Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and Alfa ownership. I bought a 2008 Brera 2.2 a few weeks ago and I love it to bits, however on a couple of occasions I've noticed a patch of fluid on the floor under the car a couple of inches behind the driver side wheel arch. It's noticeable when standing looking at the O/S of the car, you don't have to crouch down or anything to see it. I'm pretty sure it's just water judging by the look/smell and it's cold to the touch even when the engine is warm. I've had the air con running so I thought it could just be condensation from that, however after noticing it earlier today I checked the car after it had been parked up for about six hours from finishing a journey and there is still a minor drip, although not near as much as when I'd just been driving. All my fluid levels are normal. The symptoms seem to point to air con condensation but it seems like a strange area for the condensation to collect. Has anyone come across this before who can put my mind at rest?

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can usually tell by looking down into the plastic grill at the base of the windscreen - if there is water pooling on either side then one or both of the drain holes is blocked. There's one at each end near the wing. A coat hanger jabbed into the drain usually does the trick to unblock them.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've had this for the past few months, it's the washer fluid leaking. I repaired mine about 3 weeks ago. On the washer fluid pump there is a black plastic elbow that connects to a hose, and this elbow cracks. I called Alfa and they won't sell you it on it's own, only with the pump! I bought some self fusing tape and taped the fitting and all is now leak free. You don't need to take off the bumper to do this, just undo the wheel arch liner and peel it back, where you'll see the washer bottle & pump.

Hope this helps

(*Edit. If you mean behind the front wheel as in towards the passenger door, it may not be this. My leak was under the wheel arch where it meets the bumper area)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I had a look at the scuttle drains earlier and there was a fair bit of blockage in there but it cleared out easily enough with a flexible rod. Poured some water through afterwards and it was all draining through as normal.

I've made a schoolboy error in the title, it's actually the offside (driver), not nearside where the fluid is dripping from. I took the car out earlier without using the aircon and it made no difference. I only bought it three weeks ago so I'm tempted to take it back there for them to have a look as it's still under warranty, just wanted to try and sort it myself if it was something obvious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts