Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So improving the Q4's looks & dynamics begin!
Interior parts are being sent off to be dip coated carbon fibre effect. I've also started stripping the drivers seat to modify it as I find it way too hard and unsupportive.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The list is long, hopefully i'll get there! :)

Things I've done…
Thorough clean inc door shuts/engine bay etc.
Stripped most silver bits from interior to be carbon coated.
Carried out full service inc gearbox, transfer box and diff oils (Redline oils)
Carried out full 4 wheel alignment… but at only 40,000 miles the front lower arm bushes are way too soft for my liking allowing movement that can be seen with the gauges on it.
Removed centre exhaust silencer.
Opened secondary cats & removed internals.
Reflashed ECU, (these mods have taken almost 1 second off the 40 - 80mph time :))

Planning to do...
Coilovers.
Wheels/tyres.
Certain bushes (Alfa should stop copying the bad bits from BMW lol)
Clean & paint brakes, fit uprated pads & maybe discs.
Tint windows.
I don't like the grey under the dash & door cards so thinking of dyeing it, undecided on the grey on seats yet.
Steering wheel (the one with red stitching from I think the Ti)
Satnav.
Reform the foam in the front seat base as its too hard for my liking.

Then… the engine might get my attention….
Not sure if anyone on here knows me but, Im well enough known in the Jap tuning circles having built numerous 6, 7 & 800bhp skylines, 1100bhp 2litre Evo 8 drag car as well as plenty other models including (dentist mapped) tuning the R35 GTR to over 600bhp as soon as the UK one was released.
I also built a 3.0 V6 Alfa 155 years ago, which reminds me, I still haven't finished my 2004 156, it currently has a Fiat Coupe 16v turbo engine in it :)
So I wouldn't mind tuning the Brera a bit more, forced induction will be the way but need to learn a bit more about the management & limitations of the direct injection first.
:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
The list is long, hopefully i'll get there! :)

Things I've done…
Thorough clean inc door shuts/engine bay etc.
Stripped most silver bits from interior to be carbon coated.
Carried out full service inc gearbox, transfer box and diff oils (Redline oils)
Carried out full 4 wheel alignment… but at only 40,000 miles the front lower arm bushes are way too soft for my liking allowing movement that can be seen with the gauges on it.
Removed centre exhaust silencer.
Opened secondary cats & removed internals.
Reflashed ECU, (these mods have taken almost 1 second off the 40 - 80mph time :))

Planning to do...
Coilovers.
Wheels/tyres.
Certain bushes (Alfa should stop copying the bad bits from BMW lol)
Clean & paint brakes, fit uprated pads & maybe discs.
Tint windows.
I don't like the grey under the dash & door cards so thinking of dyeing it, undecided on the grey on seats yet.
Steering wheel (the one with red stitching from I think the Ti)
Satnav.
Reform the foam in the front seat base as its too hard for my liking.

Then… the engine might get my attention….
Not sure if anyone on here knows me but, Im well enough known in the Jap tuning circles having built numerous 6, 7 & 800bhp skylines, 1100bhp 2litre Evo 8 drag car as well as plenty other models including (dentist mapped) tuning the R35 GTR to over 600bhp as soon as the UK one was released.
I also built a 3.0 V6 Alfa 155 years ago, which reminds me, I still haven't finished my 2004 156, it currently has a Fiat Coupe 16v turbo engine in it :)
So I wouldn't mind tuning the Brera a bit more, forced induction will be the way but need to learn a bit more about the management & limitations of the direct injection first.
:)
Incredible! I'm very interested in this project and look forward to seeing lots of pictures!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would look in to the drive train limitations if your thinking of going down your wish list.

There are a few of us now who are way past the stated limitations of the drive train which is stopping us going much further. If you find a solution please share.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, im quite happy to share anything i find out on here... good or bad.
I obviously have my own garage but im not after any commercial gain from this and tbh it will cost more than the cars purchase price to complete that list.
Ill happily post up developements, ive been driving alfas since i was 17 (25 years ago eek) and have a soft spot for them so quite willing to help other owners with advise.

What limitations are you finding with the Brera so far, maybe i can help?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very much looking forward to seeing progress with the above list. Unfortunately, I lack the technical knowledge and ability to set out on modifications by myself, but with a little guidance.... its just like adult mechano, no...? :)

I've been through the two 2.4JTD tuning threads and interested to see what you can do with the V6.

In regards to 'Opened secondary cats & removed internals', are the emissions still MOT friendly and is this preferable to removing the cats in the exhaust manifolds? I know autodelta were selling cat free manifolds but presumably you need cats at some point?

Concerning Coxy's drive train comments, wouldn't the Q4 system be able to handle a little more than the presumably FWD 2.4s? Autodelta's J5 is running at approximately 350bhp?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks, im quite happy to share anything i find out on here... good or bad.
I obviously have my own garage but im not after any commercial gain from this and tbh it will cost more than the cars purchase price to complete that list.
Ill happily post up developements, ive been driving alfas since i was 17 (25 years ago eek) and have a soft spot for them so quite willing to help other owners with advise.

What limitations are you finding with the Brera so far, maybe i can help?
Its the torque that the gearbox / drive train can handle as the diesel produces much more than the petrol.

Don't know if you've found these

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/304828-clogz-brera-2-4-skunk-works-thread.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/139399-f1-brera-progress-thread-formally-2-4-20v-p-box.html

I'm not quite as far down the modding road as Clogz and JB as I've not done the big turbo mod, but all the other engine/cooling mods are done. I've still not had mine on a dyno so I'm still not sure how far behind Clogz figure of 319bhp/523lbft.

Concerning Coxy's drive train comments, wouldn't the Q4 system be able to handle a little more than the presumably FWD 2.4s? Autodelta's J5 is running at approximately 350bhp?
Not really as its still the same gear box and clutch. Yes the Q4 should have more grip but this would just amplify the stresses on the gearbox and clutch/flywheel as its less likely to spin the wheels.

The Autodelta's J5 is 350 bhp but only running 430Nm or 317 lb-ft which only 17-20lb-ft over a standard 2.4 JTDm

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In regards to 'Opened secondary cats & removed internals', are the emissions still MOT friendly and is this preferable to removing the cats in the exhaust manifolds? I know autodelta were selling cat free manifolds but presumably you need cats at some point?
I looked into it last summer.
Autodelta, Gus and JJB said the V6 will pass MOT with either of the pairs of cats removed.

I am unsure whether you will get more from the engine by doing the rear cats, as greater gains would be had by dealing with the headers where the gasses are hotter and faster. If the expense could be met I would go for even length cat-free headers and then putting sport cats on further down the system. The intake from the front snorkel to the air filter box needs improving too, Then the remap! Not cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Naturally aspirated tuning re. the exhaust is very complex. I only removed the 2nd cat inners & centre silencer (straight through anyway) to see if the engine had any vocals as it sounds quite drab really, it helped the sound a little and it isnt too loud.
Having empty cats probably hinders due to turbulence as much as the cats theirselves.
Ultimately i would like to turbo it so it would end up 3" straight through with stainless back boxes, i would incorporate a skyline decat pipe into it and use a skyline cat for mot.
Clutches should be easy enough, plenty twin plates on the market so it would just be a case of modifying/making a flywheel to suit.
Dunno about the trsnsmission yet though it looks tiny compared to an evo or skyline ... eek!
Also there will have to be quite a bit of code breaking in that ecu as the direct injection alone must have numerous maps just to control it..... like i havent got better things to do lol :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Inspiring work matey - I'd love to know how you got the trim peices off - the gear surround, centre console and wheel decor peice. I've had Alfa 156s apart but this 159 seems much more securely clipped together, annoyingly!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well parts came back in 2 weeks, managed to pick up a Ti steering wheel too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
re: your quest for mega power - there have been a couple of South African owned V6 Breras spoken of on here that have 500bhp and another rumoured to have 800 !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts