Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so today I had a very odd experience.

I’ve been on holiday and haven’t driven my Alfa Brera 2.4 56plate in about 3 weeks.

Went to start it today and it fired up no problem, decided to fill the tank up so drove to the petrol station which is only a minute drive away.
Filled her up but when I went to drive off the car wouldn’t start.
There was no electrical power at all.
The ignition wouldn’t work, the key wouldn’t work, the hazards wouldn’t work, it was completely dead.
I instantly thought the battery is flat so pushed the car a few feet to get it out of the way, tried to start it again but still absolutely nothing.
Popped to Halfords and bought some jump leads.
Came back after about 20 mins, popped the bonnet but was told I couldn’t jump it on the petrol station forecourt.
However before I pushed it out of the petrol station I tried to start it again and out of the blue it magically had electricity again and fired up.
I drove it for about 30 mins and everything was fine.

Now I’m not quite sure what happened and how it magically fixed itself. Maybe that’s part of the Alfa charm.

If it was a flat battery then it wouldn’t have started again. Remember that pushing the car didn’t make it start as I tried that.

My guess is that opening the bonnet and slamming it shut maybe moved something that fixed it.

Anyone got any ideas of what it could be?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
When it started the second time, did it throw up any warning signs on the dash?
I'd change the battery if it's not had one for a while. They don't like a weak battery.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Your issue could also be caused by corrosion on the battery poles or corrosion where the earth strap from the negative battery pole is connected to the body.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sounds like a bad conection under the battery conections or one of the earth cables.
With the battery conections remove the earth, the front one First then loosen, wiggle about and retighten the positive one then remove the 13mm bolt that holds the earth to the body, they suffer with corrosion underneath them, clean with some fine sandpaper, lightly grease and refit.
There is another earth hidden right under the battery, you can either take the battery tray out to get to it to clean it or buy another earth cable, about £5 on ebay and fit it from the battery earthing point to a bolt on the engine, one on the cam box is ideal.
A 24'' is the size you'll need.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The negative terminal on these cars is ALWAYS lose....it seems impossible to make that quick release connector be any tighter....I can twist mine around with next to no hand pressure......might change it for a proper bolt on one.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The original batteries have a very slightly larger negative terminal that most replacement batteries , but a short length of copper earth wire from house 2.5mm twin and earth between the post and clamp pads them out just right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts