Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I know this has been asked quite a few times before and I have read all this posts but some of them are quite old posts now , so wondered if peoples opinions had changed or if there were any newer oils that have come out that are worth considering..

Does anyone has any recent recommendations on what is the best Engine Oil for the 2.2 JTS engine?

I'm considering : - Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 Fully Synthetic (£55 from Opie Oils)

Would the Valvoline be much better than the Fuchs Titan SuperSyn -5w-40 for example as 6 litres of this is £36

Many Thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally I prefer to go for a cheaper oil and change it more often so I go for Shell Helix Ultra at about £32 and change it every 5000 even then the oil filter has sometimes started to collapse which is a common fault with these engines and a good reason to reduce the interval between services.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I prefer to go for a cheaper oil and change it more often so I go for Shell Helix Ultra at about £32 and change it every 5000 even then the oil filter has sometimes started to collapse which is a common fault with these engines and a good reason to reduce the interval between services.
Thanks for the reply!

I have just found the Shell Helix HX8 on a great offer on Euro Car Parts (40% off code on the site for all parts) - £25.78 for 6 litres -
Shell Helix Ultra - £40 for 6 litres
Castrol Magnatic - £37 for 6 litres

Would there be much difference in the normal Shell Helix and the Ultra?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The best oil for these GM derived engines is an oil with Dexos rating as opposed to the brand.

I have a 3.2 and usually go for Vavline Synpower which has the Dexos rating. I usually use 5w/40 this time I’m using 10w/40 ( slightly thicker ) it’s making the engine sound good. It seems to like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Fuchs pro s is a fully ester synthetic oil and as good as you will ever need in a road car, around £47 from opie oils. though for general road use their super syn will be fine and half the price
And as said change it more frequently than the Alfa schedule, 8-10k is good

·
Registered
766 Posts
10w40 is abit thick on start up for the 3.2 and certainly thick on the 2.2

I use 5w40 Millers Nanotec from ebay - £37.95 for 5 litres delivered

Genuine bosch filter £7 delivered

Millers are one of the best oil suppliers and well known in motorsport

I too have the oil changed every 12 months regardeless of milage - my last 2.2 oil change was only 2,000 miles

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Alfa dont make there own oil filters....they get them from where they can get the best price that meets their requirements.....so what brand is a "Genuine" Alfa oil filter? Its probably changed several times over the years. ...so getting a big brand name (like Bosch) will almost certainly be as good as the "original"....if indeed its not the original...and not require remortgaging!! Until recently my 155,000 mile car had never seen an ALFA filter.....but this time I found a new one on ebay that had been bought in error...£4 delivered!....it will probably be an aftermarket one next time though....but thats about 10,000 miles away!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alfa dont make there own oil filters....they get them from where they can get the best price that meets their requirements.....so what brand is a "Genuine" Alfa oil filter? Its probably changed several times over the years. ...so getting a big brand name (like Bosch) will almost certainly be as good as the "original"....if indeed its not the original...and not require remortgaging!! Until recently my 155,000 mile car had never seen an ALFA filter.....but this time I found a new one on ebay that had been bought in error...£4 delivered!....it will probably be an aftermarket one next time though....but thats about 10,000 miles away!
Yes obviously i know that Alfa dont make their own oil filter , i am trying to say that there is not huge difference (prize) between the genuine and a "good" aftermarket oil filter so why to risk it ? to save 5 -10 pounds ?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
10w40 is abit thick on start up for the 3.2 and certainly thick on the 2.2

I use 5w40 Millers Nanotec from ebay - £37.95 for 5 litres delivered

Genuine bosch filter £7 delivered

Millers are one of the best oil suppliers and well known in motorsport

I too have the oil changed every 12 months regardeless of milage - my last 2.2 oil change was only 2,000 miles
10w 40 is fine for these engines in summer it’ll just pour slightly slower in winter. The oil pump would still create sufficient oil pressure in about 15 seconds anyway. The benefits of 10w40 oil in the summer will help the oil stick to internal components in high temperatures, avoiding the wear and tear from metal-to-metal contact between moving parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
10w 40 is fine for these engines in summer it’ll just pour slow in winter. The oil pump would still create sufficient oil pressure in about 15 seconds anyway. The benefits of
10w40 oil in the summer will help the oil stick to internal components in high temperatures, avoiding the wear and tear from metal-to-metal contact between moving parts.

5W40 is the recommended oil viscosity and the ONLY one.With 5W40 u have the flow needed at cold start (wich most wear occurs) and at the same time u have the protection needed at high temperature (peak).U dont need to use 10W40 and dont listen to mechanics saying that in hot weather its better 10W40 ,listen only to ur manual and for this car the ONLY viscosity recommened is 5W40.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Use the original filter dont do this with the aftermarket filter how much is the cost of the genuine ? for changing once in a year not worth the risk of getting an aftermarket.
What brera do you have?

How long have you owned it?

Is every part on it Stamped with "Alfa Romeo" on it?

Nearly every single part on the brera is manufactured by a 3rd party oem supplier, which Bosch or magneti marelli would have been the orignal manufacturer

If you really doubt the quality of Bosch then I really am worried. A genuine oil filter for the 3.2 which is possibly made by bosch is £27 delivered vs £7 delivered. Identical parts and box and most importantly the quality is the same if not higher

Now I agree, a non brand chinese knock off oil filter will be very pad and disintegrate

The argument goes with selenia oil - yes its good, but it was alfa sponsorship deal when they made the brera

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
5W40 is the recommended oil viscosity and the ONLY one.With 5W40 u have the flow needed at cold start (wich most wear occurs) and at the same time u have the protection needed at high temperature (peak).U dont need to use 10W40 and dont listen to mechanics saying that in hot weather its better 10W40 ,listen only to ur manual and for this car the ONLY viscosity recommened is 5W40.
Wow, slow down partner. You are assuming I know very little about the engine in my car that I’ve maintained for the last 7 years.

Ignore the manual. The same manual that recommends messages about power steering fluid, tyre inflation pressure, and oil level refills that was changed after the book went to print .
It’s not the make of the oil filter that should be a concern, it’s the production quality that counts. The RRP price usually indicates the quality but top manufacturers parts can be found at a discount too. I’m also sure that it’s well documented that Alfa have recommended 10w60 in engines of theirs that once stated 5w40

·
Registered
526 Posts
Same here. Distorted Bosch filter with Shell after just 3.5k miles. As I change the oil every 3-4k I've decided just to go for cheapest correct spec so filled up this weekend with Triple QX Synth Plus from ECP (about £20) and Borg & Beck filter.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I know spending a fortune on oil doesnt always make it the best but Im not a fan of the triple qx stuff from ecp ever since when I first bought my Brera and as I usually do when I first have a car did a flush with some cheap oil before putting the decent stuff in and used the triple qx, at the time it was on offer for around a tenner. After a short drive to get it up to temp I drained it out and it had got so thin it was gushing past the threads before the sump plug was all the way out.
I have seen plenty of hot oil in my time to know what its like but this was so thin, literally like water after only a few miles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's an interesting discussion - oils! The more expensive oils must have something above and over the cheaper ones. I guess it's warm up times, ability to cling to components and longevity. My understanding was that the viscosity labels should mean that viscosity at certain temperatures should remain standard across all brands (assuming they are tested accurately). The triple QX won't be staying for long. I think (well hope) the use of this over about 2-3k miles won't result in anymore engine wear compared to something like Shell over a longer period of 6-10k, which is probably more of an average for other cars out there. With the mileage I do it, the rest of the car will have broken around the engine before wear becomes a problem. Having said that I'll probably revert back to shell for the next oil change so basically contracting myself!

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree, I don't think it makes any difference really in the short term or low mileage but If like me the cars being used on track and driven hard then a good quality oil is required to prevent any wear

1 - 19 of 19 Posts