1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Auto Express today.

Clicky

The Brera is 147KG heavier than the Scirocco & 2 seconds to MPH slower:eek:

Company car tax is 31% for the Brera and just 23% for the VW.

We must be and are in fact mad to buy Alfa's:thumbs:

Predictably, it came 4th out of 4 but most of the comments are positive & looking at the completion, the result is fair:(

Why Alfa left the 2.2 unit un-tuned, kept the rear seats & spare wheel and didn't use some decent composite parts for the roof etc. is beyond me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Still, what Auto Express know about real cars can be written on a postage stamp. All they're good for is reviewing cars they've never really driven and photoshop mock-ups!! :)

Oh, and of course the Brera's neither German nor Ford, so what chance could it have in the hands of AE.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AE are generally very positive regarding Alfa's but Zygote, the stats & figures do not lie do they?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Sorry but that test is stupid, the Alfa is a bigger heavier car than all of those and its daft to test them together.

The GT would have been better suited.

Brera is a bigger coupe, to be compared with A5, 3 series, 407, not the 1 series and Golf derivatitives

·
Registered
694 Posts
I went through a phase of getting AE. It didn't last long.
I haven't seen the article, but I can believe that the Brera was last. Data, figures, lap times, etc. fair enough.
But I don't drive at tracks (any more), I'm not interested in being a traffic light hero.
I want a car to love, look back at every time I walk away from it, & is good enough on real roads for my needs, & possibly has a bit of individuality & style not seen from other marques. Hence the Brera.
The new Scirrocco looks like a good car. Lets face it, the golf gti is a very good car, but possibly not one I'd ever fall in love with.
Matt.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You can make all the excuses you like but a lovely to look at as it is the performance stats are sh!te i'm afraid.

People want more than looks in a coupe....i'd be very tempted to bank £4K and go for the far quicker and better handling VW

A remapped GTjtd would leave that Brera tank for dead

Most family saloons / small execs can get performance at that level.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Audi A5 comparison is interesting.
My Audi loving mate had one (3ltr tdi) for a few days whilst his A3 was being looked at (again :rolleyes: ).
The A5 is a nice car. Goes bloomin well with that 3ltr diesel in it, comfy & pretty good mpg as well.
Its bigger than the Brera, & not as beautiful. Build quality was pretty equal to the Brera, but the leather on the seats felt very cheap & cardboardy.
Would I swap the Brera for it? :cheese:
Not a bloody chance mate. :tut:
Matt.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry but that test is stupid, the Alfa is a bigger heavier car than all of those and its daft to test them together.

The GT would have been better suited.

Brera is a bigger coupe, to be compared with A5, 3 series, 407, not the 1 series and Golf derivatitives
Given the lack of usable rear seats in the Brera I think a comparison to the TT & 1 series coupe is more accurate than it would be to the A5 or 3 series coupe. Price wise the Brera is in the middle of the 4 cars on test.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Given the lack of usable rear seats in the Brera I think a comparison to the TT & 1 series coupe is more accurate than it would be to the A5 or 3 series coupe. Price wise the Brera is in the middle of the 4 cars on test.
What he said....

BreraS = Brera Slow

6/10 - Must work harder on Performance & economy Alfa :tut:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another 5mpg or so would be nice.
Ok, I'd also go for another 30+bhp, but the mpg is the only thing that really gets me a bit miffed.
Such is life.
Matt.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The Brera S I borred felt quite a bit quicker than the Spider LE though!
What is up with Alfa at the moment - we're heading backwards in terms of performance.

I thought Alfa was meant to represent sports heritage....i think they've taken it too literally and are given us the performance of cars from 50years ago :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
....i'd be very tempted to bank £4K and go for the far quicker and better handling VW
Noooo, you don't wanna do that.

The Brera S isn't exactly a JCB in the performance or handling stakes and that VW just looks like a van from the back & a rip off Mitsubishi from the front.

Good looking it's not, although I'm sure many will find it a pleasant enough sort of teutonic blandness enough to want to buy it. And don't forget, anyone who gives in to the mighty German or Asian automotive onslought is adding yet another nail in the individualists' manufacturers coffins.

I know money / affordability has to come into the equation, but almost any car is a compromise in some respect, especially if you haven't had the megabuck(euro) development budgets of the likes of VW, etc.

So I say, sod the stats & the endless comparisons, buy the car you want, for the reason/s you want and enjoy it regardless. :thumbs: (I certainly will be on Monday :D :D )

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The point i'm making is looks & performance are NOT mutually exclusive

Alfa are selling a sheep in wolfs clothing here and it's not acceptable :tut:

Noooo, you don't wanna do that.

The Brera S isn't exactly a JCB in the performance or handling stakes and that VW just looks like a van from the back & a rip off Mitsubishi from the front.

Good looking it's not, although I'm sure many will find it a pleasant enough sort of teutonic blandness enough to want to buy it. And don't forget, anyone who gives in to the mighty German or Asian automotive onslought is adding yet another nail in the individualists' manufacturers coffins.

I know money / affordability has to come into the equation, but almost any car is a compromise in some respect, especially if you haven't had the megabuck(euro) development budgets of the likes of VW, etc.

So I say, sod the stats & the endless comparisons, buy the car you want, for the reason/s you want and enjoy it regardless. :thumbs: (I certainly will be on Monday :D :D )

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The British press has a habit of scoring Alfas at the bottom of the pile.
Take your Alfa specs off my friend - the Stats speak for themselves....performance & economy wise it is bottom of the pile by a country mile !

Yes it looks stunning but people want something that performs when buying a sports coupe !

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Take your Alfa specs off my friend - the Stats speak for themselves....performance & economy wise it is bottom of the pile by a country mile !

Yes it looks stunning but people want something that performs when buying a sports coupe !
I think you're being a bit oversensitive here. We all know that Alfas don't always come across too well in comparison tests like this, and I don't agree that they come down too hard on the Brera in this one. Since the early 80s, I've had five Golf GTis and four sporty Audis, I've only owned my 159 for a couple of months, but I can't see me going back to Audi or VW, and nothing in this test would change my mind. BMWs don't do a thing for me, never have since the E30 M3, so just the badge rules that one out. OK, so the Brera is a bit too slow and a bit too thirsty when compared here with a VW, an Audi and a BMW, but knowing what I do, I'd probably still choose the Brera after reading that write up. Motoring journalists, what do they know?

N

·
0 Posts
Motoring journalists, what do they know?
I think that's the biggest point to be made.
They are just journalists who happen to write
for car magazines etc.

Did they do vehicle engineering degrees of something?
Doubt it.

D

·
0 Posts
I see a red one everyday going the other way and it's bloody gorgeous, :D

I don't care if it's a bit slower, or heavier, it's stunning! :inlove:

1 - 20 of 150 Posts