Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks

Anyone replaced the boot lock mechanism? I'm guessing it is a simple job but before I attempt it, I was hoping someone has gone before me and made all the mistakes...

Mine would occasionally stop working and I'd check the connections, clean around the unit, bit of WD40 etc but it has finally given up the ghost. I've changed the fuse just in case but it is still not working (click when sitting in driver seat suggests the signal is going from the fob to the unit) so guessing the lock electronics or motor has gone.

Rather than go to my reasonably priced indy (yet), I have sourced a part from a breaker (I can't find a new part at the mo).

It looks like it is a case of unplugging the electrics, screwing the old unit out and inserting the 'new' one and repeat in reverse.

Thoughts? Anyone else done this? Anyone know of a new part stockist?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
You sure it's knackered and not just sticking?
Not sure if it's anything remotely like my Spider's boot lock which has an occasional sticking metal tab - I started a recent thread on it, but the lack of contributions suggests I'm on my own with that particular problem!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it isn't sticking - closes cleanly and when you use the manual tab on it from inside the boot (a right PITA) it pops open easily too. Think the motor has gone. Well I hope it is that simple...

·
Registered
62 Posts
No it isn't sticking - closes cleanly and when you use the manual tab on it from inside the boot (a right PITA) it pops open easily too. Think the motor has gone. Well I hope it is that simple...
Hi Poodler78,

Am currently incurring the exact issue, clicking can be heard from fuse box, fuse not broken though changed anyway. Push button and key register as lights flashing though doesn't open the boot. Found the manual boot release though it is an inconvenience.

Did you manage to resolve the problem?

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and No. :irked:

Firstly, found that Alfa Romeo will not sell you the boot lock without the whole wiring rig - £160 ex VAT! Boot lock at a breaker was £35 so went with that option. Indy confirmed that boot lock mechanisms can be damaged by water ingress - you know the way it pools and drips on you when it has rained? Well that can work its way in apparently so was worth a punt.

My indy switched it out as I waited and guess what? Still not working properly. So that suggested (assuming breaker lock mechanism was working) that it may have not been my lock. My lock went back on and he used his laptop to clear an error code and pop boot open from it. Worked no problem. Used button in centre console - failed. Code popped up on laptop again (saying boot open when not). Cleared. Used the key fob and opened. Tried again, opened. And again, nope. Centre console, nope.

Opened with laptop and a bit more experimenting and we realised that the centre console was sending an error code about 1 press in 5, but would never open at all. Using the fob after the centre console failed wouldn't work - even when the lights blinked, signal was being sent etc.

So we put in the breaker lock. Every time with laptop and key fob it opened, but again centre console wouldn't and would 'lock out' the fob too. The breaker lock would work every time with key fob, but weirdly the internal boot light would not work now.

Checked wiring yet again but all connections fine and no obvious breaks. Reckoned it is something software related and is only triggered from the centre console button, but there is no other error code to work this out 100%. Indy is an ex AR master tech so if he doesn't know, I think I'll just have to work with the 'work around'.

So to summarise, see if your error codes can be cleared and then use key fob only, not the centre console button. if this works for you, tape up the centre console button! If not, maybe worth trying another lock just in case it is your mechanism? And then still avoid the centre button.

We also decided to take the precaution to always unlock the car before unlocking the boot with the fob (now if you don't, the alarm goes off).

Isn't 100% ideal, but hasn't failed once since so it's a pragmatic solution.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Does the independent boot option in the stalk menu have any effect on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts