Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have long been enamoured by Alfa Romeo cars (and other things Italian), but have been equally discouraged by some of the horror stories associated with them.

After years of driving sensible family cars, I recently ditched the whole approach and bought a car with a decent amount of power, and realised the fun I've been denying myself.

I don't own an Alfa Romeo, yet, but looking very closely at the Brera, which I find catches my eye like no other car does! However, I'm finding it difficult to locate a good car that's worth buying for the kind of money that;s being asked! Most of them seem to have 3 or 4 (if not more!) previous owners.
Not sure about whether I should go for the Petrol or the diesel engine, so I'm looking forward to getting some info from the forum.

Also looking at the Giulietta as a fall back option ...;)

(Sorry for the long intro post)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You should of really started this post on the Brera section in order to get more feedback.

What model are you looking at out of the three petrol variants, and two diesels?

I wouldn’t really worry about how many owners the car has had.
For example, mine was six years old when I bought it.
The 1st owner had the car for two years and put 18k on it. It was serviced twice at the main dealer it came from
The 2nd owner only had it one year, covered 10k. And had it serviced at another main dealer
The 3rd had it for ten months and put 10k on it. Bought it from Perry’s who also serviced it - bought it back from the 3rd owner serviced it again and sold it to its 4th owner
The 4th owner had it two years and put 7.5k a year on it. He had it serviced at the service centre in London after its 1st 7.5k, then traded it in for a Merc. The Merc dealer in Oxford sold it on to a used car dealer in Stratford upon Avon where i bought it from.
Me being the 5th. I’ve had it now seven years in March and, it’s covered roughly 20k and it’s been pretty much mollycoddled.
These cars are getting old now, so condition is more important than anything.
The reason I put up the long post is because prior to my ownership, the service history would just be old news, and it’s not so much of a worry to buy one private if the owner is honest. At least a private owner will know the car inside and out like myself.
I myself was in the same boat as you worried about making the wrong choice about buying an Alfa. I’m glad I did. These cars are the type that make a very lasting impression on you. I only ever saw one prior to my ownership in the metal. I only ever saw them on the net reviews, and on YouTube. Soon as I clapped eyes on the car which was the exact spec I wanted and sat in it. I knew I had to have it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should of really started this post on the Brera section in order to get more feedback.

What model are you looking at out of the three petrol variants, and two diesels?

I wouldn’t really worry about how many owners the car has had.
For example, mine was six years old when I bought it.
The 1st owner had the car for two years and put 18k on it. It was serviced twice at the main dealer it came from
The 2nd owner only had it one year, covered 10k. And had it serviced at another main dealer
The 3rd had it for ten months and put 10k on it. Bought it from Perry’s who also serviced it - bought it back from the 3rd owner serviced it again and sold it to its 4th owner
The 4th owner had it two years and put 7.5k a year on it. He had it serviced at the service centre in London after its 1st 7.5k, then traded it in for a Merc. The Merc dealer in Oxford sold it on to a used car dealer in Stratford upon Avon where i bought it from.
Me being the 5th. I’ve had it now seven years in March and, it’s covered roughly 20k and it’s been pretty much mollycoddled.
These cars are getting old now, so condition is more important than anything.
The reason I put up the long post is because prior to my ownership, the service history would just be old news, and it’s not so much of a worry to buy one private if the owner is honest. At least a private owner will know the car inside and out like myself.
I myself was in the same boat as you worried about making the wrong choice about buying an Alfa. I’m glad I did. These cars are the type that make a very lasting impression on you. I only ever saw one prior to my ownership in the metal. I only ever saw them on the net reviews, and on YouTube. Soon as I clapped eyes on the car which was the exact spec I wanted and sat in it. I knew I had to have it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking mainly at the 2.2 petrol version, but my heart is telling me to get a 3.2 prodrive tuned version! There seems to be many variants, and I don't think I've got to grips with the differences, yet.

I've mostly owned diesel cars, and feel unsure about getting high mileage petrol cars, particularly ones that are more performance oriented? :-/
There are a couple of very low mileage Prodrive versions but these are going for upwards of £15k.

P.s. I've posted this in the Brera section, too. Thanks. :)

·
Administrator
87,033 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts