Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster - I've been saving up to get enough together for a unique project, and I've picked the Brera for its looks and relative rarity.

I'm a journalist, so I get free entry to a lot of rallies around Europe in return for taking photos and writing good things about them (which isn't hard as a petrolhead), but I've never had the funds until now and it has seemed like a shame to pass up the opportunity.

I have a budget for car and parts of £17,000. I have a mechanic who will do all the work.

My thoughts were along the lines of:
-Early v6 Q4 Brera - circa £6-7k
-EITHER Autodelta supercharger kit or Maserati 4.2 V8 with corresponding gearbox - £7-8k
-New shocks/dampers all round
-Brake upgrade if necessary
-Stripping our interior and replacing seats with light buckets (roll cage not needed as I'm doing regulation stages rather than out and out pace). The back seats in a brera are useless anyway, right?
-Anti-roll bars front and rear

What are everybody's thoughts towards this, and has anybody done anything similar?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm a journalist, so I get free entry to a lot of rallies around Europe in return for taking photos and writing good things about them (which isn't hard as a petrolhead), but I've never had the funds until now and it has seemed like a shame to pass up the opportunity
Hi Stefano,

Unfortunately I can't offer any wisdom on this but I would like to say that you've got my dream job!

Looking forward to following your project.

Jess

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Wow interesting project!
Good budget, I'm just thinking with my head and not my heart hear and wondering if it would be better spent on a Brera 3.2S (fwd) and super charge that and slot a quaife atb in the gearbox, would make onehellofa nice ride to travel around Europe in? Your resale value should hold up better, and you could always remove the supercharger kit and sell separate when the time comes to sell...

·
Registered
119 Posts
-EITHER Autodelta supercharger kit or Maserati 4.2 V8 with corresponding gearbox - £7-8k
-New shocks/dampers all round
-Brake upgrade if necessary
-Stripping our interior and replacing seats with light buckets (roll cage not needed as I'm doing regulation stages rather than out and out pace). The back seats in a brera are useless anyway, right?
-Anti-roll bars front and rear

What are everybody's thoughts towards this, and has anybody done anything similar?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano
Stefano Hi, To fit a Maserati engine into a Brera the hole of the front has to be rebuilt, and the same for the back, as a Maserati uses a transaxle, not a standard gearbox, which also means the propshaft and torque tube have to be shortened, add to that modified inner and outer front and rear wings which if you are buying the parts to do it plus labour would work out at well over £20K plus, and no way are you going to get a good engine and transaxle plus all the auxiliaries for £7 or 8 K.
While it may look like a simple job it is anything but.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stefano Hi, To fit a Maserati engine into a Brera the hole of the front has to be rebuilt, and the same for the back, as a Maserati uses a transaxle, not a standard gearbox, which also means the propshaft and torque tube have to be shortened, add to that modified inner and outer front and rear wings which if you are buying the parts to do it plus labour would work out at well over £20K plus, and no way are you going to get a good engine and transaxle plus all the auxiliaries for £7 or 8 K.
While it may look like a simple job it is anything but.
Ok, the maser engine might be out the window then. Ayn suggestions for anything italian that might be more of a direct fit?
Or maybe go german with something like an e39 engine and gearbox?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Maser engine is definitely out the window, could work with a 75 / Alfetta etc as a base car though. :devious:

I can't imagine the Rear suspension and drivetrain on a brera is sufficiently strong enough to take power directly from a sufficiently powerful engine.

Besides, if you start messing with it to that extent it will cease to be an Alfa brera.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maser engine is definitely out the window, could work with a 75 / Alfetta etc as a base car though. :devious:

I can't imagine the Rear suspension and drivetrain on a brera is sufficiently strong enough to take power directly from a sufficiently powerful engine.

Besides, if you start messing with it to that extent it will cease to be an Alfa brera.
My thoughts were if it were going through a 4-wheel drive system, there wouldn't be as much pressure on the suspension. What is the gearbox on the brera rated to in regards to power?

·
Registered
119 Posts

A Maserati setup is doable and has been done.:yes: But it is a hell of a lot of work, and very very expensive to do correctly,
As for the drivetrain and suspension why would you use the Alfa setup. being as the Maser uses tubular subframes front and rear, the front supports the engine and all the front suspension, and the rear supports the transaxle and rear suspension, and the fuel tank sits above it inside the boot.

As for not being a Brera, I wonder what this is below, and what engine it uses. price in 2015, a cool 2 000 000 $,

Saying all that good petrol engined Brera's are now holding there prices as they are fast becoming classics. please note I said good,

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Maserati setup is doable and has been done.:yes: But it is a hell of a lot of work, and very very expensive to do correctly,
As for the drivetrain and suspension why would you use the Alfa setup. being as the Maser uses tubular subframes front and rear, the front supports the engine and all the front suspension, and the rear supports the transaxle and rear suspension, and the fuel tank sits above it inside the boot.

As for not being a Brera, I wonder what this is below, and what engine it uses. price in 2015, a cool 2 000 000 $,

Saying all that good petrol engined Brera's are now holding there prices as they are fast becoming classics. please note I said good,
That was the original concept for the brera, with a (I believe) maserati derived 4.2V8 - hence my inspiration for this project, with the autodelta supercharger being a backup it was past the £20k all-in budget.

Maybe I should just go for the supercharger?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts

Anything can be done.
There is a Giulietta being built with a complete 8C drivetrain (which is effectively a Maser setup).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like a great project best of luck. Fitting the Mazza lump sounds like a hell of a task. How about working with what you have already got, i'm no expert but seeing as the V6 engine is effectively an american GM unit i'm sure there must be some larger displacement versions. Pile some of that cash into increasing the displacement ( 3.6 in a Cadillac I believe ) and then supercharge that ?

I think the main reason the Brera / 159 Chassis wasnt used as a motorsport platform was the weight, so I think coming up with lots of weight saving ideas should be high on your list.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The GM/Saab turbo setup on the 3.2 or 3.6 Alloytec could be very interesting and power could be as immense as you want. Mechanically relatively simple as most parts are stock. Driving the Q4 setup would make for a very planted Brera

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Use a Q4 3.2 Brera, add the AutoDelta Supercharger and FULL exhaust.
Rest of money on suspension/steering and lightening.
Enough power, vastly improved Power:Weight ratio and the ability to use it.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
(roll cage not needed as I'm doing regulation stages rather than out and out pace).
I assume that you mean regularity, not regulation?

Have you studied the regulations (that's the right word this time :paperbag: ) to see whether your proposed vehicle would be eligible?

·
Registered
373 Posts
As for not being a Brera, I wonder what this is below, and what engine it uses. price in 2015, a cool 2 000 000 $...
That looks like the Giugiaro concept prototype for the Brera (my guess, anyway). As a one-off, it would be expensive. And I'll bet it had a V6 in it, at least.

The real Brera looks like an SUV compared to the prototype! Shame.

(edit) "Answered in post 12." Oh, yeah. Oops.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
That looks like the Giugiaro concept prototype for the Brera (my guess, anyway). As a one-off, it would be expensive. And I'll bet it had a V6 in it, at least.

The real Brera looks like an SUV compared to the prototype! Shame.
Answered in post 12.

I always thought the concept car looked like the proverbial 'penis extension' car with that bonnet! alfa-brera-compare-01.jpg Photo by mraffone | Photobucket
The production version was also less of a hatchback than the concept.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts