Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive finish a project. Its a brera 2.2 JTS. S prodrive edition. Cars done 14K miles. had a front and rear tap. Been a pleasure working on the car the build quality is good.

The suspension setup on these Brera S is fantastic. Its a firm ride but forgiving and not bone breaking. They have got it spot on. The car doesnt lurch as much as a standard brera in the corners, its stiffer and more direct and accurate. Its how they should have done all the breras. You really have to appreciate the suspension components they have used. 1st class. Im running the car on acceleras as well and I have to say they are fine. In fact I would say they are good for the price.

The refinement of the cockpit is superb. The seats are really tight and confortable. although the drivers seat rocks a little bit which is annoying (is there a recal on that?) The gearbox is nice and precise and the gear shift feals solid and direct. Love the steering wheel.

The 2.2 JTS engine feels reasonably punchy. At the top end of the rev range you do appreciate its not a "fast" car. But its punchy enough. The exhaust note out of the prodrive back boxes is superb. A real raspy sound. Ive upgraded the intake system because the stanard intake pipe was too long and too low to the ground (a lot of breras do get written off for water damage, not suprised). With the upgrade is growls a bit more on rev'ing which is kind of nice.

Really impressed with this brera S. I wasnt too impressed with the standard 2.2 brera. But this is a different experience. I would really love to try a 3.2 V6 brera S. I think that would be awesome fun. but the 2.2 is quick enough for the roads (specially with the weight reduction) great stuff.

·
Registered
344 Posts
...but the 2.2 is quick enough for the roads (specially with the weight reduction) great stuff.
Apart from removing the SV and using lighter Ti alloys, did Prodrive do anything else to reduce the weight? I know the S is lighter, but I don't know how much.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 159 Ti sold yes. That was a great car as well. A really nice looking estate, the TBI engine was fantastic. Cant think off too many faults to the 159 estate. Lovely car.

I think the prodrive brera has some unit removed from the boot under the rear quarter linings. Not sure what it was. I think they reduced it by about 50-75kg could be wrong. Its definetly more punchy than a normal 2.2 brera.

I put an induction kit on it. The donor car I bought for the repair had the kit on it. Looks like a KandN. The thing is its significantly higher up (shorter) than the normal brera intake pipe which reaches down really low. I cant understand why they had such a long intake pipe, its asking for water to get sucked in.

Gonna try and keep the prodrive for a while and run it. Its gives such a nice feeling for a while. but needs must Ill prolly sell it in a month or so.

Still got the yellow GTV as well yes. Just spent a bit of money getting it nice for the summer. It feels all rattly and hard and old fashioned after driving the brera :( (I think though I still prefer the GTV in terms of pure fun though. Its the V6)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Apart from removing the SV and using lighter Ti alloys, did Prodrive do anything else to reduce the weight? I know the S is lighter, but I don't know how much.
They didn't remove the SV the glass is still there and that must be all the weight. All they removed was the blind mechanism which can't have weighed very much.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I put an induction kit on it. The donor car I bought for the repair had the kit on it. Looks like a KandN. The thing is its significantly higher up (shorter) than the normal brera intake pipe which reaches down really low. I cant understand why they had such a long intake pipe, its asking for water to get sucked in.
Where did you get it from? any pictures? Send PM if not wanting to put it here.. :3

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no probs mate. heres a pixxy. Its going to get mopped and polished tommorrow in the paint shop, now the paints hardend. Got to try and get the prodrive cert (dunno if I can).

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
It is good looking..but I ment the engine bay, because im looking for air-intake upgrades xD

·
Registered
344 Posts
They didn't remove the SV the glass is still there and that must be all the weight. All they removed was the blind mechanism which can't have weighed very much.
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. I know the 3.2 S is significantly lighter than the standard by removing all the 4WD gubbins, but I wasn't sure what else they'd done to the 2.2. It's a selfish interest as I've got the standard 2.2 but am making it look like an S with the alloys and back boxes. Just curious to know what else I'd have to do apart from replace the springs/dampers and remove the SV mechanism to get it to handle like an S.

The S (or versions of them) can be odd though - I'm sure someone on here the other day was saying their S had a completely metal roof, which I would have thought was lighter than a panel of glass. And I've seen S's advertised with the right interior and calipers/wheels etc, but with the standard back boxes. Or without the S on the rear pillar. Weird.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
the were quite a lot of left over "S" parts, these were mostly then fitted to normal 2.2s to make them more sale-able - so you'll come across all sorts of combos of breras with of 2 out of wheels/exhaust/interior

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
phil, noticed you are in west sussex. Do you have a blue V6 GTV saw one in chichester the other day with a blue GT in toe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi ALFA
I have just purchased a Brera Prodrive 2.2- might ask you to do this pipe thingy for me
how many miles away from Brsitol are you ??
ken

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi All
If you go into google and put BRERA S you will see that Prodrive did a lot of work on the cars
and made them much better to drive and handle-100kg wieght OFF
regards
ken

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hi All
If you go into google and put BRERA S you will see that Prodrive did a lot of work on the cars
and made them much better to drive and handle-100kg wieght OFF
regards
ken
only 100kg off of the V6 Q4, 35kg lighter for the FWD 2.2 and 3.2 compared to the standard cars

·
Registered
344 Posts
only 100kg off of the V6 Q4, 35kg lighter for the FWD 2.2 and 3.2 compared to the standard cars
35kg, isn't it 2kg saved per corner for the Ti alloys? So how heavy is that SV mechanism? It can't be 27kg surely? :confused:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
35kg, isn't it 2kg saved per corner for the Ti alloys? So how heavy is that SV mechanism? It can't be 27kg surely? :confused:
the standard Brera 17s weigh approx the same as the S 19s. The suspension probably saves a couple of kgs per corner. The backboxes are est 5-10kg saving, leaving 20-odd for the SV

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Ken, Im in Chichester. Im not a qualified mechanic. But its pretty easy to do. you have to take the front bumper off the car which needs to be done with a bit of care to not break anything. After that you can access the intake system a lot easier. Its very simple to do, but you do need the right tools and space etc. The upgraded intake doesnt have the kind of long plastic pipe which goes all the way to the ground so there is no way you are going to suck up water in a flood situation. It does also make the car sound a bit nicer and prolly gives some very slight power gain. theres got to be some thread on here ill dig around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts