If you like them, buy one, if its not your cup of tea there are plenty of other specced models around with all the creature comforts.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think a number of you miss the point of this car. The only kit it lacks is Bluetooth, I don't want to use the phone while driving and if you want you can get a parrot kit. It has no auto headlights, good as they are a pain in the ar*e and I can tell when it is dark, same goes for rain sensing wipers. The skyview is a shame but I can do without it and some of the interior trim is plastic which I have never even noticed when driving it.

If you look at many other manufacturers they spec up top of the range models and leave some of the luxuries from the intended sportier models.

On the plus it drives and looks so much better than a standard 2.2 IMHO

If you like them, buy one, if its not your cup of tea there are plenty of other specced models around with all the creature comforts.
TOTALY AGREE:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont need my creature comforts but i do like them when I'm spending 25k+ :lol: The lack of SV or i should say the lack of Alfa not being bothered to fit a blind into the headlining spoilt it for me :( as for a while id wanted a Brera SV and when the S came along i was eager for details and prices when i found out it had no SV and no choice of options i bowed to the pressure of the other half and we got a Spider LE :cool: With both of us sharing the car its a godsend having memory seats as i could never get comfortable after my seat had been moved :rolleyes: and heated seats are a must with leather in the winter :) anything else doesn't realy bother me the Blue and me i rarely use and most of the other gadgets dont increase my driving pleasure at all just wish it had my old V6 in it :cheese: who needs anything more :lol: I'm hoping like others that the long awaited Brera ti will share some components and style of the S but have the choice of options and have SV Fingers Crossed :)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
As a fan of the Brera and not wishing to put S owners noses out of joint I was underwhelmed by the test drive I had in the 2.2S. It was completely gutless and the performance didn't make up for the harsh ride that came with the suspension set up. I also thought the steering was over-light, which was strange because I hadn't noticed that in any other Breras I've driven.

Horses for courses though and if handling is more important to you than comfort it is a beautiful looking car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, all the posts here sort of echo the polarity of the reviews, and as I thought, it's a case of you buy what suits your needs the best..

Cheers
Goose

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I took a 2.2 round Thruxton last year at the Alfa trackday and I thought it was a very good drive, far better than the standard Brera. Having said that, it was a very firm ride and I'm not sure how that would translate onto normal roads. Stunning looking car though, so who cares! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my Brera S a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. Considering you're getting leather seats, 19" alloys, metallic paint and the prodrive set-up for £500 more than the basic 17" alloyed non-metallic cloth clad car it's well worth it. Also, there's good discounts on the S.

It was hard to justify to myself buying the standard car, adding on metallic paint, nice alloys, leather interior, and SV. I'd have paid a good few grand extra just to add on the SV. Also when I drove them, the S was a more enjoyable drive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All personal opinions aside, I think it is good for the entire model range and all you other non S Brera owners that Alfa didn't go balls out with the spec on the S.

I had a number of GT's before the Brera and whilst I had one and loved it, the Blackline (along with the age of the GT model accepted) killed residual prices of GT's. People paid a fortune to spec up GT's with Leather, Bose, big wheels etc and then Alfa threw them all in for free bringing the residuals of well specced Lussos right down.

So, horses for courses and maybe a bit of good business sense from Alfa?

Limited editions are great for getting people interested in a new car and they all have their good bits and some bits missing, Spider LE, 159 Ti, 159 LE, GT Blackline, GT Cloverleaf etc etc.

Also don't forget that the S probably did a lot for the other MY08 Breras with some of the lighter components and the LSD carrying through.

To finish, you have to remember that most of the journos that didn't warm to the S slated the original model more.

Here's a link to a good review, more so as It features my own car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7haVVZ204s

·
Registered
171 Posts
:cheese: Originally posted by Hunter - "As a fan of the Brera and not wishing to put S owners noses out of joint I was underwhelmed by the test drive I had in the 2.2S. It was completely gutless and the performance didn't make up for the harsh ride that came with the suspension set up. I also thought the steering was over-light, which was strange because I hadn't noticed that in any other Breras I've driven.

Horses for courses though and if handling is more important to you than comfort it is a beautiful looking car."

No nose out of joint, I know what I would rather thrash round the lanes in in this lovely weather we are havin'. Let me see, the S or an estate taxi:tut: Not wanting to put noses out of joint:cheese:

Disclaimer - I love (nearly) all Alfas!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
No nose out of joint, I know what I would rather thrash round the lanes in in this lovely weather we are havin'. Let me see, the S or an estate taxi:tut: Not wanting to put noses out of joint:cheese:

Disclaimer - I love (nearly) all Alfas!
Oooh, touchy.

The OP asked for an opinion from those who had driven the car - I gave mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ooh dear, I even got your name wrong, blaming Hunter.

Only a bit of banter. I need to replace the family wagon soon, and if I had the brass would I love a 159SW. YES....

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think we have been over this stoney ground on previous threads. All I can say is that my SV6 is a fabulous car not only in looks but the way it handles. It is the finest driver's car in the Brera range without a doubt. I for one find the 159 a bit too soft and prefer the "harsh ride" as some say. Horses for courses. As regards the SV issue, I don't even notice it missing, as I feel coccooned in my car and part of the driving experience. Some people should drive the car before passing their judgement. As regards the "plastic" if a piece of silver plastic trim on the steering wheel and across the dash is what would deter someone from the car, they are missing the point of this vehicle. Weight reduction has improved it no end, it doesn't need 4wd, heated seats etc, handles perfectly, doesn't float like some other Alfas do, and as far as I'm concerned, is the dogs b00llocks in the Alfa range, 8C apart.
Andy.:cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts