Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had new top strut mounts fitted (Febi) when put new front shockers on (Bilstein B4's I think).
There's a knocking noise appeared which wasn't there before replacing the parts.
Garage says there is play and that's where the knock is coming from???
Also had new bottom bushes and top arms replaced.
I'm not a mechanic so I rely on other people/garages to do the work for me.
Any help or advice please?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had new top strut mounts fitted (Febi) when put new front shockers on (Bilstein B4's I think).
There's a knocking noise appeared which wasn't there before replacing the parts.
Garage says there is play and that's where the knock is coming from???
Also had new bottom bushes and top arms replaced.
I'm not a mechanic so I rely on other people/garages to do the work for me.
Any help or advice please?
I fitted bilstein front shocks last year, they came with a nut but no washer for the top mount. When the nut reached the end of the threaded section of the shock tube it still wasn't tight to the top mount once the weight of the car was on it and would have knocked and rattled in use. I reused the old washers and this was enough to keep things tight, perhaps the garage has been caught out with this if their kit didn't come with washers either?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, yes that's probably what's happened, not put the washers on etc.
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea what size or where I can get replacements as I need to fit them to make it right?
Garage no longer has my old parts and due to some other previous issues I will not be using that garage again, ever!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any idea what size or where I can get replacements as I need to fit them to make it right?
Garage no longer has my old parts and due to some other previous issues I will not be using that garage again, ever!!!
Any good thick washer will do, so your local motor factors/hardware store/industrial or agricultural merchant ought to be able to supply them. It's a 17mm nut, so as long as the washer is the same diameter you'll be fine.
You don't need to strip everything apart, just undo the top nut, drop the washer in and put the nut back on. An offset 17mm spanner for the nut and an Allen key or socket (can't remember the size) to lock the strut tube are all the tools needed

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cheers, thanks again for the help and advice.
Just re-read what I wrote last night and thought I'd best clarify that when I said you don't need to strip everything apart I meant you don't even need to remove the shock from the car, simply pop the bonnet and undo the top nut. The weight of the car will keep the assembly from coming apart when the nut is removed.
I've been shown a few mechanical fail videos lately where people have tried fixing things themselves and it's put the fear in me, so in case someone else reads this in the future and thinks they might want to remove the top nut with the shock off the car and no spring compressors in place because that's what it looks like I've said above - don't do it, it won't end well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts