Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front bumper on my Brera is suffering from a few stone chips and some lacquer peel. I've got a chipsaway guy coming next week to have a look at the main patch of lacquer peel, but on closer inspection there is minor damage across the whole width of the bumper.

Therefore I am thinking that it would probably be better to get the whole bumper resprayed.
Has anybody had their front bumper resprayed (either as part of warranty, or privately)? Was the colour match good (mines Alfa Red) and what sort of price do you think I would be looking at paying for a full bumper?

Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
I'd say 350 quid.

My whole front was resprayed last year and sofar, colour looks good.

I don't think mine has a clearcoat.

Check your black grill work under the bumper. It peels and
now would be a good time to do it if you're having the bumper resprayed.

Also check your fogs for signs of corrosion on the reflectors.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Nev, much appriciated.

Do you know if they removed your bumper, I assume they sprayed it in place if they did the whole front?

I still have the chipsaway guy coming to have a look at it, but due to the breadth of the chipping a respray is probably the way to go.

I'm just concerned about them not matching or blending it correctly. Although I have 2 personal recommendations for the place I will go to for a quote. They quoted me about £300 to respray the front, bonnet and wing mirrors of my 147 last year, but I didn't end up having the work done before the part-ex.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I am in the same predicament in terms the front of bella looking like I has been sand blasted.

Whilst I'm lucky in some degree as my best friend has his own bodyshop which I can call on, this still going to cost even at mates rates.

Another option I was considering was the use of a smart repairer to tidy it up then cover the bumper with Armour fend or equivalent, clear plastic coating protection. Similar to the OEM stone protectors on rear wheel arch but covering the front end!

A friend had his TVR Tuscan done with this and it was hardly noticeable and completely prevented any future stone chips.

I plan to look into how much this costs as it's not a DIY option.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been to the body shop this morning and received a quote of £180 + VAT, so it's booked in for next week.

They are going to take the bumper off and want a couple of days to do it.

On close inspection, it has been resprayed previously whilst on the car. There was some over spray around the lights and grills. It also looks like the passenger door has been resprayed as well at some time.

It's only 3 years old and only had 17k miles on it. The last owner must have been really annoyed, unless it was done under warranty!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds a great price for 180+VAT! I hope they do a good job.

I had one side of my bumper done (stone chips and a paint crack) - cost £100 and that wasn't even a respray. Did a great job though - cannot even see it where they blended it.

Would highly recommend chips away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cancelled the chips away guy as there was no point in him quoting for one patch when the whole thing needs doing.

I know a few people who have used this bodyshop before and have given good feedback. I'd actually heard that they were very good, but not the cheapest, so the price surprised me.

Fingers crossed that the colour match is good.

They do alloys too, but their off the shelf 'iron grey' colour is not a very good match for my anthracite alloys, so I'll give that a miss.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I picked it up on Friday. the quality of the spray finish is great, unfortunatly the colour match isn't.

The photo doesn't show it quite as clearly as the naked eye as it's taken on my phone. I'll take some with my camera tonight.

Apparently the sticker under the bonnet lists the colour code (289/A) and then lists 3 different manufacturers. They picked one manufacturer and sprayed it. It would appear they didn't do a test card first. They are re-doing it next week. This time they will get in 2 different manufacturers versions of 289/A and see which is the best match, prior to re-spraying the bumper and blending it into the wings this time.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/imag0075zs.jpg/

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
My guy spent ages with the colour swatches as he said the number
on the car matched about 6 differing colours on file.

He did it by eye, ignoring the codes in the end.

May be your bumper will be less chip prone after so many coats?

;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts