Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Might be a bit pricey at 10k but it is an S so you never know. Potential buyers who know about the 2.2 will be looking for a timing chain replacement and gearbox rebuild as these seem to play up regardless of the servicing schedule.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be a bit pricey at 10k but it is an S so you never know. Potential buyers who know about the 2.2 will be looking for a timing chain replacement and gearbox rebuild as these seem to play up regardless of the servicing schedule.
I think its priced fairly to be honest. There have been a few Brera 'S' cars without the prodrive gear for around 8-9k. Mine has confirmation from Alfa that its a 'S' with Prodrive package from new. I did make sure I had all the prodrive bits for I bought it because there were a few that had bits and pieces missing, which put me off.
Also previous owner looked after the car and got the oil done more regularly than suggested in the manual. This should keep the timing chain happy and gearbox feels and sounds fine also. I changed the oil in both engine and gearbox after 6 months ownership and both oils looked clean coming out. I also switched to the recommended Fuchs gearbox oil so hopefully all will stay well for the next owner.
It could of had both gearbox rebuild and timing chain done but I received minimal paperwork from Veloces, so I have no way of knowing.
Priced as it is with a used car warranty of your choice, it would still be cheaper than some of the others for sale :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Potential buyers who know about the 2.2 will be looking for a timing chain replacement and gearbox rebuild as these seem to play up regardless of the servicing schedule.
There's cars out there that have never needed a chain replaced, others that have flagged-up a warning at low miles.
Also, from what other members have posted, frequent oil changes do not guarantee no fault with the chain.
Either way, it's no biggie. It cost me £385 to sort. And no one's had a broken chain on here that I remember.
From reading this forum, it seems to be the minority of 2.2s that have had gearbox issues.
The 159 diesel 1.9 seems to be far and away the most vulnerable.
My own 2.2 has had a bit of a whine for the last 3 or 4 years. It's no worse now than it was back then.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi Stephen, I've been messaging you on eBay, I did mean to ask if you were on AO.

I was meant to head to LA today to have a look at a new one they've got in and have a test drive. As I mentioned, my main concern is performance - coming from a string of V6's and V8's I'm a little concerned that the little 2.2 will frustrate a bit. The V6 just isn't possible for me, doing 10-12k a year the MPG is worse than the AMG I've just sold! It's a genuine conundrum ;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Stephen, I've been messaging you on eBay, I did mean to ask if you were on AO.

I was meant to head to LA today to have a look at a new one they've got in and have a test drive. As I mentioned, my main concern is performance - coming from a string of V6's and V8's I'm a little concerned that the little 2.2 will frustrate a bit. The V6 just isn't possible for me, doing 10-12k a year the MPG is worse than the AMG I've just sold! It's a genuine conundrum ;)
Hey mate, good to see your on AO aswell. If you push the car, the performance is decent as I mentioned before. I think the only way you will retain the performance with MPG is if you go diesel or smaller engine with turbo?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have obviously spent a fair bit of money judging by your advert, I personally think someone will be getting a great example for the money.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have updated the ad again and lowered the price by 1 pence because im nice like that :)
Including 18" alloys with nokian winter tyres, I paid £420 iirc for the wheels and tyres but have never used them.
Need the space for my IQ tyres and new wheels for my next car.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have updated the ad again and lowered the price by 1 pence because im nice like that :)
Including 18" alloys with nokian winter tyres, I paid £420 iirc for the wheels and tyres but have never used them.
Need the space for my IQ tyres and new wheels for my next car.
You use winter tyres in Hounslow? For real? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You use winter tyres in Hounslow? For real? :laugh:
I used winter tyres on my last car and had a good experience, not so much for the snow but just when it reaches low temps. My GTA used to slip in the top 3 gears with Dunlop Sport maxx tyres in very cold weather, swapped to dunlop winters and all was good. Thought I would need them again for the brera but I haven't had any traction problems with the current tyres. Maybe the power difference.

Edit: I do get out of town you know :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts