Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Quick question, but I've noticed there is grime on the Brera Headlights on the Chrome'd plastic.. It's also slightly discoloured :eek:

What would be best to get rid of it? It's clear the previous owner had no care for this car inside or out!

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Some polish should do the trick with some added elbow grease :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one Dougie, I was tempted to use Cillit Bang... would have probably been booking in for a re-spray though on Tuesday :lol:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Get yourself some detailing clay, you’ll be amazed how much gunge it picks up even after the best cleaning job you can do.

The stuff’s like a lump of white plastacine and you just spay on some special lubricant then give it a steady wipe and it lifts out all the surface contamination that washing and polishing wont move. You end up with an absolutely glass smooth cold surface that looks as fresh as the day it came out of the showroom, then all you need is a good coat of wax to finish the job.

I’d never even heard of “claying” till I came on this forum, thought you just washed and polished a car and that's it. It takes about two hours to completely clay a Brera and another hour or so to do the wax but it only need doing about once a year.

K

·
0 Posts
Meguiars sell it in a box with their "Quick deatiler" spray here in Oz. Available at all automotive retailers. Assume it would be the same in GB.

I can vouch for clay. It does pick up a lot of gunk you wouldm't otherwise by washing and waxing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I couldn't find it in any of the local shops and ended up buying it online. There are loads of different ones to choose from but like Kalel, I just went for the Maguires Quick Detailer for about £15.

Your Brera's the same as mine so your probably seeing exactly the same effect where the silver has a slight tinge of yellow, almost like it's been parked in room full of heavy smokers. This dirty layer of contamination's actually stuck to the surface and no amount of normal cleaning takes it out. Also wiping your hand over the surface, you can actually feel (and hear) a distinct roughness.

As I'd never used this before, I tested it on the strip along the side of the roof glass. With just one wipe, the white clay turned a dirty brown and you could see bits of contaminants in it as well even though I’d just given it the best cleaning ever. The clay stuffs not abrasive so it doesn’t mark the paintwork and you can also use it on the glass and hard plastic surfaces.

I only used about a third of the lubricant and provided you seal the clay in something airtight, you should get a few years use out of it. Just watch you don’t drop the clay as you’ll end up with gritty dirt on it that could cause scratches.:thumbs:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give the clay a go, cheers guys.. Bill do you have a link from where you bought it from?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Bilt Hamber seems to be the clay of the moment as you only need water as a lube. Less than a tenner too. Go for the soft version.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They sell a clay kit a Halfrauds too. I think the original question was about the silver surrounds to the headlamps that become dirty (tarnished even). I have the same on my Spider - any advice for getting this off please? You can only see the dirty bit when the bonnet is up but it is then really noticeable.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As said earlier some polish and elbow grease will sort it.

BTW I got a Halfords clay bar kit today - £20 (lube, bar and a micro fibre cloth) but they are doing 3 for 2 on cleaning stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bill your right about the silver I'll give the clay a try.

For the lights, I've recently found out that a head on bump sorts the tarnishing out :mad:, as they get replaced with new ones, mine are now very shiny :) :) You just have to go without the car for six weeks :( so I don't recommend trying it.

While I'm on with lights, does any know how to adjust the xenon head lights on the Brera or 159 for driving abroad? I've read on other threads that theres a small lever in the rear of the lamp housing, but I can't find it, can anyone here help :confused: :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts