Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - will the Brera fit a bike in the boot with the seats laid flat? How about two...?? Please say yes - we need to replace my wife's 2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe & I'm desperate for it to be an Alfa of some description. She's a v keen biker & it brings tears to my eyes watching sharp pedals & an oily chain get close to very expensive German leather (boot is too small, so in the back it goes).

I'm also scratching my chin over the 159 1750TBi Sportwagon - and great engine though it is it sounds like a Zanussi apparently. But it is darned practical, fast & looks great. But it IS an Estate.....maybe I've reached That Time In My Life.... gulp.

I won't repeat what I said when she asked if it would fit in my GTV V6 3.0.... :censored:

Here's hoping it's a definite :thumbup: to the Brera's boot. Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Got mine in my GTV as well.
It'll also fit in the cabin of a Spider with the bike's front wheel & seat removed. Just.
Highly practical cars :biglaugh:.
Only one bike mind, and no room for a passenger.
A Brera should be no problem - it's a hatchback.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends what sort of bikes you're talking about.

I can fit a road bike in my Brera with both seats folded flat but I also take the front wheel off. There is, however, one drawback in that with the rear seat behind the driver folded, the driver's seat won't slide back into my usual driving position so I have to sit further forward.

I haven't ever tried 2 bikes, but I imagine you'd have to take all 4 wheels off and stack everything up carefully!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As long as you have quick release wheels it's an easy job, I often have two bikes in my Brera, road or mountain.
Remember, the Brera has plenty of room in the front and a good sized boot, it 's just lacking in rear seat leg room.

Reactions: barners

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd recommend you try it out first if you have to carry inside. Remember that road bikes are hugely shorter than mountain bikes (especially full suspension ones). I have use a Saris Bones rack in the past which is relatively painless to fit and remove with no damage to the vehicle. Check out the Saris website to see if it fits the Brera.

·
Registered
625 Posts
why not getting some Brompton or similar foldable bikes?

outside no change in optics of the Brera, inside (if you really must) bicycles.

no racks, no towing bar mounted options, no BS

if I could loose 20kg of my weight, would be definitely buying myself one of those

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
why not getting some Brompton or similar foldable bikes?

outside no change in optics of the Brera, inside (if you really must) bicycles.

no racks, no towing bar mounted options, no BS

if I could loose 20kg of my weight, would be definitely buying myself one of those
The problem with those bikes is that they look absolutely crap and are no good if mountain biking's your thang.
Okay for the commuter but that's about it.

Reactions: pedalaro

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Bike in Brera is no problem, but I always remove both wheels.
Removing the rear sounds like a right PITA, I'd manage without doing that I'm sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the tips. Never thought about a bike rack for the back of the GTV .. but my missus needs a "practical" car anyway so going down the Brera route hopefully. Went to have a quick look at a 2.4JTD today at Sale, amazed by how big the boot is with seats flat. Good news!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
The problem with those bikes is that they look absolutely crap and are no good if mountain biking's your thang.
Okay for the commuter but that's about it.
there are also foldable mountain bike solutions from Dahon etc

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
there are also foldable mountain bike solutions from Dahon etc
Not really, they're still aimed at the commuter.
No good for the serious biker.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, like lussoman says forget the folding bike, my other half is a serious biker. Has three of the things.... together they're worth almost as much as my GTV......:alien:

Still, you've all convinced me that one & poss two bikes will fit in the Brera boot. Brill!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Possibly. I have my rear seats permanently folded down and not only does it give me massive space to horde but rear visibility is much improved without rear headrests.

Can go one step further with taking out parcel shelf too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts