Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
No good for the 2.4... but the back boxes might be?

Are they completely open and what sort of price if you were to sell them without the whole system Gus?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are straight through Mikey,but they are not good on their own,but dont worry,2.4 system coming soon.:)

R

·
0 Posts
They are straight through Mikey,but they are not good on their own,but dont worry,2.4 system coming soon.:)
Gus, are you able to make/fit custom tailpipes, similar to the Brera S

How much of a weight saving compared to the original system

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Any plans for a 159 system?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mr Orange,
Once you start modding you are never finished!:cheese:
Getting custom manifolds fitted shortly....:)
Simon

C

·
0 Posts
Mr Orange,
Once you start modding you are never finished!:cheese:
Getting custom manifolds fitted shortly....:)
Simon
Excellent !
Looks like I may be fiddling with DPF soon and a bigger remap which obviously I HAVE to have .. so maybe the zorsts can wait. Just waiting til it gets dry, very limited opportunity to properly try out suspension; steering feel is amazing.

Keep us posted !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gus is there any possibility to make tailboxes for the TBI with the tailpipes just like the prodrives or something similar?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Gus is there any possibility to make tailboxes for the TBI with the tailpipes just like the prodrives or something similar?
as it's a turbo engine, surely keeping the backboxes and replacing the centre box with a straight through pipe would be better for both performance and sound?

·
Vendor
46,444 Posts
as it's a turbo engine, surely keeping the backboxes and replacing the centre box with a straight through pipe would be better for both performance and sound?
I haven't cut one open, but I'm pretty sure the small centre box (at least on the 2.2 and 3.2) is a straight-through type silencer, and it is also 2.75" in diameter which for this sort of output is actually rather large. The worst pinch points of the system are the primary cats up in the engine bay and at the back of the system where the centre pipe Ys off to send gas to the left & right hand backboxes; this part of the centre section uses a nasty pressed steel join and these parts and the entry pipes to the backboxes themselves are quite narrow bore, and then of course the internals of the rear boxes which could be improved by using a straight-through design of rear silencers.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I haven't cut one open, but I'm pretty sure the small centre box (at least on the 2.2 and 3.2) is a straight-through type silencer, and it is also 2.75" in diameter which for this sort of output is actually rather large. The worst pinch points of the system are the primary cats up in the engine bay and at the back of the system where the centre pipe Ys off to send gas to the left & right hand backboxes; this part of the centre section uses a nasty pressed steel join and these parts and the entry pipes to the backboxes themselves are quite narrow bore, and then of course the internals of the rear boxes which could be improved by using a straight-through design of rear silencers.
didn't realise they were 2.75 thought they were 2.5, that is pretty decent.

Agree that the Y split may not be good, but each backbox has only half the gas flow - they're massively big for 100hp going through.

Problem is due to the nature of turbo engines only way to make a four cylinder turbo sound good is by engineering resonating baffles/pipes in the back boxes, straight through will lose this and end up with a horrible generic farty noise the way I see it

·
Vendor
46,444 Posts
didn't realise they were 2.75 thought they were 2.5, that is pretty decent.

Agree that the Y split may not be good, but each backbox has only half the gas flow - they're massively big for 100hp going through.

Problem is due to the nature of turbo engines only way to make a four cylinder turbo sound good is by engineering resonating baffles/pipes in the back boxes, straight through will lose this and end up with a horrible generic farty noise the way I see it
The bore of the forks that come off the Y-piece is considerably smaller than 2.75" when you sum their surface areas, and the bends are not that nice. Definitely room for improvement here even if you used backboxes similar in design to the originals. But IMO the main area for improvement is cats & downpipe - hanging a cat off the side of the turbo is never a good idea for maximum performance. Again I've not had the opportunity to study the 1750TBI in any detail except for having a look from above & below, but if its anything like the 2.2 and 3.2 V6 then it makes even the GTAs manifold cats look not-that-bad..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The bore of the forks that come off the Y-piece is considerably smaller than 2.75" when you sum their surface areas, and the bends are not that nice. Definitely room for improvement here even if you used backboxes similar in design to the originals. But IMO the main area for improvement is cats & downpipe - hanging a cat off the side of the turbo is never a good idea for maximum performance. Again I've not had the opportunity to study the 1750TBI in any detail except for having a look from above & below, but if its anything like the 2.2 and 3.2 V6 then it makes even the GTAs manifold cats look not-that-bad..
yeah, as it's only got the 1 cat they've practically joined it to the turbo to get it heated up quick for the emissions testing I guess

Would like to get one of these on at some point and a 200cell cat further down/in place of the centre pipe:

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Ragazzon Edelstahl Kat-Ersatzrohr Ragazzon Edelstahl Kat-Ersatzrohr 32148

·
Vendor
46,444 Posts
I bet the engine would run so much cooler with one of those fitted..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts