Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

To cut a long story short, I am looking for a little guidance on how to pursue a dispute I have with Alfa Romeo...

A little over 30 days ago I was traveling up north when my 2.4 Brera started making an awful noise and the oil light came on. I pulled over checked the oil - which was bear, so I put around 4-5 litres in, this had no affect on the oil light...

I took my car to the garage 2 days later....30 days later, I am told that the engine has been starved of oil and the warranty claim has been rejected as this is not a manufacturer issue.

Bear in mind

- car serviced 10,000 miles prior to this
- there is no oil leak
- complete oil change at service
- no oil light before this issue
- Alfa Romeo customer service team are absolutely useless
- Warranty will not provide proof of issue
- Complete engine rebuild required - which is £6k
- Courtesy car now been revoked
- Contract hire Payments still continue

Do i have to expect a 6k engine rebuild every 10,000 miles with the Brera?

Can anyone provide any guidance on where to take this - other than a lawyer...

Many Thanks

PS figured that I may have posted in the wrong area (newbies) :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi -

Bear in mind

- car serviced 10,000 miles prior to this
- there is no oil leak
- complete oil change at service
- no oil light before this issue
-

Do i have to expect a 6k engine rebuild every 10,000 miles with the Brera?

Just to clarify- car serviced 10 k miles ago--did you check the oil level at any point since?

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's difficult because you can't prove that you've put Oil in since their Oil change.

However, if the engine has siezed then I would say they would see it as negligence, and therefore void the warranty unless you can find the root cause of the problem and prove it's a Mechanical Fault with the car?

Good luck though mate, 6k is v. worrying!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's difficult because you can't prove that you've put Oil in since their Oil change.

However, if the engine has siezed then I would say they would see it as negligence, and therefore void the warranty unless you can find the root cause of the problem and prove it's a Mechanical Fault with the car?

Good luck though mate, 6k is v. worrying!
As far as I am aware, the engine hadn't seized, I was able to drive it to the garage - but without the warranty report, i can't say for certain what the issue is...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Was the oil-check on start-up showing oil loss? If there was no oil leak, the oil must have been burnt (I think) which would seem to be an engine fault but I'm no expert on these matters. Hope you get some joy :(

·
Registered
586 Posts
that said - should i expect the car to run out of oil and damage the engine in 10k?
Probably not, but it all depends on the Engine and how the cars driven etc. No two units are the same...

Think you should speak to the Contract company, did you pay the extra for maintenance costs on your premium?

·
Registered
154 Posts
As far as I am aware, the engine hadn't seized, I was able to drive it to the garage - but without the warranty report, i can't say for certain what the issue is...

Thanks
Personally cant understand why they wont give you a copy of the report,:tut: if it shows oil starvation then thier is little to hide and they will refer you back to the handbook and the (probable sticker on the car)
which if my memory serves me right may be in the petrol flap and say its down to you for poor maintainance.
you could arrange your own report by aa/rac as vehicle sounds like it is stripped down but only going by what you have said it may only confirm the worst for you:cry:
Best of luck hope it works out for you:thumbs:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the oil-check on start-up showing oil loss? If there was no oil leak, the oil must have been burnt (I think) which would seem to be an engine fault but I'm no expert on these matters. Hope you get some joy :(
oil check on start up all clear - only when the issue happened did this come on - I put 4-6 litres in and this didn't touch it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i appreciate that I should of paid more attention to the oil level, but I didn't put any oil in for the first 10k miles - am I clutching at straws here?

·
Registered
154 Posts
that said - should i expect the car to run out of oil and damage the engine in 10k?
My opinion no,but mine does not count.
saying that if you had checked it a little more ofton you would have spotted it and taken it up with lease company/ garage well before the amount of damage you have now.
still feel sorry for you though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
your right and i feel like a complete mug for letting it get this far...aa/rac will only compound my issue further, looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Bad news! Not sure if a level check is required in a car with a dashboard electronic level read out on each start up!?

Worth a mention? That said I still check dipstick.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maybe they didn't put the oil filter well and it went off... I know oil levels can vary if you are heavy on your right foot like me, but still, even my 155 v6 with 160k miles on the clock spends barely 1ltr of oil between changes (7k miles period). For what you said the engine didn't have any oil in it at all (since you were able to put 5lts in it) and it is quite new. The only way you can be blaimed for loosing all the oil is to break the oil pan, for example hitting it against a speed bump, besides poor maintenance that as you clarified, it is not the case.

Was it leaking oil when it broke down? Smoke from anywhere?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts