Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I recently crashed my Brera 2.2 :cry:. I'm not sure where to go from here, the damage is to severe to repair it at a certified Alfa dealer and i'm undecided where to go from here. I have 3 options as i see it. Firstly i could repair it at home as and when i have the money, secondly i could get a non-certified mechanic to repair it and thirdly i could just cut my losses and write it off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
First thing is that you are OK :)
As for the car it sounds to me like it would (in the UK) be a category write-off. Now I own a CAT D Alfa GT, my pal owns what is a CAT C Ferrari F355. The Ferrari is a concourse winner and absolutely immaculate. My GT would never win any prizes but does look good.
Damage to my GT was bumper and wing I believe. Damage to my mate's Ferrari was.. well the only recognisable part on the car was the roof.

My point (and it may well not apply in SA) is with mine and my pal's car is that we bought them as repaired write-offs and as such paid a much lower price. My pal paid a fraction of the cost at the time for his F355. It is now worth a considerably lot more but still way below an F355 in that condition w/o a CAT C. You will have paid for a none write-off car but only ever sell it as a repaired car.

All of this does not matter if you keep the car until it's natural end of life but if not.
In the UK unless the car was a classic then I might well just let it it go.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply. I must admit i'm torn, the Brera sold in such few numbers in SA and they are really sought after, and subsequently spares are hard to come by and are only available through dealers at ridiculous prices. If i do decide to keep "her" i was thinking to really go full out in terms of modifications and make it one of a kind: carbon fiber body panels, upgraded engine etc. Or is this just a silly pipe dream?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Wow. Where would you get CF panels? You are going to have to get them specially made and I doubt it would be cheap?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts