Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know this is a topic that has been raised a few times before, but I'm trying to ascertain if I have one or two problems with my Brera.

About a week ago, whilst accelerating in 2nd gear, it started to hesitate / stutter at around 2,000rpm and this was followed by the common error messages "ASR / VDC / Hill Assist unavailable, please consult handbook", and the fuel gauge dropped to zero with the fuel warning light flashing. I pulled over, keys out of ignition for a few minutes, then carried on without any problems.

A couple of days later, the issue occurred again, this time followed by the "Check Engine" message, which stayed on. So, I spoke to the main dealer who advised that the stuttering is most likely an Air Flow Meter problem, but that the error messages are unrelated. I decided to get a second opinion from my local indy - they have since flushed the fuel system, including cleaning out the tank, and fitted new spark plugs as there was a misfire diagnosed on cylinders 2 and 4. The diagnostic no longer reports a misfire, so I assume the coil packs are ok too.

However, the car is still behaving exactly the same, although the "Check Engine" light has gone (probably reset during diagnostics) so the indy has advised the next step should be new Air Flow Meter.

So, my questions are:

1. is it likely that the Air Flow Meter is causing both the stuttering AND the error messages (both occurred at the same time - stuttering then errors)?

2. is it the Air Flow meter causing only the stuttering, and a second problem that is causing the error messages?

3. although the diagnostic is logging an MAF error, is it possible that the MAF is not at fault at all? In which case, any ideas what it could be before I order a new MAF?

The garages are now closed for Easter but I will try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and I will also get the battery checked at Halfords. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, battery tested at Halfords this morning and it appears to be ok, but the alternator test didn't register anything at all. The guy at Halfords said the battery is powering the car (for now) but is not being recharged by the alternator. Could this be the issue? Could a dodgy earth be causing the dead read out from the alternator?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the local garage flushed the fuel system, cleaned the tank, tested the injectors, fitted new plugs and checked the coil packs and... the car was still hesitating at around 2500rpm.

Today I decided to have a look myself and, in the space of 45 minutes, have diagnosed and fixed the problem. Three pieces of an old air filter must have previously disintegrated and found their way up to the grill side of the air mass meter, restricting the flow of air. Now running 100%!

Just wished I'd had the time to look at it two weeks ago, instead of heading straight for the local garage, but at least it's now got new plugs and has had a good fuel flush.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts