Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,new member here from Portugal,i've seen a few threads on this forum about removing the resonator box on the 2.4JTDm but all of them ended without the person who was going to perform the mod not saying anything else at all..

So my questions are,is it safe to simply remove the resonator? What can i use to plug the two holes in the MAF pipe?

I already have a BMC air filter,and like many other users here i just want that little bit more induction noise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The resonator box is there to reduce the noise, so I reakon that blanking it might just get you what you're after. How big are the ports that need bunging?
I might have a go at turning some up on nights. :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Be careful as sometimes resonator boxes are there to smooth the flow through the MAF and prevent incorrect readings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I have wondered why the air goes in to the resonator before the maf and out after. Surely that's unmetered air getting in. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I have wondered why the air goes in to the resonator before the maf and out after. Surely that's unmetered air getting in. Does anyone know?
It doesn't flow through the resonator, it's two separate chambers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same question I asked a few months ago, same answer from Coxy :thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The holes are about 12mm in diameter,now the problem is,and Coxy may be the best person to answer this question, lets suppose taking out the resonator does nothing wrong to the engine,should the plugs be closed shut at the end or should the plugs have somekind of vent so that the sound can "get out" but no foreign particles can get in the pipe and mess up the engine?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Don't mess with the induction any more than dropping a K&N filter in the box.
It's a very complex and tuned component. I've messed and have now reverted back.

My resonator is still on the car.
Put your efforts and attention in to other areas. There is no cheap quick fix or snake oil solutions.

My advise is to get a top quality remap from Gus, then once you've picked your jaw up off the floor decide if you want to take it further.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Its preferable to keep it there unless you are re-designing the whole intake, it helps keeps the air moving in the right direction, as otherwise you get all sorts of pulses and other disruptive phenomena going on in there.

It will reduce noise, it also gives better flow for the same diameter of inlet without it and the MAF is better able to accurately measure the flow and thus the ECU calculate the volume.

If you just take it out, you will lose a few ponies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts