Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already upgraded my speakers and have an amp in the boot too. The car has Blue and Me. I'd now like to upgrade the head unit to improve the sound quality, and I wouldn't mind having Sat nav too for those Alfa runs.

I would either like to keep the Blue & Me functionality OR at least still have an ipod in the glove box and telephone bluetooth system, with steering wheel controls, and preferably with voice control if possible.

Anyone installed a head unit that does the above? I gather Pioneer is popular, though one audio installer said there is also an Alpine unit available that will work with the Brera. I believe there is some sort of adapter kit for the Brera that may be needed too. How much have your set ups cost? I want to keep costs down!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have an Alpine IDA x001 (there are newer versions) which is a single din unit that displays the album art off your ipod, which i think is a nice touch (about £100 off ebay).

If your after a double din there's an Alpine IXA 404r, which i haven't tested yet, but it looks good.

With both units you need to purchase an additional Bluetooth box, but I've just have a nokia unit, which cut's out the stereo, when someone calls (i'm not sure how the blue & me work's, but it might do the same job if it's already wired into the main universal stereo plugs/leads).

With the 404r, you'll also need another box for sat nav, but I use my mobile sat nav with a holder on the window screen, and the bluetooth kit (as before) cut's out the stereo sound when giving directions then put's the stereo back on.

I'm a big fan of the nokia blue tooth kit (CK-100), which also lets you play music from you're mobile, and is also easy to complete software updates, just by pluging it into your lappy.

For steering controls, you will need to buy some adaptors, or you can chop some of the steering control wires and plug it into the steering control wires at the back of the Alpine, and program the stereo.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi Fish :)

I think you may struggle to find a unit that will accept route files. For instance, my Pioneer F710BT won't.

BUT, because it runs Windows CE, I can run TomTom Navigator on it :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris! Ah fair enough. Maybe we should disregard the Sat Nav requirement then, seeing as I have an Android phone and you can get lots of sat nav apps for that.

Anyone know what head units will work with the Brera steering controls, and give me bluetooth and ipod connectivity?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi Chris! Ah fair enough. Maybe we should disregard the Sat Nav requirement then, seeing as I have an Android phone and you can get lots of sat nav apps for that.
I've got CoPilot on the iPhone and think it's a brilliant bit of kit :) (and we tend to do route files for CoPilot too :))

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Most of the main brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc) will offer a product that suits your needs (even if it means having to add on a BT unit, or GPS, that integrates). Steering wheel controls are easy to maintain using a suitable interface, but none (AFAIK) allow you to use the 'left centre' phone/voice button on the steering wheel. And voice control is not yet common place (if at all, I haven't looked at all brands).

But GPS, DVD, BT, steering wheel controls, are all there to be had. Yes, you will want to pay more for a better model, as simple as that.

:)

G

·
0 Posts
i've got a kenwood 5240BT unit in the spider its got ipod adaptor and steering wheel control, garmin sat nav, USB connectors, video, bluetooth phone, works with iphone, easy to use and now down to about £500 plus the ipod adaptor.

never tried adding routes but you can add speed camera locations and poi, only downside is map updates are expensive but i think i figured a way to put new ones on via the usb cable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Commanderfish,

As I'm planning to upgrade my brera's speakers, before fitting an amp & sub I already have, do you mind letting me know what speakers you went for and your thoughts on them?,

thanks

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Commanderfish,

As I'm planning to upgrade my brera's speakers, before fitting an amp & sub I already have, do you mind letting me know what speakers you went for and your thoughts on them?,

thanks
I went with Hertz Hi Energy speakers and an Audison SR4X amp, they are very good compared to the factory stuff, much better sound. However I am very picky having had great sound quality from Alpine Head Units and upgraded speakers in previous cars, so the factory head unit just has to go now. It's the only thing that lets the car down for me.

I have to say, if you get a good head unit with say 50W x 4, then you may not need a new amp. Then again if you want serious sub woofer power then maybe you do need a seperate amp. I don't really go for subs myself so not sure how much power you need.

I would add this: the age of your aftermarket equipment doesn't really matter, my 1999 £200 Alpine Head Unit was still MILES better than my 2007 factory Brera Head Unit. So I would suggest to you, yes, fit your old amp and sub. Spend your money on getting decent front speakers and ideally a good after market head unit, I have just picked this: AVH-P4200DVD Double-Din Multimedia Player with 7-inch Screen, SD card input, iPod Control, USB and Aux-in - Pioneer DVD Player & Screens

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't use the Pioneer, Alpine HU yet, so I am not sure if the will keep the original car features. I have used an XTRONS head unit with Android system 8 before. It will keep the Blue and Me features as well as add a lot of pretty helpful features like car auto play, mirror link, bluetooth hands-free calls. I don't remember the exact model number of the car stereo though. You may check it from the official website or talk with the customer service team.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts