Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting rid of my beloved 156 Sportswagon as its starting to cost in repairs and torn between 159 Sportwagon - practicle and fantastic looking or maybe a Brera as I only use two seats most of the time. Can you get roof bars/cycle rack to fit Brera - might help make the decision!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There seems to be a distinct lack of 'luggage' accessories for the Brera - probably due to its relative scarcity and glass roof.

The best I found was a suction type rack or a tow bar mounted rack. Both were generic rather than Brera tailored products.

If its only for occasional bike transport, with the seats down, the boot will easily swallow a couple of bikes with the wheels off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmmmm, thought as much! Would be only occasional use so maybe something on the back - wouldn't want to break the glass roof:eek:
Brera's generaly seem to have less miles on clock than Sportwagons second hand and in simular price range so thats another factor to consider

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hate to say it but detachable tow bar and hitch mounted bike rack is the way I'd go to keep the lines clean !

Paul

·
Registered
286 Posts
Saris Bones bike rack fits over the massive Aero spoiler on GTV's. I doubt you could go wrong with one of them. They look much cooler than other racks too!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Hate to say it but detachable tow bar and hitch mounted bike rack is the way I'd go to keep the lines clean !

Paul
If I were keeping my lines clean, I would certainly not stick a tow bar on.

As for sticking bikes inside, be careful. To lower back seats the front seats will have to be moved forward. If you move them too far forward, you might end up in an impossibly uncomfortable driving position.

There must be some sort of rack out there that will clamp on to hatch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What to do? Just read some horrendous reports about poor fuel consumption, heavy tyre wear and engine problems on JTD Brera but seams stupid to spend nearly as much as cars worth on repairs to current Sportwagon even though with the exception of regular front suspension component amd auxilary belt problems its been completely reliable. Sure ther must be some kind of carrier that will fit the Brera - towbar ewwwww!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tow bar

If I were keeping my lines clean, I would certainly not stick a tow bar on.

As for sticking bikes inside, be careful. To lower back seats the front seats will have to be moved forward. If you move them too far forward, you might end up in an impossibly uncomfortable driving position.

There must be some sort of rack out there that will clamp on to hatch.

That's why I said detachable towbar , you can't see it when not in use , colour coded cover and the bikes don't touch the car

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have a bike rack that straps onto the boot lid of my Brera and it works like a charm even with 3 bikes and the odd angle of the boot lid.
Something like this one: 2 3 Bike Bicycle Carrier Rear CAR Rack Universal Fitting Mounted Cycling NEW | eBay
And for those in the UK to avoid it defaulting to large postage costs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3-Bike-Bicycle-Carrier-Rear-Car-Rack-Universal-Fitting-Mounted-Cycling-NEW-/380427650815

Nice find/price. The Saris looks great, but is obviously a lot more costly. This seems a better buy for the rare use I may make of one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yep the saris looks as good as a bike rack possibly can. They last forever too, but you do end up paying for it. Having said that I have had cheaper option above for 5 years now...

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
If you don't need the seats, get the Brera. Then get the Saris, or a conventional bike rack (I had one), or a detachable tow bar mount. You won't use it that often so it's not that big a deal!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Anyone got a picture of a bike rack on a Brera?
Just wondering if it's possible on a Spider too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts