Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've been an alfa owner for 8 years.

For the past 4 years I've been lucky enough to own an '08 Brera S, 2.2jts in Black with the mangoletsi Mod 4 upgrade.

I'm in a quandary at the moment so thought i'd turn to the forum.

As well as being a lucky brera owner, I am also lucky enough to have a 10 month old son, who, very soon, will need dropping off at nursery. Do you see where i'm going here? There is no room for him in the car!

My first thought was to get rid of the car and buy a practical car with 4 doors. But this leads me to the reason for the post...is getting rid of the car a sensible choice?

I've heard lots of comments over the years about the Brera, specifically the Brera S, being a future classic whose value will only increase. Is this true or a load of rubbish?

Do I cash in and part ex, or do I hold tight in the hope that in 10 years it may be increasing in value.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I would think an original brera S Prodrive edition would become a collectors item in many many years, more so the V6. The good thing you have on your side is Veloces of London keeping the values up buying them all up and selling them for silly moneys

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
First question - can you afford to have a second / third car sitting around, gathering dust and tin-worm?
Personally, I'd try and keep the Brera as it'll be hitting the bottom of its' depreciation curve soon enough. You'll get precious little for an 8yo car as it's too young to be a "classic" yet, but too old to be valuable to the reg-plate snobs.
Only you know your circumstances though - and maybe a bangernomics 159 would hit the spot in practicality terms, and ultimately work out cheaper than a new G ?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
think the whole 159/ Brera line will become classics, only 10,000 159 (4,000 Brera) on the UK register to begin with, they will become a rarity soon than most, and as my boss commented, after a certain age the looks, not the Autocar review will determine whats a classic.
As you mention, the cars in demand will be the Brera S or the 159 Ti.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What an American inspired/ruined Alfa a classic?!?!????

Only kiddin, id love a Brera S although personally I reckon the 2.2 is too small an engine for it. In an ideal world id love its bigger brother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good question. In my mind, we can afford it. In the mind of my misses, the money could be spent on baby clothes.

Maybe I am answering my own question. Do I want to go up against the misses and stand my ground...or do I want an easy life?!! Hmm. Maybe i'll have to settle for telling the story in 30 years of once owning a classic but getting rid of it for a Korean family car with a substantial warranty. :weeping:

BlinkinNorah! Even the American cars become classics.....just look at the 'Pacer' ::thumbup: I do actually agree with you though, I had a nice and torquey 2.4jtdm when I bought the 2.2jts and the 2.2 felt like it needed a little more get up and go. Hence having the mod 4 upgrade done. It was no V6 that's for sure...but it made it much more tolerable.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,249 Posts
That's a good question. In my mind, we can afford it. In the mind of my misses, the money could be spent on baby clothes.

This is how you manage that one!

"Yes dear, I know we need baby cloths, but they are not so expensive. In XX years time, little one will be a big one and need to have university fees paid, the Brera might well save us when that happens". Its up to you how you work it when it does of course!

Seriously though, if I had bought and locked away a GTAm 105 when I was your age, I'd be smiling now. I'm not suggesting the Brera will ever reach GTAm territory mind you but......

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi,
As well as being a lucky brera owner, I am also lucky enough to have a 10 month old son, who, very soon, will need dropping off at nursery. Do you see where i'm going here? There is no room for him in the car!
Eh? Does your Brera not have ISOFIX mounts? You should be able to put him in a car seat in the back until he's at least 3 or 4.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Most certainly, every Brera will become a future classic, they're already a modern day classic.
They're just as stunning as ever. You can just tell by the way people look at it as if they're trying to look for the brand makers badge. You can tell by the look on their face that they have just spotted a unusual car on the U.K roads.
The V6 is certainly the better one to have because it makes the sound to go with the exotic look that the Brera pulls off well.

As for future value though, who knows? As mentioned veloces plus A is for Alfa are the people who are setting the price on high value.
For some reason the "Prodrive" attachment to the car keeps the value higher than the SV models, even though they're slower 0-62 than the heavier Q4.

As for needing a bigger car. I have my 2 year old daughter in mine without problems in loading buggies, her bike, shopping etc.

I must admit with the front facing car seat in the rear she has limited leg room and I have to take her shoes off to avoid her kicking the hell out of the rear of the leather seat so it won't get scuffs.
My passenger seat is not height adjustable so it only locks in one place which is fully back, why I don't know.

The the choice is yours if you choose to trade in for a 4 door, I've contemplated the QV Giulietta but can't seem to bring myself to get rid for a little more leg room

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've been an alfa owner for 8 years.

For the past 4 years I've been lucky enough to own an '08 Brera S, 2.2jts in Black with the mangoletsi Mod 4 upgrade.

I'm in a quandary at the moment so thought i'd turn to the forum.

My first thought was to get rid of the car and buy a practical car with 4 doors. But this leads me to the reason for the post...is getting rid of the car a sensible choice?

I've heard lots of comments over the years about the Brera, specifically the Brera S, being a future classic whose value will only increase. Is this true or a load of rubbish?

Do I cash in and part ex, or do I hold tight in the hope that in 10 years it may be increasing in value.

Thoughts?
If you want to make a judgment on "Potential Classic Status", just look how cheap 14715/GTA-s are. Most of them have been hacked and had the s--t beaten out of them. Only genuine low mileage cars are going to appreciate. That does not mean to say, those with high mileage cars are wrong. Both these cars are very special and one can understand why they acquire such high mileages.
Forget the "Classic Status". If you really like your car, find a way of keeping it. Even if it is off road, you can always come back to it. Rust is not a major problem - when you compare them to Berties, where there is hardly an original piece of tin work left on them. The Brera has style and time will not change that. What is classic in any case?

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
It's a long long way off becoming a classic.

When it's old and rare it will of course have some value.

But then, so will anything.

We have to go through the sub £1k barrier yet. That's the time to pick one up.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Definitely, definitely, a future classic. And when it is, no-one will be saying "Oh, it's only the 2.2". But as others have said, it's going to go down in value first, as you acknowledge by talking of it possibly being worth more in ten years time. It's probably worth six or seven thousand now, so that doesn't look like much of an investment, unless of course you're going to drive it.

I'm sure your wife deserves her own very cheap car, which you could use whenever baby needs transporting. Meanwhile you could continue to rag the Brera round the public roads.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,667 Posts
If you keep it pampered and with a low mileage for 15-20 years, then it'll be worth a few quid for sure.
But you'll have all the hassle and cost of maintaining and running it whilst hardly using it or having much fun with it, and needing another daily driver anyway.
Keep it and use it properly, or get rid now while a small number of people are still happy to pay way over the odds for its perceived exclusiveness.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Just compare it to the Gtv and you'll get an idea of how long it takes to achieve "classic" status let alone any value gains.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Definitely, definitely, a future classic. And when it is, no-one will be saying "Oh, it's only the 2.2". But as others have said, it's going to go down in value first, as you acknowledge by talking of it possibly being worth more in ten years time. It's probably worth six or seven thousand now, so that doesn't look like much of an investment, unless of course you're going to drive it.

I'm sure your wife deserves her own very cheap car, which you could use whenever baby needs transporting. Meanwhile you could continue to rag the Brera round the public roads.
Oh! But they will say it's only a 2.2. Just look at the difference between the supposed "Desirability of the "Cup" and the standard GTV 3.0, regardless of the fact many have been driven to the moon and back and ostensibly the differences are cosmetic. A good car is a good car. People can be snooty about models, wheels, etc, etc. The important thing is that it has been cared for. Would I want a Cup with 98,000 on the clock and god knows how many dubious owners and suspicious servicing/mods as opposed to a low mileage Twinny? Definitely not. Unless I just want it to pose at National Alfa Day meets. I didn't make it this year, I drove to Italy instead. What a Bugger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have always said the twinspark is better than the V6, and you A V6 owning Alfisti have confirmed it Sizewell! I thank you. :)

Oh! But they will say it's only a 2.2. Just look at the difference between the supposed "Desirability of the "Cup" and the standard GTV 3.0, regardless of the fact many have been driven to the moon and back and ostensibly the differences are cosmetic. A good car is a good car. People can be snooty about models, wheels, etc, etc. The important thing is that it has been cared for. Would I want a Cup with 98,000 on the clock and god knows how many dubious owners and suspicious servicing/mods as opposed to a low mileage Twinny? Definitely not. Unless I just want it to pose at National Alfa Day meets. I didn't make it this year, I drove to Italy instead. What a Bugger.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,667 Posts
I have always said the twinspark is better than the V6, and you A V6 owning Alfisti have confirmed it Sizewell! I thank you. :)
But a low-mileage fastidiously maintained Busso would be on the wish-list of every self-respecting Alfisti, would it not?

Reactions: sizewell

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,667 Posts
We all know the one about not being a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa;
Maybe you're not a true Alfisti until you've owned a Busso?
The thing is I haven't :embarrassed:
At least not yet...
I wouldn't mind something like this Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2 V6 24v Special Edition 2dr, but it's seemingly owned by a comedian at that price:surprise:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts