Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

I currently own a diesel GT, which is great to drive but the electrical problems (drivers window, boot, parking sensors etc.) are driving me to distraction. It's 10 years old and covered over 180,000 so just isn't worth spending a load of money to fix up. I also start a new job in April which means a daily 80 mile round trip mainly on the motorway.

So I'm looking for a replacement car, ideally one I can keep for 3-4 years without having endless problems. I had made up my mind to get something 'safe' like a Scirocco, but have been keeping my options open and am very tempted by a diesel Brera. I've driven both a Scirocco and a Brera and think I would be happy with either - just struggling to make a decision. My heart says Brera and my head says Scirocco!! Any advice would be welcome, particularly from anyone who does a longish daily journey in a Brera over a good period of time.

Many thanks

Ted

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you every use the back seats for anything other than small bags of shopping?
Very rarely - I've got two very young kids that might very occasionally go in the back. In the two years I've had the GT, they've only been in the back three times.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My wife's only 4 foot 11 and with the seat all the way forwards there's so little room in the back that her mum, who's the same height, couldn't get in there.

In her old GTV her mum managed to get in and stay there from Pembrokeshire to Bristol airport.

3 times in 2 years isn't much, but it's quite possibly 3 times more than you'd manage in a Brera. I love mine, but we have no kids and no need to use the back of the car.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I have two teenagers (almost) and we have gone 'four up' for short journeys and three up for four hours at a time. OK, so we are not huge people but I would not discount a car just because of the size of its rear seats. As to its usability on motorways, you cannot fault it (2.4 210) and don't forget it looks soooo much better!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback - I'll have to see how feasible it is to get my two in. I'm 6' so sounds like little chance of anyone squeezing in behind me! I will only use the back seats rarely so I'm hoping this isn't a deal breaker, and good to know that it can be done.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I guess it all depends on you're driving position, I'm 5'11" and I have my seat all the way back with the rake n reach fully extended so there's no room for anyone. However, if there's a need to transport people, I just get the wife to drive as she sits really far forward. Wouldn't recommend this for long journeys for adults, as it's the rear headroom that is the real issue for most, having said that, it's not a problem with kids.

As for your journey, mine's similar and the car loves it ... as do I, especially overtaking scirocco's :thumbup:

Go with your heart, it's always the best decision

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I bought my Brera 2.4 just over 12 months ago and cannot fault it in any way as a vehicle, however the discussion about the rear space is very valid, I am 5'7" and have the seat pretty much all the way back. My wife is even shorter but she also has the seat set back, this means that it is pretty much impossible to get a passenger in the back seats.
But the good news is, we don't need the back seats, YEA! Mine is not used as much as it should be, it goes on long runs and to that end it is amazing, it eats miles and is reasonable frugal. I have considered the Sirocco as a replacement when the time comes as I think it's quite a pretty car as was it's predecessors. If I was to chose today, it would still be the Brera despite the fact that I hate the sound of the diesel engine, although under load it does sound very good.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
matty74 - hope your Alfa survived the floods.
Croston looked like a no-go area for days.
I have jobs there occasionally so know it quite well - I'm just up in Preston.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone - think that's my mind made up now! Does anyone have experience of the ride of a 2.4 with 18" Prodrive alloys and Eibach springs?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
matty74 - hope your Alfa survived the floods.
Croston looked like a no-go area for days.
I have jobs there occasionally so know it quite well - I'm just up in Preston.
We were lucky, we're at the cottages on Highfield Rd about 300yds from nursing home where it was 4ft deep. The water just floods off the fields past us. Full credit to everyone though for pulling together and getting all 5 pubs open for New Year :beer:

Cars in Lord Nelson's car park were completely submerged, fortunately none were Alfas :titanic:

So relieved that we picked up the wife's "G" after leaving it on Grapes Car Park overnight on Xmas eve :thumbs:

Services were absolutely brilliant !!

Reactions: lussoman

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
ive also had my Brera 12 months and done 22k miles in it. its been faultless, but only had 47k on the clock when i bought it. I do 70 miles a day on motorways and it is comfy and fast. it turns out it has had egr deleted, remapped and dpf cored out

the small rear seats are an issue but we only use them twice a month etc and are perfectly fine for that, just have to shove the front seats forward and accept the stupid driving position.

the windows on my car are a bit daft, sometimes wont go up ! but opening the door cures this (antipinch must be cutting in)

the lower standard wishbone bushes are crap and replaced with poly ones - it now steers like an alfa should and trebles the life of the tires

the only bit of the car that gets on my nerves is the ruddy heavy and large doors that when you open, constantly swing back closed bruising your shoulder, leg etc. the revsers of this is that if you park in a tight space you cannot get out of the car, and dont park facing up hill !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts