Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have been looking all over the forum for a picture showing the result of this specific setup: BRERA 2.4JTDM 210cv + Bilstein B8 + Eibach Pro Kit.

We all know diesels ride is higher on the brera... so I was wondering if this setup would lower the ride, but I am worried it would make it look like a 50cent-kind of car.

- Does anyone have any pictures of how the ride height is affected?
- How much should I expect it to cost in total?

THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I don't think you're going to get a direct answer to your question, but you should be able to piece together the answer from other threads.

B6 vs B8 is the first part. B8's have a shorter piston for lower / shorter springs (30mm+ drop) so a B6 is fine for the Pro-Kit as they only drop you 20-30mm.

http://www.bilstein.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/infoblatt_b6_b8_en_35.pdf
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/129767-bilstein-b6-vs-bilstein-b8.html

If you want to see what they ride / drop / look like on another 2.4 with the same chassis, look at this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/369138-159-ti-suspension-upgrade-advice.html

I went for a B12 kit (B6 + matched Pro Kit Springs)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
so would I get a lower ride with the B8, as compared to the B6?

Thank you ! :)
Short answer YES but with shorter spring and shock piston rod , comes less compliant ie not great unless on really smooth tarmac -- ok for circuits though . Another point to bare in mind is that'll you'll have trouble trying to get a good geo set-up , even with Powerflex adjusters (talk to Ned ?)

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
As Rob says, probably yes.

The shorter rod would pre-load the spring which would shorten it leading to a slightly lower ride than the same spring on a B6, how much lower is hard to predict. Robs points about compliance etc are all valid. Their is no difference in damping rates between the two shocks but pre-loading the spring and shortening its travel will harden the ride further and the B6 is hard enough!

The B8 is designed for the sportline range of springs which drop the car 40-50mm and Eibach don't make sportline springs for our cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for your clear answers ;) I'll stick to the B6 then.

Although, as you said, it is hard to predict, how much you reckon the height in a 2.4JTDM brera will lower with the B6+eibachs? If you provide a range, that would be great!

How much does it usually cost installing B6+eibachs in the UK? I'm abroad thats why I would like to have a reference to know if I'm being ripped off!

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much, JabawokJayUK. :thumbs:

So, if I understand correctly, after the B12 setup settled the ride lowered around 4cm (compared to the lusso).

I assume that having a standard 2.4JTDM brera (without any special suspension, or TI) it would also lower those 4cm... couldn't that look too much of a "racing" car, i.e. the wheels hidden under the arches? Wouldn't it be hitting constantly when the car is packed with 4 people?

thank you again! :)

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Speak to Ned at Autolusso. He is working with Eibach on some standard Ti ride height pro-kit springs. This would match perfectly with the B6 shock and only lower the car 2cm from lusso height.

My Ti does not bottom out, catch on speed bumps, or cause any problems with the ride height and the tops of the wheels are in the arches, as can be seen from the images in the thread I linked to.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I ordered the Pro-Kit from eBay, got a phone call last week saying they didn't have them on the shelf so would have to place the order direct with eibach.

Anyway, they came today so I've booked in the garage to have them put on at same time as doing my clutch (apparently half of the front suspension needs to come apart anyway, so I got it a bit cheaper as a one jobber)

Just got home to see them, they are red....
The box says Pro-kit, the order is Pro-kit, all pictures of Pro-kits are black.
Sportlines are red....

I've looked and seen that sportline will lower a little bit more than the Pro-kit but I don't have the money to change the dampers, so do you:

A) think I have the sportlines or the Pro-kit as ordered
B) get away with stock shocks for a few months if they are the sportline.

I don't want to go through the hassle of sending them back, waiting another two weeks, bla di bla...

Plus, I have a snapped rear spring so am wanting to get the springs changed ASAP

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the colour, usually the picture would just be of a stock item for all Pro-Kits.

If it makes you feel better, this is a pic from Alfisti of the Pro-kit for a Brera, it's small but they're definitely red! :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That's a bit of a reassurance... :lol:

Would somebody who has the Pro-kit fitted be able to confirm the colour???

They are going on tomorrow regardless, just wondering if I need to get dampers in the next few months too

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cheers guys...
Cars in the garage all day today. Get back sometime tomorrow with nice new clutch and a lower, more aggressive stance....

Smiles all around...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts