Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a timing chain kit and oil pump for the brera, on the advice of others, I am going to remove the engine.
Whilst the engine is out, what else should I replace. Will do a clutch and water pump as well but are there any seals that are known to give problems, Subframe is OK but will give that a new coat of paint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Vespasian,

Did you do this yourself? I'm facing the same possibility as I've just been quoted 8,000 Euros (I'm in Vienna) for a chain kit replacement. I've found a kit for 800 Euros

Cheers,

Roop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Vespasian, do you have to remove the engine...I though this could be done with the engine in situ?
Also where did you both get the kit from...have you considered the MACE kit you can get from ébay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Vespasian, do you have to remove the engine...I though this could be done with the engine in situ?
Also where did you both get the kit from...have you considered the MACE kit you can get from ébay?
It's really not that big of a job to remove and it makes life so much easier
Crankshaft pulley can be a nightmare to remove sometimes and for lining up the marks for the chains it's just so much easier.
Get it up on stands at the front you will also need a engine crane
Remove the front of car bumper front panel lights radiator
Remove inlet manifold disconnect fuel pipes battery/tray exhaust down pipes front and back
Underneath driveshafts engine and gearbox stabilisers
Engine has its own wiring loom which can disconnected from the fuse box in the engine bay
Maybe some other little things to do but your basically ready to remove engine and box
You'll need to support the engine to get driver side engine mount off, get it all slinged up and remove gearbox mount and out she comes
3 hours max and lets you do other jobs easily when it's out
This is a ruff guide for 2 wheel drive cars, if your handy with the spanners get stuck in
Cheers Lee

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no need to remove the engine to do the chains, support the sump and then remove aux belt, plenhem chamber, cam covers etc, power steering pump, water pump etc, you don't need to disconnect power steering pump just undo and move. Remove everything on the timing cover including all solenoids. Undo the timing cover and remove, it's needs a good tug. Chains are exposed. Remove, refit with timing marks. I have a guide you can use and then just refit in reverse. It sounds alot worse than it is. The q4 v6 brera was the first timing chain I've done. Just take time and take photos of what goes where. If you can twiddle spanners you can do this. Hardest part I found was the timing cover getting it back on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Need to remove top engine mount as well
My 3.2 is a 2006. I understand there was a redesign of the chains a few years later. Does anyone know if the MACE kit: "https://alfa-muukkonen.vilkasstore.com/Timing-chain-kit-Alfa-159-Brera-Spider-32-JTS-V6-24V" is compatible with all 3.2 JTS's ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Vespasian,

You are talking about a guide. Is there any pdf available?

My 159 TI sw 3.2Jts timing chain need to be replaced and i can't afford to pay 4k€+ to make it done by Alfa.
I'm thinking about doing it by myself but it's an ambitious project considering my knowledge / equipment.
Otherwise she will go in spare parts

Thank you in advance,
Sébastien

·
Registered
96 Posts
SebRo / megeszlek,

You don't need a guide / PDF / etc.

What Vespasian says is enough "There is no need to remove the engine to do the chains, support the sump and then remove aux belt, plenhem chamber, cam covers etc, power steering pump, water pump etc, you don't need to disconnect power steering pump just undo and move. Remove everything on the timing cover including all solenoids. Undo the timing cover and remove, it's needs a good tug. Chains are exposed. Remove, refit with timing marks. I have a guide you can use and then just refit in reverse. It sounds alot worse than it is. The q4 v6 brera was the first timing chain I've done. Just take time and take photos of what goes where. If you can twiddle spanners you can do this. Hardest part I found was the timing cover getting it back on."

Takes a few hours but it's really doable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys,

Does anyone have the EN 46105-1 and 2 alignment tools for sale or lend? I've ordered the kit from MACE AU, told the guys to send the tools as well, but haven't noticed they've left it out from the order...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,

Does anyone have the EN 46105-1 and 2 alignment tools for sale or lend? I've ordered the kit from MACE AU, told the guys to send the tools as well, but haven't noticed they've left it out from the order...
I did not use any special tools, only a crank puller and impact gun to remove crank bolt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

Have you got any advice to remove crackshaft bolt ?
I have tried with impact gun anti clockwise (supposed 520Nm), WD40 and nothing moves :grumpy:

Thanks in advance
Seb

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys,

Have you got any advice to remove crackshaft bolt ?
I have tried with impact gun anti clockwise (supposed 520Nm), WD40 and nothing moves :grumpy:

Thanks in advance
Seb
I put a bar between the spokes of the pulley and the engine and used a breaker bar with a socket - worked for me ...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
It would take one hell of an impact gun to overcome 520nm!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

Is there enough space to remove solenoids on back side ?
I bought new ones and am worried about their lengths.

Thanks in avance,
Sébastien

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,

Is there enough space to remove solenoids on back side ?
I bought new ones and am worried about their lengths.

Thanks in avance,
Sébastien
I had to remove engine mount to allow movement of the engine for the solenoid closest to firewall. The other can be withdrawn on a slight angle. This is on a 159, can't imagine there is any difference with Brera.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts