Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm looking at changing the standard plain discs on my brera 3.2 to drilled and grooved ones. Mainly for aesthetic reasons, but also for performance. Just wondered if anybody knows of anywhere that I might get some for a good price? Mtec seem to be the best price I've found so far, but i've had no experience of them and therefore have no idea if they're any good or not.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hi folks, I'm looking at changing the standard plain discs on my brera 3.2 to drilled and grooved ones. Mainly for aesthetic reasons, but also for performance. Just wondered if anybody knows of anywhere that I might get some for a good price? Mtec seem to be the best price I've found so far, but i've had no experience of them and therefore have no idea if they're any good or not.
Performance needs quality and that comes at a price.Cheap brakes are never a good idea espesially on a heavy car like the Brera Q4.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely agree, but there has to be some compromise. I'd go for full brembos, but the price is astronomical!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Performance needs quality and that comes at a price.Cheap brakes are never a good idea espesially on a heavy car like the Brera Q4.:D
Grooves and drills aside, is there any difference between cheap discs and expensive discs?
I'm talking about one piece cast iron discs, not carbon ceramic or two piece ones.
They are all manufactured to the same specs, they are identical in size, shape (including vents and all) and I doubt the expensive ones use a different cast iron type than cheaper ones.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fitted Mtec drilled and grooved discs front and rear to my T/S GTV last year. Made a big difference to brake performance and have had no issues with them. Noticed that the same discs for my 2.4 159 are more than twice the price so wouldn't consider them cheap, but would fit them if my car needed discs.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When choosing certain parts /upgrades that can make the difference between life N death....brakes, tyres, suspension etc only use the best... Which in my case was brembos disks and high performance pads. I've seen what happens when they fail. Pad come off the backing plate, disks warp or fluid boils when over heating

Don't risk it IMHO

Mj

·
Registered
25 Posts
No cracking or wear at all. Just using standard Mintex pads as I personally feel you get a better initial bite with the softer compound compared to the harder compounds. Get no issues with fade at all and very little brake dust. And as you say aesthetically they look fantastic, especially on my GTV as I have 17" multispoke Speedlines on it so they are very visible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No cracking or wear at all. Just using standard Mintex pads as I personally feel you get a better initial bite with the softer compound compared to the harder compounds. Get no issues with fade at all and very little brake dust. And as you say aesthetically they look fantastic, especially on my GTV as I have 17" multispoke Speedlines on it so they are very visible.
Have you had any problems with the Mintex pads squeaking? I know they don't have a rubber backing to them, so plenty of copper grease is needed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When choosing certain parts /upgrades that can make the difference between life N death....brakes, tyres, suspension etc only use the best... Which in my case was brembos disks and high performance pads. I've seen what happens when they fail. Pad come off the backing plate, disks warp or fluid boils when over heating

Don't risk it IMHO

Mj
well I've been doing my homework on the matter and Brembo discs are not that high quality as you might be led to believe: apparently they're pretty prone to cracking and deteriorate quite substantially compared to others.

D

·
0 Posts
Fitted Mtec drilled and grooved discs front and rear to my T/S GTV last year. Made a big difference to brake performance and have had no issues with them. Noticed that the same discs for my 2.4 159 are more than twice the price so wouldn't consider them cheap, but would fit them if my car needed discs.
Another vote for Mtec just fitted them to the 156 with Carbon Lorraine pads and the brakes are completely transformed from the previous set up I had.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I'd prefer Drilled for the looks, but I'm aware that there is a big risk of them cracking. Dimpled would be a close second choice.
Dave are you interested in how your brake disks look or how they perform?

As for the question about drilled and grooved talk to Gus AKA Alfa Tuner, I was very happy with the Tarox upgrades he fitted to my GT.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave are you interested in how your brake disks look or how they perform?

As for the question about drilled and grooved talk to Gus AKA Alfa Tuner, I was very happy with the Tarox upgrades he fitted to my GT.
I would like both! I definitely think that the plain discs do not compliment the look of the car anywhere near as much as drilled or dimpled would. Performance is always a good thing, but I'm not a particularly fast driver, so I don't need full on road race performance. As long as they work to a good standard, I'm happy.

I'm seriously considering the Mtec dimpled and grooved with the black coating on them. That way I get the look of a drilled and grooved disc without the worry of cracking. As for pads, I'm considering Brembos, I know and trust brembo, but I'm definitely open to other opinions.

I've heard about the Tarox discs, but not really heard many reviews. How do they perform?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts