Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I'm about to do and oil change and need to know if Castrol GTX 10-40 would be ok to use or does it have to be a fully synthetic oil type? Thing is I have 4ltrs of GTX from a previous car I had and would only need to purchase another 2ltrs.Cheers Jerry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does the JTDM still have a DPF?

If so, will need to be C2/C3 spec.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
I wouldn't even use GTX 10W40 in my Fiat Cinquecento...

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
You really need 0/5w for the engine. 10w will be very poor at low temperatures

·
Registered
368 Posts
Changed mine today,
Euro Car Parts - Tripple QX 5w-40 fully synthetic. On special tonight with promo code (Easter20). If you apply promo code (Marchmad) also as you can get 5ltrs for £15.85 !!!. Offer ends midnight tonight.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
You need a fully synth 5w40 oil and Acea c3 if you still have a dpf.The 10w40 will probably be only semi synthetic.
Opie oils have Fuchs at a good price, I would stay away from that cheap qx stuff, I used it as a flushing oil once and after running for about an hour it came out like water, thinner than quality oil that had been in there for 8k.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You need a fully synth 5w40 oil and Acea c3 if you still have a dpf.The 10w40 will probably be only semi synthetic.
Opie oils have Fuchs at a good price, I would stay away from that cheap qx stuff, I used it as a flushing oil once and after running for about an hour it came out like water, thinner than quality oil that had been in there for 8k.
Oil is always a hypothetical debate but the product (Tripple QX in this case) is regulated against industry and advertising standards hence no reason to doubt suitability. Some say that it is manufactured by Shell, and like lots of others, is the product of a major oil producer but in a differently branded can.

Ive ran many a high performance motorcycle (and cars) with oils not necessarily recommended by the manufacturer (although the same specification) and have never had any issues and you have to wonder whether or not corporate brand loyalty (and associated supply chain discounts) is the primary driver for recommending use of a particular brand!?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Oil is always a hypothetical debate but the product (Tripple QX in this case) is regulated against industry and advertising standards hence no reason to doubt suitability. Some say that it is manufactured by Shell, and like lots of others, is the product of a major oil producer but in a differently branded can.

Ive ran many a high performance motorcycle (and cars) with oils not necessarily recommended by the manufacturer (although the same specification) and have never had any issues and you have to wonder whether or not corporate brand loyalty (and associated supply chain discounts) is the primary driver for recommending use of a particular brand!?
Just by way of a quick update, I've just been down to Euro Car Parts and have bought a tanker full of the stuff to keep me going whilst at the discounted price. I took the opportunity to speak with one of their buyer re the origins of Tripple QX oil, and whilst not 100% without consulting files, stated It was either Shell or ESSO, two of the worlds largest producers of motor oil.

Triple QX it would seem provide a vast array of different automotive products, engine oil included which has seemingly been procured in vast quantities (at discount) from commercial giants such as shell and ESSO but branded their own. On this basis, whist QX is not on the surface the most desirable brand, I'm happy to use it.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Oil is supposed to look like water when it is hot.

How "Thick" an oil is means nothing in relation to how well it protects an engine. In fact if the oil is too thick you can get cavitation in bearings (Pockets of vaccum) as well as worse oil circulation.

Triple QX is a pretty decent oil. Not the best in the world, but for the price it is very good value.

I would use it in my G, but the C2 spec is more expensive than fuchs Titan GT1, so it gets that instead.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Oil is supposed to look like water when it is hot.

How "Thick" an oil is means nothing in relation to how well it protects an engine. In fact if the oil is too thick you can get cavitation in bearings (Pockets of vaccum) as well as worse oil circulation.

Triple QX is a pretty decent oil. Not the best in the world, but for the price it is very good value.

I would use it in my G, but the C2 spec is more expensive than fuchs Titan GT1, so it gets that instead.
Ive seen enough hot oil to know what it should look like, and if its loosing its grade after an hour more than a quality oil does after 8k miles it cant be the best.
You pay your money and make your own choice, oil is cheaper than metal, even if you pay a few quid more for a known brand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts