Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a very much loved alfa GT and feeling it's now time to upgrade. The gt has served me well and I've just cleaned out the turbo, manifold, throttle body and blanked the egr. it's running better than ever but after 2 years with that, and 2 with a 147, all trouble free, I feel like a change.

I've been looking at the Brera, particularly the 2.2 jts s version. I'll admit I glanced at 3 series of a3's, but the brera s looks stunning.

I was looking for some advise from s owners in comparison to non s owners if it's worth the extra mullah, and also if the extra goodies cause any headaches not standard to all petrol breras?

Off to test drive my first brera this weekend!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The lack of a headlining open to the glass roof and no blue and me are the main niggles over a regular SV Brera.

Suspension and exhaust don't make it less civilised.

Ideally the leather dash (optional on a 2.2) is desirable.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think they are really nice. Tight and stiff enough ride to keep you smiling. Punchy enough so you can have some fun. Refined and comfy on the inside. These are all the negative things I can think of.

Mid section of the exhaust system is cheap and nasty and prone to rot.
rocky seat issue
seat belt is a bit tricky to reach and put on.
dont like the cruise control seperate arm on the steerling wheel.
It should really have intergrated sat nav as standard.
the 2.2 JTS is not frugle. Its ok but its drinks a bit too much for the performance.

--------

thats it really. I think its a cracking car. Theres very few cars in the class I would take over a prodrive S. My advice would be go full banzaaii mode and get the V6 and forget about the extra costs. BTW im selling my project cat d prodrive S with 14K on the clock. I do need to see about 11.5 for it though. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go with the S . If you buy the standard Brera you'll only want to add all the S bits anyway and will cost you a lot more afterwards.
Should have just bought the S ! But unfortunately can't get a diesel S !
The suspension and the wheels alone are enough reason to go for the S

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tyre size and the best tyres for Breara s

Hello All
After selling my GTV CUP a few months ago- i am back with Alfa-
I have today purchsed a Breara 2.2 s prodrive in stunning black

I dont pick it up until Sunday but wondered if any one out there knows
the tyre size and best tyres for this car
thanks
ken

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pirelli pzero Nero 235 40 19
Vredesteins are also good and there's always the debate on the Acceleras ! ( I personally don't rate them )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go for the v6 had a normal 2.2 before my v6 s and you don't save a lot on fuel! Oh and stay away from Michelin super sports, done 4k miles and they are down to 3mm :cry: and I don't class myself and hard driver and no track use!

But cracking car absolutely love it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Guys
Many thanks for the info-
I have already purchsed the 2.2- absolutly fell in love at 1st sight
gleaming black and i get it Sunday-
I have the framed ltd edit plaque on my wall now- wonderful
ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had my black brera s for about 18 months and loved the styling and unique experience. Having previously had a diesel 156 I missed the torque for overtaking so eventually swapped for my current car, my childhood dream car the trusted 911.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I went from a GT to a 2.2s too.

LOOOVE it!

Kinda wish i went for the v6 when i read that the mpg isn't a lot worse! But you're gonna love it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't speak for the 2.2 but I've had a V6 S for just over a year now and I don't regret for one minute buying it.

Yes, it's thirsty (usually get about 20-22 mpg with normal driving and about 15-18 mpg if you attach the enthusiastic right foot option to your body :)) but then if you buy a car like that I don't think you should expect anything else really!

The Prodrive exhaust is superb and sounds amazing - though I don't think my neighbours are so keen on it!
The interior is excellent with the brushed aluminium and leather everywhere, although the steering column controls are a bit flimsy and cost a fortune to replace if they go wrong as it's all one unit (yes I do speak from experience!).

The ride is firm but not uncomfortable and the handling is fantastic. I've just had my front bushes changed to Powerflex ones and it has totally transformed the handling to another level.

As others have said, if you can afford it go for the V6, but if not then you'll still love the 2.2.
And it doesn't take long before you notice that almost everyone looks as you drive past them! :thumbs:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello All
I have the black beast-- 2.2 Brera s in black-- got it Sunday -stunning looking car -
begs to be driven and trys to encourage me to keep putting my foot down-
But having the trip on MPG overall and driving mpg make you realize heavy accelleration
can drop it to 10 mpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- briefly of course--
I seem to average around 34-- good/bad ?????????
Any way at this moment i love it - lets see for how long
Gaz 156- where did you have the bushes done please--is it really that much better than
what the Prodrive already has
i am in Bristol
so not so easy to get to JPorter from here

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello All
I have the black beast-- 2.2 Brera s in black-- got it Sunday -stunning looking car -
begs to be driven and trys to encourage me to keep putting my foot down-
But having the trip on MPG overall and driving mpg make you realize heavy accelleration
can drop it to 10 mpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- briefly of course--
Any way at this moment i love it - lets see for how long
Gaz 156- where did you have the bushes done please--is it really that much better than
what the Prodrive already has
i am in Bristol
so not so easy to get to JPorter from here
Congrats on the new car! :thumbs:
Yeah I've found it best to keep the trip computer off. 34 mpg sounds about right to me. Like I said I average about 22-23 mpg in the V6 and that's being careful.

I got the bushes done at Autolusso in Houghton Regis, near Dunstable.

Check out this thread for more details:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/368910-autolusso-159-and-brera-alignment-sorted.html

Prodrive didn't change the bushes from the original ones when they changed the suspension. The original bushes have a lot of play in them which affects the handling. Check out the before and after videos in the above thread too.

Quite a few people have had them changed and everyone has noticed the difference in the handling especially under load in hard cornering.

Hope that helps anyway.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
34 is amazingly good! I have the 2.2 (but in a Spider) and if I drive like a pensioner doing a steady 60 on the motorway I can average around that figure.
My real world mpg is somewhere in the upper twenties.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Never got 34 in my 2.2. Trip computer used to lie and tell me I was getting 31 but when I worked it out myself it was closer up 25.

Moved to the 3.2 and got a lot more grunt and only lost 2mpg.

2.2 really underpowered for what it drinks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brera s---how many

Hello All
I have now had my Brers 2.2 s prodrive for 3 weeks and love it
Any one out there know how many of the 2.2 version were made
i know 500 in total but i presume this includes the v6
Also i am looking for a little brouchure that is around on the BRERA S PRODRIVE
anyone out there with one they want to sell to me ???
Also- i only have one key for my Alfa any one know how i get another one -will need to be
programed to my car of course

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The book can often be found on eBay for a few quid.

A key needs to be got though a dealer or a local indie and programmed to your car. You'll also need the code from Alfa but they should be able to get that.

The price is going to hurt, but hopefully less from an indie. But there is no way around it.

Expect at least £300

1 - 18 of 18 Posts