Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There
I recently bought my Brera 2.4 SV JTDM and ever since I have had it, the rear wiper doesn't work at all. It is not stuck in the middle of the window it is nearly fully over on the passenger side. I have obviously tried the switch on the steering column and nothing happens unless I activate the spray which does work but the wiper doesn't move anywhere.
Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Hope you can help!

Many Thanks
Phil

:confused:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you checked for things like fuses?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, wasn't sure at all on what to look for, sounds a little thick I know but will check those first, although I did look at the book where it talks about fuses and it doesn't show which fuse it is?
Thanks for the reply by the way!
Phil

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
it should have the layout printed on the cover for some of the fuse boxes, however you can't always count on that (or the book) being the right way round or accurate, so you may have to do a lil guess work.

you can maybe save yourself a lil time by getting someone to buzz the rear wiper whilst you run a circuit tester / multimeter across the plug on the motor to see if any voltage at all to it. I would suspect not. If not then you know its fuse or broken wire, likely fuse.

Picture the scenario, heavy snow we've had over the winter, person gets in car, its cold and horrible, no one wants to get out to clear the rear window - i'll just use the wiper, oops the wipers just twitched and stopped, snow must be too heavy for it - presto popped a fuse.

I confess I know little about the brera - of the 5 Alfa's I've owned not 1 had a rear wiper, but fuse is where I'd be looking!

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
I had that recently with my 159SW, after it lay unused for 12 weeks at the dealer awaiting a new turbo. In my case, the wiper was stuck vertically on the screen - they'd switched it on after valeting the car just prior to my collecting it and that's as far as it got.

I was meant to take it back in to get them to look at it but got fed-up looking at the wiper in the rear-view so decided to remove the arm from the spindle meantime. I gave the securing nut a good spray of penetrating oil and left it for a while to do its work, whilst I gave the car interior a bit of a clean. I had the power on listening to the radio when I heard a whirr from the rear and noticed that the wiper had parked itself.

I've since stripped it down and lubricated the spindle properly, and so far it is functioning perfectly. Hopefully yours is the same and just needs a spot of slippy stuff, :thumbs:. Surprisingly, although it had jammed, it didn't blow the fuse, :confused: , which I'd already looked at as my first port of call.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Just had another thought. On the SW, the fuse for the rear wiper also covers the rear cigarette lighter - that's how I checked mine rather than unscrewing the fusebox cover alongside the steering column - so that might speed up your investigation if the Brera is the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Resurrect of old thread lol

But....

I am having the same issues, washer at rear works fine but no wiper. Fuses look ok unless Alfa put it under a different fuse to that labeled !

Can anyone help !

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a similar problem now, but my rear washer has stopped working too.

Was all working fine last week, washed my car yesterday, folded wiper back and changed the rubber, and now today nothing. Front wipers and washers working fine.

Will check fuse and connections today, and report back.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've got a similar issue....pushing the stalk up activates the washer fluid, but no wiper....yet when the toggle button is pulled down on the stalk, the wiper DOES work on its constant cycle.....? Is it possible there are two fuses for the rear wiper - one for the "one wipe" motion, and another for the constant wiper motion? :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts