Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Hoping anyone can point me in the right direction..
I've recently bought a Brera 1750 tbi.

Things were good in the beginning (accept from some minor fixable details) but now randomly the car won't start/ignite.

- I put the key in the slot, apply the break and press the start button.
- Starter motor runs for a few moments but the engine will not start.
- Do this for a few times and the weird clacking noise appears, locking the key. Now weird low power stuff happens (hill control, engine warnings, abs, etc etc)
- When I disconnect the battery for half an hour and try again, it starts!

Dealer (sigh..) can't find the problem..! They replaced the battery but problems remain. When the car is there it doesn't happen..
It's totally random.. could not happen for a week and suddenly for 2 days straight. When 'fixed' by disconnecting the battery I can do 20 start cycles, without any problem..

Anyone :) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the car but not so much it's mood...

A 'reboot' by disconnecting the battery makes it start. After connecting it again the car needs to be reset, having all the window/hill assist/etc errors. I called the AA the other day, they attached it to their battery, made it start too.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The only thing that you should need to do after a battery disconnect
is reset the windows.

There is definitely something not right.

From your description is does seem like a battery or battery connection issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Battery is probably dead. Get it tested, or buy new one, also check earth from battery to chassis, clean contacts etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this is Alfa magic, but it doesn't make sense to me :depressed:
Why would the starter run if there is not enough power (would assume that nothing would happen?).
Disconnecting for 30mins and connecting again, engine starts. If the battery was poor, reconnecting it would not change it's output? Battery has been replaced already.

Or is there some error loop the EMU gets stuck in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts