Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back bumper Is a different shade of red to the rest of my car , you probably wouldn't know unless I showed it you. Bumper is plastic and rear wings and boot are metal, is this why it's faded ?

Anything to cure is apart from a re-spray. Tcut is rubbish on plastic

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sounds like it’s had a repaint in the past.
No cutting compound is going to changed the shade if the paint shade has been mixed incorrectly. You can’t change the shade, and cutting compound will only level off the clear coat, from light marks, buffer trails, etc, unless you’re cutting led/oil based paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It’s very common on Alfa to have slightly different shade of colour on the plastic parts as they are not painted on the car in factory. Most noticeable on rosso,my 159 has slightly different shade front and back when viewed from certain angles.

Only way to resolve is respray and blend in to the other panels.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
It’s very common on Alfa to have slightly different shade of colour on the plastic parts as they are not painted on the car in factory. Most noticeable on rosso,my 159 has slightly different shade front and back when viewed from certain angles.

Only way to resolve is respray and blend in to the other panels.
Agreed, my rear bumper is definitely lighter then the painted metal - was discussing this with a chap with the same car down at Autolusso, was thinking it may have been a repainted bumper, but his was the same.

Again, only noticed on Alfa Red though, and only when it's clean!

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Quite normal for plastic painted bumpers to be a shade off from the metal......nothing I can see on my Rosso 159 though. For the worst examples look at any silver Audi.....their plastic parts look like they are painted a different shade of silver!!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
So people are proposing it left the factory with the wrong shade of paint, and the first owner couldn’t, or didn’t bother to claim on the paint warranty?
I’m finding that hard to believe. I think it’s been repainted at some point after it left the dealership network

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quite normal for plastic painted bumpers to be a shade off from the metal......nothing I can see on my Rosso 159 though. For the worst examples look at any silver Audi.....their plastic parts look like they are painted a different shade of silver!!!
I absolutely refuse to look at an audi

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

My wife had a silver TT about 7 years ago, that was all the same shade.
Doubt AUDI would lax on its quality control.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's been repainted. Most often it will be caused by poor mixing scheme management. All colours will be mixed from multiple cans of paint. So a red that includes some blue (they do) might have been mixed after the blue can ran out. The painter gets a new can out and doesn't stir it thoroughly enough so the mix has a thin blue from the top of the can. Then he is on the back foot trying to improve the shade and might add more red. The whole mixing scheme is now ruined and all painting will be 'improved' by eye. The outcome is a shade of red that looked ok on day one but is now fading at a different rate to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hate to contradict some answers but no manufacturer paints bumpers a different shade. This is just one of those things, some of the problem is the fact that bumper are plastic but mostly it is because the bumper can be at a slightly different angle to the joining panels, it therefore looks slightly different. I have seen lots of cases were the colour has been blended into adjoining panels and it still looks the same. Check out Land Rover Discovery sport or Range Rover Evoques

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Hate to contradict some answers but no manufacturer paints bumpers a different shade. This is just one of those things, some of the problem is the fact that bumper are plastic but mostly it is because the bumper can be at a slightly different angle to the joining panels, it therefore looks slightly different. I have seen lots of cases were the colour has been blended into adjoining panels and it still looks the same. Check out Land Rover Discovery sport or Range Rover Evoques
It’s not painting it a different shade but painting at a different time also plastic parts need additives for flexibility.

Saw a brand fire new guiletta with bumpers slightly different colour to other panels,after I found out this happens with Alfa I have been looking at any I see and find them all the same. fiats seem to have same thing aswell that’s why I am not bothered by mine being slightly different.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
My wife had a silver TT about 7 years ago, that was all the same shade.
Doubt AUDI would lax on its quality control.

You need to look a bit harder, especially on A4 and A6 models. It does look different on the plastics compared to the metal...but it's not a quality control issue according to them. This is what they said about it......

"This (apparent colour variation) is more noticeable on lighter coloured and metallic paints because the plastic components have a static charge so the paint doesn’t settle in the same way as it does on the metal panels.This causes pigment floatation which makes some plastic painted areas darker than others."

I sold new Audi's (and VWs when they used to sell both in the same showrooms) in Chichester for about 15 years. We used to get people in moaning about it all the time. Audi refused to do anything about it.
I still notice it on new Audis (and others) today. Sometimes it only shows at certain angles.

Here's a typical thread you find all over the Audi forums.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/different-colour-bumpers-on-my-spanking-new-s3.154190/

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Its not just Alfas, red always seems to be proned to fading, and I was told once by a painter that when painting plastics you add a plastisiser to keep the paint flexible which can alter the way the paint ages.
Years ago I had a Renault 21 Turbo that I'd known from new and knew it had never been painted but under the florescent lights at a petrol station both bumpers, mirrors and side strips looked a different shade of red.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It’s not painting it a different shade but painting at a different time also plastic parts need additives for flexibility.

Saw a brand fire new guiletta with bumpers slightly different colour to other panels,after I found out this happens with Alfa I have been looking at any I see and find them all the same. fiats seem to have same thing aswell that’s why I am not bothered by mine being slightly different.
As somebody that has been painting cars for over 25 years I do have a little bit of knowledge about this

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its not just Alfas, red always seems to be proned to fading, and I was told once by a painter that when painting plastics you add a plastisiser to keep the paint flexible which can alter the way the paint ages.
Years ago I had a Renault 21 Turbo that I'd known from new and knew it had never been painted but under the florescent lights at a petrol station both bumpers, mirrors and side strips looked a different shade of red.
That is called metamerism, its that sodium lights picking out different pigments in the paint, very common on reds and yellows

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
It’s down to how the paint is mixed. If the colours you mix together are not the correct weight it’ll be a different shade of colour.

The only panel on my car that hasn’t been painted since it left the factory is the back bumper ( but it will be getting done soon with the rear quarters again due to minor stone chipping and a marked rear bumper ), and all of them match.
The paint has sunk on my O/S/R 1/4 panel and bonnet, but I’ve been assured that it’ll flatten down and buff out with the correct methods used.
The water based paint that Alfa used was pretty woeful, especially on the red cars.
Must of been cheap stuff

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Had a clio 172 cup from new that had plastic wings. The colour of those looked different to the metal panels.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
As has already been said, the bumpers were painted in a different factory, not on the car and resulted in a colour mismatch on the cars from new. There's also issues with the paint used on the bumpers having a plasticiser in it that causes it to react differently to sunlight to the rest of the car also causing a mismatch of colours.

Or it could have been in an accident. But there's always other tell tails when they have been in one that confirms this. A colour mismatch in isolation is probably factory fit, particularly if the front and rear bumpers match.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts