Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to part with my excellent & reliable Brera because its only being used a runabout which is sacrilege and doesn't justify the running costs (18mpg this weather).

It is in above average condition given the age (12yrs) and mileage (115k) and has had the chains done, has a Vortex exhaust and remapped ecu and various other parts.

More here:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/alfa-rome...ed-leather-above-average-condition/1329205096

Its replacement is a friends top of the range, 1 previous owner, Citroen C5 2.7v6 diesel so not too massive a performance sacrifice but I expect to miss the Brera after a couple of days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Can I just say, unless it’s a financial reason you need to find £4K to make ends meet, I’d suggest removing that add.
You really have something special that is worth a lot more than what the asking price is. That money doesn’t go far. If you’re not in desperate need for quick cash, then leave it on a SORN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just say, unless it’s a financial reason you need to find £4K to make ends meet, I’d suggest removing that add.
You really have something special that is worth a lot more than what the asking price is. That money doesn’t go far. If you’re not in desperate need for quick cash, then leave it on a SORN.
That's a fair point, but due to lifestyle change and health issues, I can't see me ever driving it as an Alfa should be driven. It needs to go to a good home, be enjoyed and not sit miserably deteriorating under a car cover.

I blame my friend for selling his C5 - its the only used diesel I'd buy because I know he has maintained it regardless of expense and with 85k miles on a '08 plate, the price with full mot, and no advisories of £2500 was too tempting. Damn him for telling me he was selling it!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
178 Posts
I expect to miss the Brera after a couple of days.
:) No doubt you will! I had my 159 written off a few years ago and at the time had trouble sourcing a decent replacement Alfa. Ended up with an Mercedes Benz E320 CDI. It has been a great car but the moment I test drove the Brera (same as the one you are selling) it felt as though I was back home.

I would go for another drive in her and have a ponder. Also this car will be classic in years to come and will IMHO will go up in value because as time goes on they will get ever rarer and there were not that many sold to start with.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) No doubt you will! I had my 159 written off a few years ago and at the time had trouble sourcing a decent replacement Alfa. Ended up with an Mercedes Benz E320 CDI. It has been a great car but the moment I test drove the Brera (same as the one you are selling) it felt as though I was back home.

I would go for another drive in her and have a ponder. Also this car will be classic in years to come and will IMHO will go up in value because as time goes on they will get ever rarer and there were not that many sold to start with.
I might see if my brother-in-law will find room. He's a VW nut and has had a Scirocco under wraps for years and it doesn't compare to a Brera but he'd never admit that.

if it's not sold in a month I'll sorn it.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
If it's not being used I'd definitely get rid.
Cars need to be used not left standing for months on end, that can potentially do more harm than good.

Nice as these cars are, there's plenty of other Alfa models that will always be much more sought after.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's not being used I'd definitely get rid.
Cars need to be used not left standing for months on end, that can potentially do more harm than good.

Nice as these cars are, there's plenty of other Alfa models that will always be much more sought after.
Yes, otherwise you need to lay it up properly - drain all fluids, inject waxoyl into every cavity, support on blocks with the wheels removed and in a garage.

To just sorn it would mean resisting temptation and this would be torture.

I forgot to mention that I have some spares which are going on Ebay:

The original engine ecu in full working order (it was cloned onto another and this was then remapped)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283367349442

Nearside engine mount - used. Bought for the previous Brera but not needed. (£50)
Four 18" multispoke alloys in need of a major refurb (the ones on the video) (£200+ postage)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The deed is done. Drove the 70miles to swap the Brera for the C5 @ 29.5pmg - (that's at 50-55mph but setting off too early and dawdling was not easy and not enjoyable.)

Boy are they chalk and cheese. The C5 is very quiet and the Hydractive suspension isn't bad in sport setting but they missed an opportunity to give it an even stiffer setting. Just about adapted to the handling by the time I got home. I expect the dozen or so vehicles overtaken on the way back were surprised by the turn of speed of an old Citroen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Enjoy the C5. I use my 3.2 Q4 as a run about too, I thought about changing, but it's at 136k miles now, so not really worth it. I wouldn't find anything as good without outlaying a load of cash.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does this mean you'll be running off to the Citroen Forums now @Oldie?
Can't see there being the same passion on those forums! (tell me one that looks and sounds as good as any Alfa)

I will drop by from time to time and I'm particularly interested in Sizewell's engine results. I hope his time and money proves worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Neither can I. I have been running the 3.2 V6 Quattro Audi A3. And I’m still here. No sign up on any Audi forum.

Looking forward to spring, and hopefully being able to run both cars at the same time

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Enjoy the C5. I use my 3.2 Q4 as a run about too, I thought about changing, but it's at 136k miles now, so not really worth it. I wouldn't find anything as good without outlaying a load of cash.

Not sure you - know. I grabbed my low mileage A3 for £1,700. Price of a fortnight away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts