Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys,

I posted a thread up a few weeks back saying I had a few niggles with my new 3.2 V6 Brera and asked if anyone else has encountered them.

Now the niggles have developed into full-scale problems and the list has grown, so the car is booked into another dealer for them to be investigated.

The problems are:

Engine sounding "tappy" at idle
Engine/dashboard area rattling at idle rpm to 2700rpm when warm
I've topped up the engine coolant system 3 times in 8 weeks
Drivers seat rocking and base squeking
Rear suspension squeking and top mounts "thudding"
Radio reception very poor on all frequencies
Windscreen washing system not functioning

Has anyone else encountered these problems or know of them?

I have owned the car for 8 weeks now (put 900 miles on it) and it is 9weeks since its first 18000 mile service. The car is under the Alfa "3rd Year Warranty" terms which means the dealer will charge an "investigation fee" to look at the problems. As I'm not very happy with having to pay out this labour charge I've instructed the dealer I bought the car from to pay the bill... I'm waiting for the Manager to call me back!

Any feedback or guidance would be much appreciated. I'll let you know what happens when the car goes in next Thursday.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
What garage did you get it from? Is it a Q tronic?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey again guys,
I posted a thread up a few weeks back saying I had a few niggles with my new 3.2 V6 Brera and asked if anyone else has encountered them.
Hi Fluke,

I have a late '06 V6 Brera so some things will obviously have changed in the build over the last two years, anyway answers in-line:

Nope, engine has always run beautifully :thumbs:
Nope, although the roof roller blind assembly did rattle quite badly over bumps, etc. - Sorted by the dealer. :)
Never had to top-up coolant between services, which tend to be annual rather than at 18k miles (I do about 12k p.a.) :)
I didn't get the rocking but the squeaking is quite common :( (if you search the forum you'll find it quite easily). Again, resolved by dealer (at the same time as they did the blind in fact!) ;)
Under what conditions?
Yep, another known problem. :rolleyes: The head unit is a little 'deaf' but also the dealer found that the connections hadn't been that great either. Again, they were able to greatly improve reception just by sorting out the antenna connections, although there is still some minor interference from the rear wiper on some stations.
Never had that, that's a road worthiness issue! :wow: If the windscreen washers don't work, your car is not legal and you could be prosecuted if ever stopped. Take it back to the dealer immediately!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Hey again guys,

Now the niggles have developed into full-scale problems and the list has grown, so the car is booked into another dealer for them to be investigated.

The problems are:

Due to the transverse mounting of the V6, the bank of cylinders nearest the driver sounds loudest and causes an 'uneven' sound. This is characteristic of V engines.
No
You seem to have a leak
This is a know faukt and dealer will fix
No
No - but rear wiper interferes somtimes
Have you topped it up recently - there is no warning light

I have owned the car for 8 weeks now (put 900 miles on it) and it is 9weeks since its first 18000 mile service. The car is under the Alfa "3rd Year Warranty" terms which means the dealer will charge an "investigation fee" to look at the problems. As I'm not very happy with having to pay out this labour charge I've instructed the dealer I bought the car from to pay the bill... I'm waiting for the Manager to call me back!

Any feedback or guidance would be much appreciated. I'll let you know what happens when the car goes in next Thursday.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tested the windscreen washer pump and there is a good voltage to the pump and continuuity in all the associated wiring. The pump isn't running so I presume the pump is U/S. Oh, and there is plenty of fluid in it...

The thudding noise happens when I go over big bumps/pot holes and it sounds like it comes from the top mounts of the rear suspension, from behind the cabin panles near the rear seats. The squeking happens nearly all the time, it's as if the bushes are worn or there is a mouse stuck in one of the struts!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The thudding noise happens when I go over big bumps/pot holes and it sounds like it comes from the top mounts of the rear suspension, from behind the cabin panles near the rear seats. The squeking happens nearly all the time, it's as if the bushes are worn or there is a mouse stuck in one of the struts!

I had this - it's the exhaust knocking on the underneath of the chassis. It was quickly fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have the same problem with a coolant leak. the alfa guys say its coming from the header tank and to fix it will cost 800 pound as the dash has to come out and ther DOOR has to come off? can you believe it? its a 3.2V6 by the way has any1 had these problems? where is this bleed valve mentioned situated?!? also the car was bought brand new from motorpoint in derby 13 months ago and alfa are saying i will have to pay for the work!!! as warrenty is one year only.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gents

I'm looking at trading in my GT 1.9Jtdm Q2 for a V6 3.2 Brera. The Brera is an '06. This thread isn't inspiring me, can I ask if any other 3.2V6 owners get grief from their cars?:confused: My GT is solid bar the squeaking driver seat!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i have the same problem with a coolant leak. the alfa guys say its coming from the header tank and to fix it will cost 800 pound as the dash has to come out and ther DOOR has to come off? can you believe it? its a 3.2V6 by the way has any1 had these problems? where is this bleed valve mentioned situated?!? also the car was bought brand new from motorpoint in derby 13 months ago and alfa are saying i will have to pay for the work!!! as warrenty is one year only.
If Motorpoint cars are genuinely new, usually Alfa cover them for 24 months, but I advise people to get it into the system before year one to get this confirmed.

I know lots of people who have had 24 months honoured on paralell imports.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going to write a full post soon but my 159 3.2 has been in the garage 14 times in 13 months !!!! It has currently been there nearly two weeks !!!

The thing that really annoys me is that the dealer never has any spare parts in stock and it often takes weeks to get parts (then they are often wrong when they get here).

I have ongoing case/complaint with Alfa customer care. I've got fed up with the car and want out now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the rocking driver seat problem. Have only had the car for 2 days now so had not had a chance to investigate this yet. The car is going back to Mango's soon anyway to have other stuff looked at. All part of the Alfa Romeo Character building programme.....:D

Stuart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have had some of the problems and might be able to help. My windscreen washers stopped working and it was the fuse and the pump that needed replacing. A bracet underneath the engine came loose and provided me with a heart racingly scary metallic rattle at 2000 rpm, louder on the down from 3000 rpm through 2000. Both simple fixes, I have a brera 3.2 v6 sv q4. Oh and the bracet under the seat had to be replaced because of the rocking issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I experienced the rocking driver seat issue with my 07 Q4, where the seat base was replaced under the Alfa 3rd year warranty. The dealer (Perry's Amersham) fixed it without charging any investigation fee - very happy with the service. The engine always sounded "Tappety" at idle and the dealer confirmed that it is "normal". It did sound a lot better on the move though.

A

·
0 Posts
I also have the 3.2 Q4 Q-Tronic 2010 version and so far I am still running in the engine sticking below well 4000rpm but using that as a max.

So far I have had zero issues and none that alot of people on this thread seem to be having but I must add that here in Japan, the Alfa dealers are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more professional and adept. The only issue that I have had thus far were the lower CF Centre console surrounding the Auto gear shifter was a millimeter away from the leather surround, so they ordered another one and that was it.

I have the 3 year warranty or 100,000 km.

But I have only had the car for just on one month now and I have already done 1600km averaging about 6/10Km/L city driving in any gear below 2000rpm if keeping things all sane and about 10-13Km/L but that all DRASTICALLY drops if I even push the pedal down a smidgeon.

Ive not had to replace ANY of the fluids and this was confirmed when I had my first service with all fluids replaced and no probs in that area.

I have had samples taken out from the tranny as well as the engine from the first liter taken our during the change over to be taken and sent to Blackstone labs to measure the wear rates as well as to fine what would be the best oil to use after initial break in period.

All electrics work as they should with no issues related to squeaks, sqiggles, wipers or anything...touch wood. Which is a far cry from the previous Brera I must say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts