Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well had my Brera for a couple of months now.. noticed the oil gauge in the car is at half full. Although I don't really trust that! :) On checking down to around half on the dipstick.

I've done around 2K since I got her - for owners of the 3.2 what is your oil consumption like? I know I used to have to check the oil regularly on the 1.8 TS engine I had and to a degree on the V6 Busso engine but not sure about the GM V6?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Apparently, these engines can consume 1/4 of a litre every 1.5k ( Miles ) mine doesn’t require any top-ups.
I’ve not driven my Q4 3.2 since November. So I can’t really help that much on an up to date experience.
I use to drive 3-4K each year. I just change the oil and filter every March. I also use 6 litres of oil and the most expensive filter I can find which seems to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Apparently, these engines can consume 1/4 of a litre every 1.5k ( Miles ) mine doesn’t require any top-ups.
I’ve not driven my Q4 3.2 since November. So I can’t really help that much on an up to date experience.
I use to drive 3-4K each year. I just change the oil and filter every March. I also use 6 litres of oil and the most expensive filter I can find which seems to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great thank you. Looking through the manual it needs 5W/40 - fully or partially synthetic? Doesn't really go into any more detail? :) Given the engine expect it will be fully synthetic....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oil consumption is a weird thing. Usually an engine will consume more engine during run in (the first 10k km) and should be treated nicely.

After that the engine should not consume a large amount of oil. This differs per engine.
The oil consumption numbers specified by the manufacturer are usually numbers that say: if its higher than this, it needs a rebuild or its leaking.
If its lower, that's normal.

My 1750tbi consumes no oil at all between services (less than 250ml per 15kkm).
For more sportier engine like the V6 you shouldn't worry if it consumes less than 1l per 10000km
If it uses that 250ml/1.5kmiles mentioned by Clay19 tis a good idea to investigate.

My manual goes into a lot of detail, maybe you're on the wrong page?
See the attached PNG (or this link)

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oil consumption is a weird thing. Usually an engine will consume more engine during run in (the first 10k km) and should be treated nicely.

After that the engine should not consume a large amount of oil. This differs per engine.
The oil consumption numbers specified by the manufacturer are usually numbers that say: if its higher than this, it needs a rebuild or its leaking.
If its lower, that's normal.

My 1750tbi consumes no oil at all between services (less than 250ml per 15kkm).
For more sportier engine like the V6 you shouldn't worry if it consumes less than 1l per 10000km
If it uses that 250ml/1.5kmiles mentioned by Clay19 tis a good idea to investigate.

My manual goes into a lot of detail, maybe you're on the wrong page?
See the attached PNG (or this link)
Thanks for the update! I have read the same page in my manual its the "synthetic-based" description that is a bit ambiguous. Semi-Synthetic could be classed as such.

It is an odd thing oil consumption. When I had my 145 1.8TS for example I was putting a litre of oil in every 500-600miles. Suppose in the end depends how hard you drive the car - the harder you drive it guessing it will consume a bit more oil? Its not leaking anywhere externally so I can only guess there is a bit getting through a seal somewhere and getting burnt off. Don't really notice any smoke whilst driving though. Odd.

Having a look around it seems fine to mix fully synthetic based oils with semi-synthetic oils so just going with 5W40 Fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
The seemingly high acceptable oil consumption mentioned in car handbooks is not what your car should be using. It's put there to protect the manufacturers from claims from drivers who damage their engines from letting the oil get too low. I worked for VW for about 15 years. In many VW handbooks it claims that engines could burn up to a litre of oil every 1000 miles! But no one reads that of course. So if you damage your engine due to low oil when it's 5000 miles old and they ask if you checked the oil the correct answer is yes. If you say no because is only 5000 miles old they will refer you to the handbook stating the potential oil usage.....sorry sir...no warranty claim for you! In reality we deemed anything over about a litre in 10,000 miles was too much and worthy of investigation. As said above many engines, particularly turbo diesels will burn far more oil in the first 10,000 miles than they will for the next 100,000...it's quite normal....so be aware of that and check regularly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the update! I have read the same page in my manual its the "synthetic-based" description that is a bit ambiguous. Semi-Synthetic could be classed as such.

It is an odd thing oil consumption. When I had my 145 1.8TS for example I was putting a litre of oil in every 500-600miles. Suppose in the end depends how hard you drive the car - the harder you drive it guessing it will consume a bit more oil? Its not leaking anywhere externally so I can only guess there is a bit getting through a seal somewhere and getting burnt off. Don't really notice any smoke whilst driving though. Odd.

Having a look around it seems fine to mix fully synthetic based oils with semi-synthetic oils so just going with 5W40 Fully synthetic oil.
This engine is known to consume some oil, especially after 100K miles. The hard part is pinning the consumption down to en exact figure. According to the manufacturer, 400ml/1000Km is alright. I am struggling to determine how much exactly mine is using. Dexos2 compliant 5w40 oil is recommended. For example Castrol Edge titanium fst 5w40.

When you say "investigate" what exactly do you have in mind? compression? With the 3 catalytic converters, you won't see any blue smoke coming out of the pipes, that is for sure. How would you diagnose a faulty engine, apart from Engine off, disassembly of all parts, checking all the parameters, rework if necessary and reassembly. I am aware of several cases in which colleagues did that, rebuilt the engines and it still used oil as before.

In all cases, do not let the level get below the half way between MIN and MAX. Those timing chains need lubrication.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So checked the oil yesterday again and it seems fine (added 1/2 litre or so). However the oil level sensor appears not to be working as its showing empty also the oil dipstick indicator is on the display panel.

Guessing the sensor is either faulty or gunked up. It didn't show when I started the engine after adding the oil but did this morning. Fining this a bit frustrating as it's making me paranoid now! Still no pools of oil under the car so happy with that.

I'll make a note of this and make sure it gets looked at in the next service. :)]

EDIT: Just been out in the car at lunchtime. The oil gauge has returned and is registering full?! The dipstick indicator has also returned. Odd. :)

Maybe it reset itself or something. Will keep an eye on that... Joys of Alfa ownership :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
So checked the oil yesterday again and it seems fine (added 1/2 litre or so). However the oil level sensor appears not to be working as its showing empty also the oil dipstick indicator is on the display panel.

Guessing the sensor is either faulty or gunked up. It didn't show when I started the engine after adding the oil but did this morning. Fining this a bit frustrating as it's making me paranoid now! Still no pools of oil under the car so happy with that.

I'll make a note of this and make sure it gets looked at in the next service. :)]

EDIT: Just been out in the car at lunchtime. The oil gauge has returned and is registering full?! The dipstick indicator has also returned. Odd. :)

Maybe it reset itself or something. Will keep an eye on that... Joys of Alfa ownership :D
I think you'll only see the oil level gauge on the instrument panel if you turn the ignition on and don't start the engine straight away. Always use the proper dipstick anyway - the gauge is all over the place depending on how level the car is. I use Selenia STAR 5W40 - that's the recommended stuff in the manual I'm sure and make sure the oil filter is genuine AR. I'd hate to dstroy the engine for skimping on cheap parts.

·
Registered
260 Posts

What I was getting at is that there is a FIAT specification. Check that specification for details (on additives etc.. Anything that complies with the specification should be OK to use, and it also mentions the "OEM" oil the car came with, which I assume would be the "preferred" (although that has a lot to do with financials as well).

As per consumption, a liter every 1000km is just wrong, my old E46 used that much, because the piston rings were shot.
My old Lancia Delta Nuovo used to do that, because the valve stem seals were leaking (that is a fun job with the head still on, stories for another time).

Anything over a liter per 10kkm I wouldn't consider "normal" and anything over a liter per 5000km would warrant investigation.

Remember those VAG TFSI's that weren't repaired because VW said 1 liter per 1500km was normal? They all had poorly designed piston rings, and cut some corners to get higher mileage numbers. (you won't believe it, but my 2002 E46 318 without piston rings ran 6L/100km!). Some 3rd parties rebuilt them with bigger piston rings and all was well, but VW just stuck their heads in the sand. Turns out that wasn't the only time they did a little naughty to get better specs in the catalog.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts