Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends

are in a process of removing the engine from my 07 brera.
came to the point yesterday where i need to remove both drive shafts in order to lift the engine up from the engine bay. removed everything from the hub on both sides so the drive shafts are actually loose BUT... Im trying to pull shafts out from the gearbox without any success.. According to e-Learn manual: "..remove the drive shaft from the gearbox.." well not really..

doesnt feel wright to pull any harder so may be someone here can give me an advice on how to proceed further

thank you very much :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
A crowbar has worked really well for me on other makes, the massive leverage makes it an easy job, i'd just gently move the driveshaft around until it can be popped out with just a little pressure on the crowbar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank you alfafanboy

its hard to get anything between the gearbox and the shaft.. especially on the right side of the vehicle. its worth a try anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi alfa 121
hehe
you took a wild guess i suppose? ;)

that is correct bought it as a DIY object in may 2015. have almost removed everything and now Im trying to remove the rest underneath the car before engine will be removed completly.
no workshop here in mid sweden have been working on the 3,2's earlier (there are a few registered) so I have to find the info myself. since the workshops charging aprox £6000 I prefer to do the job myself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Hi alfa 121
hehe
you took a wild guess i suppose? ;)

that is correct bought it as a DIY object in may 2015. have almost removed everything and now Im trying to remove the rest underneath the car before engine will be removed completly.
no workshop here in mid sweden have been working on the 3,2's earlier (there are a few registered) so I have to find the info myself. since the workshops charging aprox £6000 I prefer to do the job myself
i have a 3.2 159 found a bill for a replacement chain on mine .give your propshaft a good check over while its off the car.the bushes are weak .had mine repaired rather than buy a new one over £2000 for a new a one in the uk.mine has thicker bushes fitted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the "only" thing on mine is that steering rack has a free play in inner rod/connection. otherwise its a pretty decent car. only 80000km
have you done the job yourself? Chainging chain on your car?

wich bushes do you mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I'm watching any threads relating to the Brera 3.2 engine with interest. I bought mine cheaply just over a week ago, knowing that the chains needed doing. Any tips to save me reinventing the wheel are very appreciated.
Cheers, D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I struggled like anything getting the right side driveshaft out on my 159 3.2 Q4 - the left almost fell out. I checked numerous times it wasn't captive and I had missed something - it simply would not shift. Wedged in crowbars, pry bars, chisels behind chisels, seem to recall I even had some form of jacking bolt in there. I was nearly reaching for an angle grinder.

Eventually I used a flat tipped punch and a lump hammer - and it fell out as easy as anything after one tap.

Compared to the left hand side, there was evidence of fretting corrosion on the splines. A good cleanup and a smear of anti-seize when it went back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm watching any threads relating to the Brera 3.2 engine with interest. I bought mine cheaply just over a week ago, knowing that the chains needed doing. Any tips to save me reinventing the wheel are very appreciated.
Cheers, D.
Ive seen that you are on my thread. Im now in a process to find cheap parts while building up my brera. Mine was pretty damaged
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I struggled like anything getting the right side driveshaft out on my 159 3.2 Q4 - the left almost fell out. I checked numerous times it wasn't captive and I had missed something - it simply would not shift. Wedged in crowbars, pry bars, chisels behind chisels, seem to recall I even had some form of jacking bolt in there. I was nearly reaching for an angle grinder.

Eventually I used a flat tipped punch and a lump hammer - and it fell out as easy as anything after one tap.

Compared to the left hand side, there was evidence of fretting corrosion on the splines. A good cleanup and a smear of anti-seize when it went back in.
I just pulled harder ;)
It fell of finally. Now im struggling with other stuff..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I'm about to pull the driveshafts out. Any issues with loss of fluids that I should be worried about? I don't want to drain the gearbox if it can be avoided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Oh!

Any chance of a picture of this..?
The pictures I've taken are too big - there's a 512kB limit. Imagine Deepwater Horizon, Exxon Valdez, Torrey Canyon etc and you'll get the idea. Just no wildlife involved! I've attached a picture of what I put in the driveshaft hole. Perfect fit!
I did drain the gearbox oil as it was dark brown. Obviously not "sealed for life". After 10 years and 100,000km it was stuffed.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Engine is now out. Doing the chains etc, oil temperature sensor and oil pressure switch. Gone well to date but a small hold up removing the harmonic balancer... I gave up last night with it still stuck on the end of the crankshaft.

The next day I got it off really easily. Refer to my separate thread for details.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top