Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might get a Brera in a few months time. Little un will be getting in and out of the car by herself so this might be a good (the only) opportunity to own one before her legs get too long :lol:....I have been waiting six years to own one so will be a tad excited

How's everyone getting on with their 2.2's?

Can't afford to run a 3.2 anymore and don't want a diesel (well it's more that the 2.2's are much cheaper to buy!!!). I had a 2.2 in a 159 and it was Mango modded plus a sports exhaust so sounded beautiful. Was a bit slow mind but hoping the Brera will be a couple of points of a second quicker? Not overly fussed about speed these days anyhow (finally growing up...........probably not)

If anyone wants to swap one for a remapped diesel GT then I'll be ready ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have had my 2.2s for 18 months, still not got round to any tweaks but just love it. Gonna keep it until something else on the market comes anywhere close to it for looks?!

Still coming to terms with the MPG as moved from 1.9jtd GT (low-mid 20's vs high 30's) but only doing 5-6k/yr so no biggy.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
4 months in with a 2.2 mpg aint great but then my miles is all a and b road with some town and lots of very steep winding lanes which hit consumption.

Other than that and one or two faults early on in my ownership all is good, its been to the garage once since i bought it for a seized brake pad, its a lovely car to drive and be in and although some may say the 2.2 is underpowered i find it adequate for how i use the car, just cuising around and enjoying the drive.

:)

Sean

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought a "Brera for the summer" is called an Alfa Spider! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My Spider is a 2.2 and it isn't exactly a neck snapper, but it certainly is stylish. I would say it has sufficient power and I don't see that the 3.2 offers enough performance advantage to make it worth my while. Of course, other folks may have a different opinion, but that's what makes a horse race, right?

By the way, if you can't afford to own a 3.2 you can't afford the 2.2 either. Neither of these versions is an economy car by any standards..... well modern standards anyway. A Brera is an unnecessarily expensive car which also gets pretty poor fuel mileage. It's not exactly in the "super car as a toy" category, but if money is tight, a Brera (or Spider) of any flavor is a poor choice.

Now if you mean to say you can't justify the additional cost of buying and operating a 3.2 (as compared with a 2.2), then I would have to agree. I could "afford" a 3.2, but I can't see the value in it considering the way I drive these days and the high cost of fuel in Italy. Perhaps that's the same situation you find yourself in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna keep it until something else on the market comes anywhere close to it for looks?!
That may be a while ;)

just cuising around and enjoying the drive.

:)

Sean
That'll do me Sean

I thought a "Brera for the summer" is called an Alfa Spider! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My Spider is a 2.2 and it isn't exactly a neck snapper, but it certainly is stylish. I would say it has sufficient power and I don't see that the 3.2 offers enough performance advantage to make it worth my while. Of course, other folks may have a different opinion, but that's what makes a horse race, right?

By the way, if you can't afford to own a 3.2 you can't afford the 2.2 either. Neither of these versions is an economy car by any standards..... well modern standards anyway. A Brera is an unnecessarily expensive car which also gets pretty poor fuel mileage. It's not exactly in the "super car as a toy" category, but if money is tight, a Brera (or Spider) of any flavor is a poor choice.

Now if you mean to say you can't justify the additional cost of buying and operating a 3.2 (as compared with a 2.2), then I would have to agree. I could "afford" a 3.2, but I can't see the value in it considering the way I drive these days and the high cost of fuel in Italy. Perhaps that's the same situation you find yourself in.
Ha ha true about the Spider...didn't think of that

Oh yeah I could afford to buy a 3.2, just running it would be the issue. I recently sold a 159 3.2 due to £40 a week in fuel and I hardly do any miles, £460 road tax which is beyond ridiculous and I'm pretty sure the Brera 3.2 is insurance group 19 (or whatever it is these days). The 2.2 is affordable 'just' by my sums. It's all pie in the sky anyhow at present as things are tricky at work and in the next few months I could be losing my job or getting a promotion!!! Confusing or what :lol:

p.s The 3.2 I had in the 159 guise was quite a bit quicker that the 2.2 I used to own. It didn't feel it due to long gearing etc but the fact most cars became a speck in my mirror told me that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts