Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would love to get a Brera, but too scared of owning one incase it does belly up, lol
I recently sold my 130i and was looking at getting a 1.9TDI A3 as replacement as a mile cruncher.
Aways loved the Brera look but know nothing about them.
Has anyone changed from a VW/Audi/BMW to one?
What to look for, got around 5k to spend but not alot about, which is a good thing I guess compared to the Germans.
Cheers :thumbs:

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Two choice's IMO, keep driving a german car & simply run with the herd, & when your lucky enough to spot a Brera on the road whilst driving such a boring gloomy car make sure you have a tissue to whip the drool from your mouth.

2nd choice get a Brera and have the envy of most german car motorist you'll pull along side at the lights.

I stopped at the lights today & had a BMW 435i (2014 plate) driver looking at the Brera, horse shoe wheels, 6 pot Brembo's up like he thought he'd also made a wrong choice.

But the choice is yours? Boring or Brera?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,951 Posts
Get the German car, German cars never break down, never have problems and oh the quality and style of the interior just fabulous.

My wife just looked over my shoulder and told me to stop teasing!!:lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I owned the mkII A3 S-Line with the 3.2L V6 engine and changed it for the 159 2.0JTDM SW and while there was nothing particularly wrong with the car, I just never really "clicked" with it.

Yes it was fantastically quick, it made a nice sound and the quattro system means it sticks to corners although it does still understeer massively and the traction control is a bit intrusive. I had no issues with reliabilty etc... as you'd expect.

But...

The 159 (and i guess the Brera) is just more fun to drive and even though its a diesel its not too bad (the 2.0 is much better than my old 1.9 TDI Golf) I also enjoy the rare-ness of the Alfa - it is very rare that I see another car the same as mine which can't be said for the Golf or the A3 - I guess it boils down to what you want in a car.

Buy the Alfa dont look back or regret it and don't buy into the whole "Alfa's are less reliable" camp - its plainly wrong

Equally buy the A3 and I am sure you will be happy....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Reliability wise, there is not much in it ( had clutch and turbo issues with my A3), the question is to you want to fit in, or do you want to stand out!? Audi A3 zzzzzzzzz

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL at the comments!

I have been driving my sisters A3 2.0TDI which is boring as hell but I am averaging 51mpg (compared to my 130i 30mpg).
I was looking at the older 1.9 due to reliability as her car has had a new turbo and afew other parts being the crappy BKD engine, although fine now.

What are the Brera diesels like on fuel?

This anyones on here?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201161269914

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't expect anywhere near the 51MPG of the A3 with the 2.4 - more likely to get around 35MPG maybe low 40's with a remap and dpf removal (search the threads and see)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If Audi VW & BMW drivers did the Alfa wave of acknowledgement thing, they would soon get bored, due to the number on the roads.

Look at how many are for sale on AutoTrader?? 10's of thousands ... Saturated market

If you want to drive something that turns heads and puts a smile on your face every time you drive it, which a brera 2.4 jdtm will do, then you're on the right forum.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Two choice's IMO, keep driving a german car & simply run with the herd, & when your lucky enough to spot a Brera on the road whilst driving such a boring gloomy car make sure you have a tissue to whip the drool from your mouth.

But the choice is yours? Boring or Brera?
:thumbs: Well said that man :lol:.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Look at it this way, if the 2 choice's was dating a stripper? Or dating a librarian? You know the stripper may cost you alot of cash to please, but think of the..... Oh, so good times that you would have with her?

Or date the librarian where you know, where you stand with her?

Just a metaphor whilst your pondering the Brera or Boring choice

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My morning commute is about 30 miles, mixture of country roads and motorway ... Avg consumption is usually around 40/40+ ... but I'm not totally convinced by the display and would agree at a figure of more like 36/37 overall. Not done a brim to brim, but there's plenty on here who have.

Mine's unmodified as yet btw ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Look at it this way, if the 2 choice's was dating a stripper? Or dating a librarian? You know the stripper may cost you alot of cash to please, but think of the..... Oh, so good times that you would have with her?

Or date the librarian where you know, where you stand with her?

Just a metaphor whilst your pondering the Brera or Boring choice
Ha ha ... well said that man!!

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I think if someone's looking to be persuaded to buy an Alfa it's not really for them.
For the 2 I've owned as soon as the models came out I knew there and then that I'd be buying one at some point.
No question whatsoever in my mind :p.

1.9 TDI A3? Just saying it makes me want to go to sleep :rolleyes:.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Lussoman & Matty74, you probably both & i know, we didn't need to join a forum then start a thread asking an obvious question. Because we already had the answer to his question the OP ask's.
It's a no-brainer IMO
It was love at first sight, nothing else cares :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My morning commute is about 30 miles, mixture of country roads and motorway ... Avg consumption is usually around 40/40+ ... but I'm not totally convinced by the display and would agree at a figure of more like 36/37 overall. Not done a brim to brim, but there's plenty on here who have.

Mine's unmodified as yet btw ;)
Think I'm going to have to test drive one and make my mind up. Mid-30s is brilliant so will see.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i wouldnt budget 5k for a brera, probably be very rough for that money.
but then so would an a3?

why not look at golfs instead of the a3. basically the same car, but likely to get more for your money

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know there is the official MPG thread but as it's mentioned here I got bang on 50.0 MPG from my 2.4 on the first hour of my journey last night :eek:

It was boring as hell through the m6 roadworks at an average of 56mph and dropped down considerably once onto m40 but was still shocked to see it could be up that end if driven like a saint. OK so i know it overreads having a remap and brim to brim would be a couple less in reality but it still counts! Finished on 44MPG over 160 miles which i was more than happy with :D

Bringing back on topic, Alfas are v. reliable these days and are better for your core body strength than A3s... the number of times you'll twist back to have a look when you're walking out the carpark you'll have abs like a champ in no time ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts