Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Brera S the same height as the SV? I've heard some dealers will retrofit this suspension to the SV.

I've also heard that aftermarkets offer better suspension... but people seem to love the Brera S suspension for cornering (bit hard for motorways or bumpy roads?)

I quite like the idea of lowering the Brera a bit but not enough to bottom out on speed bumps. Wouldn't mind stiffening it a bit but don't want to lose ride comfort, it's such a great long distance GT. Should I just leave it alone? Maybe just get 19s instead?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Morning Commander,

The S is 10 mm lower than the standard car.

I had the 2.4 SV before the S and while the ride in the S is not as 'plush' as the SV, I don't find it too harsh on anything but the roughest roads. Motorways (which I do plenty of) are absolutely fine. The handling when you chuck it about a bit is a squillion times better.

Aftermarkets may well do 'better' suspension in terms of what is cool or in vogue, but I think you'd be very lucky to find items to improve on the result of Prodrive's research.

Although the S is a little lower, because the car wallows so much less, it handles speed bumps much better. Bumps I had to take at walking pace in the SV now pose no problems.

HTH,

John

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Is the Brera S the same height as the SV? I've heard some dealers will retrofit this suspension to the SV.

I've also heard that aftermarkets offer better suspension... but people seem to love the Brera S suspension for cornering (bit hard for motorways or bumpy roads?)

I quite like the idea of lowering the Brera a bit but not enough to bottom out on speed bumps. Wouldn't mind stiffening it a bit but don't want to lose ride comfort, it's such a great long distance GT. Should I just leave it alone? Maybe just get 19s instead?
I think I rememer an article with autodelta saying the "S" springs were stiffer than the usual aftermarket ones (Eibach Pro kit probably). Quite possibly cheaper to get an Eibach/Koni FSD combo fitted than retrofit the "S" combo.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This might sound quite bizarre but the wife's Brera, 2.2 JTS Sv on 18" wheels, is lower than my 3.2 S.
I know this because they are parked side by side in my garage.:confused:
As Mediaman says, squillion times better handling but as I have posted on this forum before, the S is a different car completely to a "standard" Brera.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
When I collected my SV last week on 18inch horseshoes it was sitting next to an S and it also appeared lower. It is on a standard setup!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was the S it was next to a 3.2 or 2.2? I think I read something about the 2.4s and 3.2s being different in some way to the 2.2

Certainly yesterday looking at my 2.2 I thought it doesn't look tall at all. Doesn't really need lowering.

·
Registered
831 Posts
why don't you check the 159 threads. there are quite a few people that swapped standard suspension for aftermarket stuff - I for example have a set of KW V2 coilovers and after a few adjustments I managed to tune them to give the right compromise between handling and comfort for me, something I think no stock car (even factory tuned) can achieve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts