Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Picked up a 2.2 Brera on Sunday, gorgeous car. Bit worried today however- not sure if any of you veterans can help me out here?

Been away working for the last few days, and just got back today and thought I'd check all the fluid levels- cannot seem to work out how to raise the bonnet, however. Release handle in the drivers footwell seems fine, and have found a plastic lever where I would expect too (roughly under the front badge). Despite pulling, pushing, lifting, sliding etc it will not seem to want to let me raise the bonnet; it's especially irritating as the guy I bought it from seemed to be able to do this with a minimum of drama... :(

I'm the first too admit I'm pretty lame with anything to do with cars beyond driving them, but I've never had this with a motor before- I'm a little nervous about trying to give the plastic lever under the bonnet any more stick as it does not seem that sturdy, to be honest. I have found an old post here on the Forum, but it simply consists of a question very similar to what I'm asking here and a single answer of quite general ''try wiggling it around and move the bonnet up and down a bit'' type advice (as mentioned, I feel I have done this and already feel as if I'm being a bit rough on the front end lever).

Anyone encountered this before? Apologies if this is a real no-brainer, but I would be DELIGHTED if I could possibly avoid involving my poor old, long suffering mechanic!!

Thanks for any help, folks.... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The plastic handle outside under the bonnet allows you to release a hook that holds the bonnet down, so it helps if you push the bonnet down slightly while pulling the lever.

Having got the thing open it can be a challenge to get it to close properly; the mechanism needs to be cleaned and greased fairly regularly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for your help.

I did not realise it was quite such 'a thing' as this; I've only ever had a couple of 147's in the way of previous Alfa's, and they are remarkably conventional. Will give this a whirl tomorrow morning (standby for more anguished, pathetic cries for help by lunchtime I imagine...). One thing that struck me was how delicate the external plastic lever seemed to be- plenty of scope for tears there, I'm sure!

I'm rather intrigued by this 2.2 JTS engine...

Thank you all once again. Take care :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts