Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I connected the battery terminals in the wrong order and now the car won't start, I have a multimeter I was wondering would that be enough to start diagnosing the problems? I have very little knowledge with electrics but am willing to learn! I was wondering where should I start?

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You could be looking at serious issues with the CANbus now. I’d seek professional advice, and prey it’s not fubared your ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
He’s placed the jump leads on the wrong terminals. That’s the way I’m reading it anyway. Doesn’t really make much difference if the negative goes on last if they are placed on the right terminals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
That's what I thought.....just not how it was written!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, let me explain!

I didn't try jump-start the car, I charged up the battery using a trickle charger as it had gone flat, as the car had been sitting for 2 months! It then had no problem starting up, but then I disconnected the battery to do some work on the car then when I reconnected the battery the car wouldn't turn on. I then tried to charge the battery and put it back in but the car wouldn't turn on.

I think I connected the negative terminal first (I read somewhere I should connect the positive terminal first or else I might short something).

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Connecting the negative terminal first shouldn't cause a none starting car.
It is just a good practice to connect the positive terminal first and then the negative terminal.
Do you have any sign of life when you enter the key in the keyslot?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Check the terminals make sure they are clean,tight and making a good connection.
Also check the earth points from battery to body

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

Thanks for your input, I got a multimeter and tested the battery it was indeed very dead! I bought a new one and now there are no problems!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts