Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems Autoexpress had the same cars on test as Autocar (see Nomads post).

They placed it last and compalned it was no faster than a hot hatch, they mention it actually posted the slowest time around the track!!!:( :( :(

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well I kind of understand after taking one for a test drive recently it was not the most fun Alfa I've ever been in. Feels heavy and sluggish, not as nimble as previous Alfa's I'm sad to say. Hopefully a GTA version will rectify that but at what cost?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So they put a brera coupe up against 6 sports cars and it comes last. Simple answer, yes it will! Brera isnt a sports car, its a GT, a cruiser, built to much motorways and sweepy mountain roads at speed in comfort.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JTD250 said:
So they put a brera coupe up against 6 sports cars and it comes last. Simple answer, yes it will! Brera isnt a sports car, its a GT, a cruiser, built to much motorways and sweepy mountain roads at speed in comfort.
Yeah, but it was also up against the Ford Focus ST, Mini Cooper Works, Renault Clio 197, Audi RS4, Nissan 350z and Seat Leon FR:( :( :(

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree with JTD250.. the Brera is a criser... it's a looker and the most beautiful and eye catching of the lot.. if they say the Brera is ugly i think they're coss-eyed!

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
It was also featured in an Autocar test at Oulton Park (unless this is the one being referred to). The report states that it was driven in direct competition with a 350Z, Z4 Coupe, and CaymanS and was judged last on overall performance, described as turgid. They also referred to the mid corner switch from understeer to oversteer and rounded off on it's 'woeful performance' with a claim that the sound of V6 engine did nothing to alleviate the misery...............but the statement 'chronically overweight' seemed to sum up the testers disappointment.

I know the Brera owners are going to respond to defend their cars on other more esoteric grounds, and Autocar has a particular downer on Alfas, but performance deficiencies are simply bad news for a performance brand……

·
Registered
8 Posts
But it not a sports car so what was the point of the test????

Yes it looks sporty
Yes it has a big v6
No it isnt a sports car
Where was the Merc CLK 320?? because that's what the Brera is really like, only much better looking.GT as in Grand Tourer not Gets Thrashed!

If they want to do that sort of test wait for the 8C or get hold of a new Lancia Fulvia to play with. At least pitch it against it's actual competition not just things that happen to look similar.

·
Registered
397 Posts
harleyriv said:
They also referred to the mid corner switch from understeer to oversteer and rounded off on it's 'woeful performance' with a claim that the sound of V6 engine did nothing to alleviate the misery...............but the statement 'chronically overweight' seemed to sum up the testers disappointment.

I know the Brera owners are going to respond to defend their cars on other more esoteric grounds, and Autocar has a particular downer on Alfas, but performance deficiencies are simply bad news for a performance brand……
This is the key point; huge weight is forgiveable in a maserati quatroporte with advanced suspension to handle it, but add this to one third of all power going into the trans for damn all 4wd benefit, and you have a lemon.

I would like to see more views on the 2.2 cars. The standard engine power band looks great, the weight and handling should be less of a problem, who cares if they're FWD, so are the GTAs; a supercharged 159 2.2 with quaife lsd for me please.

·
Registered
161 Posts
harleyriv said:
It was also featured in an Autocar test at Oulton Park (unless this is the one being referred to). The report states that it was driven in direct competition with a 350Z, Z4 Coupe, and CaymanS and was judged last on overall performance, described as turgid. They also referred to the mid corner switch from understeer to oversteer and rounded off on it's 'woeful performance' with a claim that the sound of V6 engine did nothing to alleviate the misery...............but the statement 'chronically overweight' seemed to sum up the testers disappointment.

I'm a Brera owner, & i'm afraid i cant defend the car at all, it is really that poor. Easily the worst car i've owned, & they didnt even mention the seats & driving position. I would love to know how they could physically drive it round a circuit. As i recall in the article, they preferred the 1.6 basic Focus!!!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
cirvy said:
I'm a Brera owner, & i'm afraid i cant defend the car at all, it is really that poor. Easily the worst car i've owned, & they didnt even mention the seats & driving position. I would love to know how they could physically drive it round a circuit. As i recall in the article, they preferred the 1.6 basic Focus!!!
i don't understand, if you dislike the brera so much then why did you choose one?

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
cirvy said:
I'm a Brera owner,

I don't understand either. Why does it say you drive a GT under your name?:confused:

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
ACAPULCO AL said:
i'm fairly new to internet forums, i've yet to learn about trolls the hard way:D
I'm newer to forums and longer in the tooth Al. What's this about?:confused:

G

·
I think cirvy is just playing the game
that we Brera owners are doing
at the mo'

Just agreeing with all the jibes and
bad reviews.

Who cares what anyone thinks when
you drive around in a car and everyone
turns round, looks, smiles, pulls
up beside you at lights and tells you
how cool your car is.

The less people who by Breras the
rarer they;ll be and the longer the
honeymoon will last :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Nev, you have a good point. I've seen a couple locally but only one regularly near my dad's and its owner works at the general hospital. It looks so great it is hard NOT to like/want one despite the stories of lardy performance, poor headroom etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.