Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 210 bhp 2.4Jtd is due for replacement brakes although only 48k on the clock.
Could anyone recommend a make and source of discs and pads all round?
I would also like to have red calipers instead of the boring grey ones at present. Are red covers available or would they have to be painted?
Thanks in anticipation of floods of advice.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I quite like the BOSCH discs from ebay with EBC redstuff.

I have had both the Autolusso recommended Performance Friction and DS2500 but prefer the Redstuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive? Fast, Winston Wolf fast lol.
Fluid will be changed.
I don't want to spend a lot but I want upgraded braking.
Anyone got an answer to the red caliper question?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Red brake covers are available btw
Are you looking at those very silly Brembo shaped covers that glue on to std (ie not Brembo) brake calipers...?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
As mentioned, if you want red calipers you should paint them. It is really simple and plenty of guides or online videos to give you a bit of guidance. The covers look cheap and tatty if they even fit.
For discs and pads, it really depends on your budget. I personally go for standard discs and performance pads because im too tight to buy fancy discs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As mentioned, if you want red calipers you should paint them. It is really simple and plenty of guides or online videos to give you a bit of guidance. The covers look cheap and tatty if they even fit.
For discs and pads, it really depends on your budget. I personally go for standard discs and performance pads because im too tight to buy fancy discs.
Thanks to you for the sensible advice delivered in a decent manner.
I haven't been on this forum for a long while and I have remembered why now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm about to change my front disks and pads and will fit Mintex as I had great results with this type on my previous 156 that used to eat the standard Alfa disks before the pads wore out (very strange state of affairs). Once the Mintex disks and pads were installed the excessive wear became managable. I have just been quoted just under £60 per disk and £32 for the pad set via my local motor factor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anybody got information on the amount of brake dust produced by various brands? Is it true that performance pads tend to produce more dust?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Performance Pads should mean that the material can take more heat. The downside is that they need more heat to work to the same effect as normal pads. That's why you see race cars warming the brakes on the way to the grid.

So before you fit them you need to know what the performance parameter is.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Is it true that performance pads tend to produce more dust?
Depends on the pad.
Some do, some don't.
How bad also depends on the type of dust produced.
My original factory fitted 156 pads produced a MASSIVE amount of black dust.... I'd arrive at work on a Monday morning with the front wheels coated in thick black dust after washing the car on a Sunday...:furious:
DS2500 despite having much higher performance, produced very little dust and the small amount they did produce was light in colour. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts