Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2.4 Brera in October last year just at the beginning of it raining up until last week. Obviously it has a defunct window switch so in the first two minutes of ownership I was miffed to say the least as the rain drove in the open window.

It is a lovely looking thing which has been its saving grace. Its nowhere near as fast as my older Saab 9-5 Aero, not as comfy and the stereo is pants compared to the Saabs Harmon Kardon system.

TBH its mostly been sat on the drive waiting for a buyer. Stopped advertising over Xmas and now we in lock down. The Saab clears its screens quickly the heated seats are fast and being a petrol turbo from Sweden hot air flows through the vents faster than any car I've had. so it was the ride for winter. Not looking good for the Alfa. But the one thing it hasn't done and is the most important is twinge my heart strings like my Giulietta 2.0RS or any of my Suds or 75s or the 9-5 which I intend to keep even if I win the Euro Lottery. In fact was starting to think/feel it is just another euro box in fancy dress :-(

However, I have been tinkering and washing and polishing and closing the flaming drivers window from the passenger seat and loving the curves and overall excellent condition ! But Cassandra the Brera is starting to make a bit more sense. The suns out the roads are emptyish and the rare trips for essential shopping are becoming a little more enjoyable. The paintwork is popping in the sun, the roads are dry so slinging into roundabouts and sweepers is less death defying than greasy winter roads.

Those seats are actually very comfortable, the stereo is better now it has a touch screen double din, Ive even managed to clear the condensation from the rear light cluster (though due to lockdown no chance to get clear silicon sealant to finish the job).

Thoughts of a schlep across Europe with just me and the missus when Europe is open again are starting to seem quite attractive (Saab has done this duty year after year 5 up with luggage and yes the will do 155 on the autobahn, without too much effort). Though sans kids and just me and SWMBO I think we will take the red car!

So its not as fast, not as well appointed, doesnt handle as well as lots of other stuff, is impractical, rubbish on fuel, too low for me at 6ft 3 but then again a Sud was never as quick as my Golf GTI, but I had 5 suds and one Golf. After years of company cars and a Saab fetish my previous pash for Alfas was waning, non existent even. Occurred to me just now though after an essential trip for one of the kids that there is no point making comparisons, you would never buy an Alfa based on its reliability, bang for buck, vfm, or any other cerebral buying decision. I did buy the Brera as it was low miles, diesel and had had a lot spent. I bought wrong. i bought a Brera thinking it was a clever purchase just one that looked good. Always going to be disappointed with that mindset.

Now though the head has lost the battle and the feel good factor is back. Cassandra is a lovely place to be. Its a cracking drive if not a fire cracker its a little bit of theatre and it makes you bloody well smile whether getting in it or getting out and looking back. Definitely a proper Alfa.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I think you’d like Cassandra more if you had bought the more Saad 9-5 Aero X like 159 V6 Q4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Aero is fwd 290bhp. I did look at 9-3 Aero V6 4WD but i wanted something as a daily and that included fuel consumption covered by the standard allowance. No chance in the V6 of either stable.

They are just very different concepts. Caasandra has egr blank swirl flap delete manifold and a remap so not slow but in comparison mmm. A V6 Q4 wouldnt feel that quick in comparison to an Aero either, apart from the instant throttle response.

I did think about V6 Brera as well but the intention was to put some cheap miles on the "next car". Timing belts on the V6 in comparison to the 2.4 arent pretty reading.

However, Cassandra isnt going to be the daily now, Saab does that job so well hopefully it will see 100k plus more. With that in mind I would have gone for a 3.2 or might have gone GTV route or possibly even 33.

I think the 2.4 will come into its own on long long runs across Europe when the chance occurs. Deffo more GT than sports car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Park your Saab about 20 - 30 metres in front of your Brera and take a look in the rear view mirror.
Better still, get someone to follow you in your Brera, while your driving the Saab?
Again, look in the rear view mirror... You will now see why you bought an Alfa Romeo Brera!!!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea apart from one thing. Did you hear of the report of an RAF Tornado intercepting Concorde? Along the lines of:
"Intercepting SpeedBird 001, we are 3 nautical miles behind." 2 mins later "we are still intercepting SpeedBird 001, position 5 nautical miles behind!" another 2 mins later "Interception of SpeedBird 001 cancelled as we at full throttle and still falling back now 8 nautical miles behind!"

Might machine polish Cassandra some point this week, italian red paint worries me, i wont be aiming to cut much back!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If my SAAB ownership is anything to go by (loved all 5 of them) the Brera will be a peach compared to the SAAB when it comes to dash and cabin rattles

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having taken both dashes apart, the Brera is certainly of a sturdy construction! Wind noise is similar. Difficult to compare as the 9-5 has 100k miles over the Brera.

Reckon the Brera prob rattles less as there is nowhere to store anything to rattle. I want both basically.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I had a 99 in the 70's, that seemed the most solid, but I had progressed from an MGB, so anything was going to be better, then a 900 in the 80's which was good. It wasnt until GM took over, then my 93 of 2000 had all sorts of creeks and rattles from the dashboard, so to did may last 93, lovely shaped car but loads of rattles. And if anyone ever says an Alfa Sipder has scuttle shake has never owned or driven a 93 convertible (2003).
I guess though the 95 retained more SAAB than GM so may have been better. SAAB was though a major loss to the motoring world, thank you GM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may well have had a cracked bulk head in your 2000 9-3. The later 9-3 (ss) were quite brittle inside in comparison to other Saabs. The 9-5 was imho the last pukka Saab and properly put together (born out by the highest scoring NCAP crash test score!). But even then from 2004 ish onwards the interiors went through some weight saving as did the hubs. The peach was the MK2 with Bi Xenon the thicker nicer dash, only on sale late 2001 to 2004- - obvs mine is 2003 car with 52 plate :). Just been for an essential trip, took the Brera. She does gather speed well and dont arf sit well in fast sweepers. Yes was necessary milk x2, fruit, veg and bread - got 4 grown up ankle biters who are like locust and the shop for 2 weeks has started to show gaps after 3.5 days!

Lottery garage would be quite Italian biased but there would be a 900 T16 (Aero) two door - that is with money no object as well - they are fantastic. Would park it next to my concourse Sud QV

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
No the bulk head was fine I knew about that. Our last SAAB went 8 years, it was the convertible and was replaced with an Alfa Romeo 939 Spider.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Until a few months ago, my daily driver was the '89 Saab classic 900 T16 Aero. Cosmetically not the greatest, but under the bonnet mechanically sound and purred along beautifully till the leads went (electronic doodahs always the first to fail in most any car I think).

To be honest, as much as I do like my new 159, the Saab is more fun to drive. And still to this day, somewhat smoother at top speed...ahem, just saying... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts