Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't been sleeping nigths and nights comparing this two!!! they both are super!!! but i can't have them both :( i have to choose!!!

in one hand it's black or titanio silver 159 sportwagon - probably the best car in it's class!! Handles great, looks great, and even has one of the largest interior room in it's class... much better than 3-series, imho!!
on the other hand it's red Brera!!! Sexy, gorgeous, a dream wich can come true but... it's the worst car in it's class!!! :( just look at theis video Youtube It looks better even than Ferraris, but handles and performs just like LADA :cry: There are some new items in Autodelta shop: new sporty suspension and ECU re-map wich gives 30 Nm of tourque and 15 hpower, but i dont think it's enough to reach the likes of TT, Z4 and Z350 :(

What do you think??? If you were me what would you choose???
btw, it would be my first Alfa, i dont wanna be dissapointed....:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, the Brera ain't no sports car, more of a Grand Tourer certainly. I'd say that you'd be happy with either but if you ever need more than one passenger it would need to be the 159 - those rear seats in the Brera are unlikely to see much (or indeed, any) use!

If you're a tall chappie (over 5'10'') you might have an issue with headroom in the Brera due to the Skyview; some do, some don't. :confused:

The only other thing that could sway it for you are the option differences, such as interiors, front parking sensors (159 only), stuff like that.

Happy choosin' :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brera will not reach TT, Z4 and Z350 - beacause its TOO HEAVY!

Better spend the money un Alfa SZ/RZ, wich costs a little less /the same , but is one of the best handling cars in the world! ;)

And its a collection ar - the value will never fall.

BUT if you are asking souch a question, beter choose 159

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
on the other hand it's red Brera!!! Sexy, gorgeous, a dream wich can come true but... it's the worst car in it's class!!!
Who says :confused: ... I picked the Brera over everything else out there on the market !! (And I had the choice of getting whatever I wanted)
it would be my first Alfa, i dont wanna be dissapointed....:)
It's my first Alfa & I'm not.... and nor will you be !! ;)
Well, the Brera ain't no sports car, more of a Grand Tourer certainly. I'd say that you'd be happy with either but if you ever need more than one passenger it would need to be the 159 - those rear seats in the Brera are unlikely to see much (or indeed, any) use!
What he said !! :D
If you're a tall chappie (over 5'10'') you might have an issue with headroom in the Brera due to the Skyview; some do, some don't.
6' 2" here and no problems !! ;)
Happy choosin'
What he said !! :D

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
If you sit in driver’s seat and look forward, you can’t distinguish Brera from 159. Actually you can look on 159 as on a Brera with proper rear seats and a boot :).

If you judge by the looks only, your driving expectations can be higher by Brera than by 159. As the cars are virtually the same, there is a good chance 159 would impress you more as you don’t expect it to be such a good drive :)

If Brera was faster, you could say you sacrifice practicality and get a sportier car, but you just get different looks of the rear.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
they seem very different cars to me, despite their related origins.

the major difference is surely practicality. do you need larger carrying capacity, of either luggage or passengers? do you want to use roof bars (i presume the brera does not cater for them, like the GT)?

if they are not issues, then i think it boils down to the philosophy behind each model: sporting wagon vs stylish sporting coupe.

and if you want something inbetween, look at the GT! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU ALL for your comments and advises ;)!!!!!

If you're a tall chappie (over 5'10'') you might have an issue with headroom in the Brera due to the Skyview; some do, some don't.
6' 2" here and no problems !!
i'm 6' 2" too, but i cant find a Brera without Sky View
Originally Posted by alfarmus
80% i drive alone, 16% with a passenger, 2% with 2 passenger, 2% i dont drive at all :) Anyway i can take Mom's Mitsubishi Outlander if i need to carry 2-3 passengers or go skiing
That's the point, i hate the idea that i would be slower than that german garbage

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who says ... I picked the Brera over everything else out there on the market !! (And I had the choice of getting whatever I wanted)
I would buy BRERA GTA then ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you judge by the looks only, your driving expectations can be higher by Brera than by 159. As the cars are virtually the same, there is a good chance 159 would impress you more as you don’t expect it to be such a good drive :)
U r right!!! Expect much more from Brera than 159 as it is coupe'... but the gap isnt that big, that's why i say 159 is best handling in it's class and Brera is worst handling...

the major difference is surely practicality. do you need larger carrying capacity, of either luggage or passengers? do you want to use roof bars (i presume the brera does not cater for them, like the GT)?
i have second car - Mitsubishi Outlander with roof bars

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and if you want something inbetween, look at the GT!
Honestly i still find Alfa GT as best looking car!!! but i'm affraid of it's reliability and quality!!! As i said I live were Aflas dont live (Kazakhstan), the closest Alfa shop is in Moscow (or via internet), noone to help if find myself broke down on alfa, so i try to protect myself from this ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw, I HAVE NEVER SEEN NIETHER BRERA OR 159sw IN REALITY!!!!
Are they really that beautiful????? :D

What about re-map??? do i have to go to London to do this or they will send me by mail a chip???

·
Registered
495 Posts
Given the Outlander (ie: no need of an SW ;) ), I would definately go for the Brera :cool: From whatever angle you look at it, it's looks are stunning :)
(and yes, not the fastest on paper, but who cares ?? The driver makes up for a great deal of the real-world speed ;) If yo really want the speed buy a second hand 156GTA, put a coil-over suspension under it and an LSD, and you will be much faster then the Brera)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
it may not be the quickest, but to many, many people it is quick enough. there is always a faster car out there, so you never win!

for many alfa owners, if we wanted a faster, better handling car, we would probably look at other brands. i would have bought a Z350 or Subaru WRX STi if i wanted better handling and performance. BUT I DIDN'T! i love the GT, and alfa's, cos they still perform within my expectations, AND they have soul! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Chingashow said:
Are they really that beautiful????
Yes :D

Go for the Brera, get the Autodelta boys to fix it up for you and smile all the way :D

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yes :D
Go for the Brera, get the Autodelta boys to fix it up for you and smile all the way :D
What BF said !! :D
And if you want parts.... I know for a fact that there are a few of your countrymen working very near Autodelta who could bring them back for you !! ;)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Buy a phase 2 3.0 GTV - you know it makes sense :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Normally you would send your ecu by courier to the tuning company and they would return by courier after remapping.

Cheers,
TB

Are they really that beautiful????? :D

What about re-map??? do i have to go to London to do this or they will send me by mail a chip???

N

·
0 Posts
From your usage I'd say the Brera is
a practical car to have.

It's no SW, but the boot space is better
than say; a 147.

Although it's not as "hot" as it should be,
it is a very capable cruiser. And Autodelta'ing
is always an option.

I have zero regrets after nearly 1 year of
owning one.
;)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
it may not be the quickest, but to many, many people it is quick enough. there is always a faster car out there, so you never win!

for many alfa owners, if we wanted a faster, better handling car, we would probably look at other brands. i would have bought a Z350 or Subaru WRX STi if i wanted better handling and performance. BUT I DIDN'T! i love the GT, and alfa's, cos they still perform within my expectations, AND they have soul! :cool:
Wey-hey - at last someone that gets the whole Alfa thing says it. Too much criticism on alfaowner about the Brera and 159. They're not the quickest or best handling (on a track) - so what.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts